I cant start my nitrogen cycle

VSingapore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers.. I proudly bought my first marine aquarium and cant wait to dive deeper into the joys of fish and coral keeping. Its been 6 days since my aquarium was set-up and I don't see any elevation in Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.. argh.. (testing with API test kit and Seachen Ammonia Alert)!! Have I used the wrong product to start the cycle? I was recommended to buy Tropic Marin Nitribiotic which I dosed as prescribed on the first day.. nothing is happening! For the bacteria I used Dr Tims One and Only, Microbacter, Caribsea live sand and Aquaforest Life Bio Fit for biological filter. Please help.. am I just being inpatient? or did I do something wrong?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing shows up unless you put in an ammonia source to get things started. Is one of those an ammonia product, or are they all just bacteria? Add a dead shrimp, or some fish food, even cat food that can rot and feed the bacteria. Don't add much, just something.
Gl

OP
OP
V

VSingapore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh.. I thought that the Tropic Marin product I was given would start the cycle.. So how much fish food to put into a system of 160 litres? Maybe I have "too much" bacteria product so I need to add a fair bit of fish or cat food?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh.. I thought that the Tropic Marin product I was given would start the cycle.. So how much fish food to put into a system of 160 litres? Maybe I have "too much" bacteria product so I need to add a fair bit of fish or cat food?
A pinch or two to start, or look into purchasing a product like Dr. Tim Ammonia product and follow those directions?
Here is another thread that talks about both ghost feeding and Ammonia Chloride.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always just used live rock, never worried about cycling, just was careful to allow time for bacteria to grow and added new fish slowly, less than 1/month. The bacteria and other micro fauna that marine life needs to have in an artificial system to thrive and be healthy takes time to culture. hth

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thank you everyone! Just bought and dosed Dr Tim Ammonium Chloride.. haha.. feeling a bit stupid. Thank you again!!
Cool. You are on your way. These positive interactions are what the forum is supposed to provide a platform for and it seems to be working fine for this instance. Glad you asked so we could feel helpful!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw a raw shrimp in a mesh bag or nylon with a knot tied in it .
throw it in and let it rot .
that’s plenty of ammonia to kick start a healthy biological filter

in the passed , I didn’t use the mesh bag ,
And as it rotted , it would eventually disappear

Back