I GOT A NEW TOY

  • Thread starter Thread starter RJ F.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RJ F.

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2018
Messages
461
Reaction score
404
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. So I just got an awesome troubleshooting tool for my job. I'm a hydraulic specialist and often times excessive heat in a hydraulic circuit indicates a problem. I used to use an infrared temp gun but its alot of guess work.

So I got a FLIR. Some may know what it is, but if you do not, I will show you. Instead of just reading temps wherever the gun is shooting, this is a digital camera that shows you the whole meat and potatoes of what you're looking at.

So why am I posting g this in a reef forum? Because this has allowed me to pinpoint exactly where heat is being generated as well as gives me a calibrated temp of the tank.

So without further ado...
20190514_193330.jpg
20190514_193245.jpg
20190514_194548.jpg
 
I cant believe how sensitive they are. If I stand in front of my aquarium it will pick up my reflection in the glass. When I first checked my tank it was saying 92 degrees then with a closer look I could see my outline. Really crazy
 
Hey yall. So I just got an awesome troubleshooting tool for my job. I'm a hydraulic specialist and often times excessive heat in a hydraulic circuit indicates a problem. I used to use an infrared temp gun but its alot of guess work.

So I got a FLIR. Some may know what it is, but if you do not, I will show you. Instead of just reading temps wherever the gun is shooting, this is a digital camera that shows you the whole meat and potatoes of what you're looking at.

So why am I posting g this in a reef forum? Because this has allowed me to pinpoint exactly where heat is being generated as well as gives me a calibrated temp of the tank.

So without further ado...
20190514_193330.jpg
20190514_193245.jpg
20190514_194548.jpg

So what did you learn from this example? I imagine the light being on screws with the reading.
 
So what did you learn from this example? I imagine the light being on screws with the reading.

I have the tank set for 77 degrees. So I dont think the light affected it too much. It's a little cooler today but I'm sure in the summer it will be a dif story.

I will get some pics of the sump. I know the refugium light sits at 100 degrees
 
Here is the sump. I was surprised to find that the only noticeable hot spot was in fact the refugium light. I use a DC return pump so that helps. No readings on the skimmer. In one picture you can see the water running through my carbon reactor. Pretty cool.
20190515_061945.jpg
20190515_062002.jpg
20190515_062020.jpg
 
thanks man, would love to see closeups of your equipment.
so a 100f is like humen body temp right..
i would expect that your heater would be the hottest one.. lamp makes sence tough as its constant.
 
thanks man, would love to see closeups of your equipment.
so a 100f is like humen body temp right..
i would expect that your heater would be the hottest one.. lamp makes sence tough as its constant.

I have to find a way to turn off the reflective thermal imaging. It keeps picking up my reflection in the glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new