I drank the Kessil Koolaid!

GrampaDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info here. I graduated from a 160 to a 265 g and dint add lights. So i was reading lots and was ready to get 2 Atlantic LEDs.
So i call BRS and discussed my problem and Ryan recommended adding more Kessil 360s to add par. [i have a sensor/multimeter par thingy] for a total of 6.
I have the 3 new ones to add and waiting for controler cables now.

I like the Koolaid. But I also use 4 t5s with mine. And will think about moving my light's from 10 inch's to 8 inch's.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took PAR readings from my kessil A360W and was not impressed, under my 40 nuvo the light was great but I had two over a 4 foot tank and was def not enough. Anyway about 8 inches above the water maybe 4 inches from the top I was averaging only 150 PAR at full intensity...yeah was kinda surprised. So I sold mine and went with a photon V2 4 foot fixture from reef breeders, 10 inches off the water about 4 inches down I was almost at 350 PAR!!! and only at 60%.

According to Kessil, PAR and LUX meters don’t give true output reading of their lights. I asked if they could be turned down low enough for moonlight and the said no and gave me an explanation,

“The lights will be too bright to use for moonlighting. The dense LED matrix in the A360s functions as one unit, powered together. Without enough power the matrix does not illuminate properly and the light can behave erratically. The problem with using a LUX meter is the same as with a PAR meter, it only measures between 400nm and 700nm, and can have an error rate of up to 50% near the 400nm mark where the most usable peaks of light are. Additionally, lux and par do not distinguish between wavelengths, so it is not measuring the usable light by the corals. I think the best unbiased information will probably be from one of our customers online who have a similar setup to your own. I am hoping we will have compiled our data from the numerous tools used to measure output and wavelengths at our facility and converted it to an understandable table in the near future!”

I personally have not had an issue growing corals with them. My only issue with them is coverage due to the layout of my tank and color rendering. Both of which can be solved very easily.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing i noticed recently. After 2 years of hydra 52s i never had much coraline. After just a few months of adding 4x kessils i have coraline on the glass.

Before you jump to any conclusions about causaution however keep in mind i now have more light hitting the glass period w 7 fixtures vs my previous 3.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing i noticed recently. After 2 years of hydra 52s i never had much coraline. After just a few months of adding 4x kessils i have coraline on the glass.

Before you jump to any conclusions about causaution however keep in mind i now have more light hitting the glass period w 7 fixtures vs my previous 3.

And I have the exact opposite. I used to have thick sheets, now it’s falling off glass,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back