I need help with aggression

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. I went to the lfs this weekend and picked up some new fish, one of which was a biota yellow tang. Since being introduced he has been beat up pretty bad. My sailfin and kole tang have him cornered on the tank and if he moves from that spot he gets attacked. He has a small gash on one side and his fins are all but gone. I couldn’t get a pic of the gash but I have a pic of the fin damage. I can’t sit and babysit him as much as I would love to but that’s not feasible. Any suggestions? Or is he a goner?
44F383CB-9E4B-4C79-A848-509CFE0CC65B.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tangs are ruthless . And will not give in .
You can try removing the sailfin , rearranging the rocks ,
Or even placing a mirror in the tank ( dollar store make up mirrors with the handle work amazing
Chances are the yellow will not make it or you might have to try returning it before it’s too late

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tangs are ruthless . And will not give in .
You can try removing the sailfin , rearranging the rocks ,
Or even placing a mirror in the tank ( dollar store make up mirrors with the handle work amazing
Chances are the yellow will not make it or you might have to try returning it before it’s too late
I’ve been trying all day to catch the sailfin. He is very elusive. I’ve tried the mirror but my aquarium is somewhat mirrored so they see themselves in the glass so it isn’t very effective. I am gonna buy a trap, hopefully the little guy can hold off that long, and I’m getting rid of the sailfin. He already killed one fish when I first started the tank. And I even put them in there together. What’s really surprising is how aggressive the kole is towards him. I didn’t think they were that aggressive but he has actually been worse than the sailfin it seems. Sucks! Lol
Thanks for the reply.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying all day to catch the sailfin. He is very elusive. I’ve tried the mirror but my aquarium is somewhat mirrored so they see themselves in the glass so it isn’t very effective. I am gonna buy a trap, hopefully the little guy can hold off that long, and I’m getting rid of the sailfin. He already killed one fish when I first started the tank. And I even put them in there together. What’s really surprising is how aggressive the kole is towards him. I didn’t think they were that aggressive but he has actually been worse than the sailfin it seems. Sucks! Lol
Thanks for the reply.
Perhaps if the kole and sailfin get along. Keep them and try to re home the damaged yellow .
The issue is they are all similar shape. Same diet , they see it as competition and survival of the fittest applies

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t understand why he doesn’t hide, he didn’t even try to find a spot in the rocks he just stayed in the open .
He has no idea where to go and everywhere he does try he’s getting his tail kicked

As weird as it is the corner is the safest place . And he knows if he stays there it’s best

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you intervene, he’s a goner. As for the kole, what species is he? Some of the smaller species become much more aggressive than some others may say they are.

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you intervene, he’s a goner. As for the kole, what species is he? Some of the smaller species become much more aggressive than some others may say they are.
I don’t know the scientific name but it’s a yellow eye.

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the little guy in an acclimation box or makeshift one with large holes in a tupperware and your algae scraper magnet to hold it. Otherwise they may kill it.
Put the little guy in an acclimation box or makeshift one with large holes in a tupperware and your algae scraper magnet to hold it. Otherwise they may kill it.
2CE38327-E815-4AAB-AADE-5BB2BF8EF644.jpeg
This is the only Tupperware I had. My mag was too big to fit in it and leave him room. I don’t know if this will work or not.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys. I went to the lfs this weekend and picked up some new fish, one of which was a biota yellow tang. Since being introduced he has been beat up pretty bad. My sailfin and kole tang have him cornered on the tank and if he moves from that spot he gets attacked. He has a small gash on one side and his fins are all but gone. I couldn’t get a pic of the gash but I have a pic of the fin damage. I can’t sit and babysit him as much as I would love to but that’s not feasible. Any suggestions? Or is he a goner?
44F383CB-9E4B-4C79-A848-509CFE0CC65B.jpeg
Are you able to put in a tank divider to establish him on one side of the tank? He's not going to make it if that's the kind of damage he's experienced in the first day or two.

I've made great tank dividers in the past using that grid material for overhead lights you get at the local hardware store.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CE38327-E815-4AAB-AADE-5BB2BF8EF644.jpeg
This is the only Tupperware I had. My mag was too big to fit in it and leave him room. I don’t know if this will work or not.

I think it is better than the alternative for now anyways. I am not sure how big he is but I have seen people make acclimation boxes out of critter keepers and egg crate or even divide the tank entirely with egg crate.

The idea is that maybe the other tangs will eventually get less aggressive... you can assess their behavior while them not being able to physically attack the other tang. Eventually they may not care so much after seeing the yellow for awhile.

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is better than the alternative for now anyways. I am not sure how big he is but I have seen people make acclimation boxes out of critter keepers and egg crate or even divide the tank entirely with egg crate.

The idea is that maybe the other tangs will eventually get less aggressive... you can assess their behavior while them not being able to physically attack the other tang. Eventually they may not care so much after seeing the yellow for awhile.
He’s not big. Maybe 3 inches nose to tail. I just got home from work and they aren’t really going near him. How long should I keep him in there?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry bud, but I have been whee you are and wish had caught up the CB yellow and donated him to a tang-less tank

my personal experience says that is the fish's best hope

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry bud, but I have been whee you are and wish had caught up the CB yellow and donated him to a tang-less tank

my personal experience says that is the fish's best hope
Yeah, it’s a bummer. I asked the guy at my lfs and he said he should be fine. I’ve gotten all my fish from there. I guess he was thinking more about his bottom line.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it’s a bummer. I asked the guy at my lfs and he said he should be fine. I’ve gotten all my fish from there. I guess he was thinking more about his bottom line.
Yup. The aggression may subside, may not. I feel for the little guy. Had to rehome a scopas for that reason, tore into my yellow pretty good.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a week or two but since the box is only semi transparent, I wonder if they can see him well enough. I would probably devise a plan for a more permanent/functional box and just use this one temporary.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back