I drank the Kessil Koolaid!

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion, get yourself some small black zip ties at Lowe’s and the cords can be hidden really well. Love my Kessils too...
ad8c87fd70fa70987bad48845c5f7598.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did I miss this thread!?!? Looking Good! That koolaid is delicious isn't it lol :) you can pick up cables at Wal-Mart in the electronics section for a couple of bucks

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13% is the minimum intensity you can do with A360s. Start from there, or around 25% and they go up slowly.
Any 3.5mm audio jack connectors will work for the controller cable. They cost like 5$ in electronics store, while in LFS the kessil branded ones cost 18$

myyellas2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to highjack - but I also got a Kessil A360, with the gooseneck -BUT on my corner tank, the lip is ridiculous and the gooseneck hangs horribly at like a 20-30* angle. Making the kessil about 5” at the max off the water.

What can I do, besides setting up wire from the ceiling (wife will kill me)

navathehutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jrodstrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the type of coral you have, I would honestly just run one. A 160 could handle your tank by itself, two 360s is a ton of power. Be careful.

Ben Seaver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC has a similar sized tank running double 360's just inside their door. Colors are amazing!!! Pick yourself up a Rose Tip Bubble Anenome, looks like burning flames under these...

It’s that exact tank that made me decide to switch to kessils..lol. Small world.

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about all the major and some of the minor LED fixtures until my eyeballs became less moist...and, as I'm sure you've guessed from the title, I have landed on a pair of Kessil A360WE with the A series controller for my little 20 gallon long (supreme overkill!!!) They should arrive within the week.

Overkill, because we will be re-purposing these lights in the next year or two after we move into our permanent house and setup a proper reef. (Where they will most likely be transplanted into a T5HO hybrid fixture).

In any case, my main question is after deciding to spend a great deal of money on these 2 fixtures, goose necks, and a controller...do i really have to spend another $20 on what looks like a standard male-to-male TRS(tip-ring-sleeve) cable? There is no way that this thing is that special, is it?

So, I ask of you other Koolaid drinkers, have you ever taken this cable and toned it out, is it just a standard 3.5mm TRS...because it looks like it!

On a separate note, I intend to start with the acclimation mode, since we are moving from a Current Orbit (not the pro) to these beautiful/powerful things...would you all suggest a good intensity to acclimate to? We are talking about 12" total depth and mixed reef population. Our most light hungry monster is a piece of WWC Grafted Cap sitting about 3-4" below the surface, and I will die (my wife will kill me) if I burn this beautiful piece!

I know the real answer is get a PAR meter, which is likely on the way, but if someone has already resolved this mystery, then I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.
The cable is a standard 3.5mm audio cable.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13% is the minimum intensity you can do with A360s. Start from there, or around 25% and they go up slowly.
Any 3.5mm audio jack connectors will work for the controller cable. They cost like 5$ in electronics store, while in LFS the kessil branded ones cost 18$

From what I tried, the minimum intensity varies. I help a friend to setup, his minimum is 16%. Mine is 11%. So make sure you actually try it out, increase from 10% until it lights up.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about all the major and some of the minor LED fixtures until my eyeballs became less moist...and, as I'm sure you've guessed from the title, I have landed on a pair of Kessil A360WE with the A series controller for my little 20 gallon long (supreme overkill!!!) They should arrive within the week.

Overkill, because we will be re-purposing these lights in the next year or two after we move into our permanent house and setup a proper reef. (Where they will most likely be transplanted into a T5HO hybrid fixture).

In any case, my main question is after deciding to spend a great deal of money on these 2 fixtures, goose necks, and a controller...do i really have to spend another $20 on what looks like a standard male-to-male TRS(tip-ring-sleeve) cable? There is no way that this thing is that special, is it?

So, I ask of you other Koolaid drinkers, have you ever taken this cable and toned it out, is it just a standard 3.5mm TRS...because it looks like it!

On a separate note, I intend to start with the acclimation mode, since we are moving from a Current Orbit (not the pro) to these beautiful/powerful things...would you all suggest a good intensity to acclimate to? We are talking about 12" total depth and mixed reef population. Our most light hungry monster is a piece of WWC Grafted Cap sitting about 3-4" below the surface, and I will die (my wife will kill me) if I burn this beautiful piece!

I know the real answer is get a PAR meter, which is likely on the way, but if someone has already resolved this mystery, then I'd rather not re-invent the wheel.
I just took PAR readings from my kessil A360W and was not impressed, under my 40 nuvo the light was great but I had two over a 4 foot tank and was def not enough. Anyway about 8 inches above the water maybe 4 inches from the top I was averaging only 150 PAR at full intensity...yeah was kinda surprised. So I sold mine and went with a photon V2 4 foot fixture from reef breeders, 10 inches off the water about 4 inches down I was almost at 350 PAR!!! and only at 60%.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I used kessils but until I put that PAR meter under them I never knew, my 40 nuvo stuff grew like crazy, but It wasn't covering my 4 foot tank, and my tank is only 12 inches deep, was only getting 40-50 PAR on my sand bed. The meter my friend used was a good one the apogee LED one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back