I may be thinking crazy. RedSea tank.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I acquired a RedSea reefer 525xl and it had some funky plumbing work done and a bunch of excess silicone. And it looks like it may of been drilled second hand some I question the plumbing now. Here is where I’m thinking crazy what if I cut out the center overflow and expose the holes. Take a 1/2 cut of glass and silicone up the original holes. Then I’d like to order a coast to coast overflow. And then drill holes for the over flow and two return lines. The back wall isn’t tempered is it? And am I crazy for doing this to a RedSea tank!?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt do it. One wrong move and youll break somthing.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO: You're not crazy for thinking it if you got the tank really cheap (or free).

I honestly have no idea if any of the glass in Red Sea tanks is tempered. But it is a pretty safe bet that you'll always be wondering 'what if' if you set the tank up as is rather than how you really want to.

If you don't have a lot of money invested in the tank and are comfortable taking a risk, I'd say go for it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

On the other hand, if you paid a pretty good amount for the tank -- say 60-100% retail -- then it might worth doing some serious contemplation before committing to your plan.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to how comfortable you are taking the risk ... and how upset you'll be if something should happen to wrong, the glass breaks, and you're out the money you spent on it.

Forget that it was made by Red Sea. If it were a no-name tank and you spent the same amount of money on it, would you be willing to take the risk and try what you have planned?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back