I purchased a Blue Tang -- Big mistake but not the end the world

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to make a point - I think the OP is answered. However - I think 'do your research' is kind of a cop-out. If he/she 'did their own research' they could get advice from no QT - dump them in - to observation for x, y or z days, or Medicate only if disease - to a multitude of prophylactic treatments.

Some people love petco - some people hate petco. Some people hate online - some people order online all the time. The problem being - research often gives opposite answers. Right?

Point being - criticizing a new reefer - seldom results in a positive outcome.
^ THIS!!!

It makes me so sad to see people jumping down a new members throat. People need to understand and receive compassion to make changes, not belittling and name calling.

As far as QT vs no QT

I believe in QT, but I completely understand how 90% of reefers will not be able to successfully quarantine at home.

Medicating fish is the easy part, the true caveat is also quarantining all corals/inverts and NOT cross contaminating. It takes diligence and people have failed at it numerous amounts of times.

For the majority of reefers with small tanks: stick to hardy fish and QT fish to prevent marine velvet and uronema.

But you will probably have ich if you don’t QT everything.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ THIS!!!

It makes me so sad to see people jumping down a new members throat. People need to understand and receive compassion to make changes, not belittling and name calling.

As far as QT vs no QT

I believe in QT, but I completely understand how 90% of reefers will not be able to successfully quarantine at home.

Medicating fish is the easy part, the true caveat is also quarantining all corals/inverts and NOT cross contaminating. It takes diligence and people have failed at it numerous amounts of times.

For the majority of reefers with small tanks: stick to hardy fish and QT fish to prevent marine velvet and uronema.

But you will probably have ich if you don’t QT everything.
Doing research before buying a pet:

That was all just from the first page of a quick Google search. IDK it's entirely possible I am taking this jumping on suggesting folks do their own research much too personally or totally the wrong way, but it is standard practice, and definitely, sadly, much needed in the world of pet purchases. It's not meant to belittle, at least on my part. It's just trying to reinforce a good, much needed practice.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The. Blue always had it they are prone to ich. If they stress they get it. But my other fish never got it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The. Blue always had it they are prone to ich. If they stress they get it. But my other fish never got it.
Sorry. this is a myth. The fact (IMHO - emphasized) - is that the most imported tang is the regal tang. Thus - they are going to be the ICH MAGNETS. In reality - there are numerous articles that argue against this. What to I know?

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to all this myself, I started 6 weeks ago with a 13.5 Evo, live sand, RealReef rock and bottled bac and 2 clown fish on day 3 as that's what I was recommended on this forum by many people. As soon as I did it I was told that was the wrong thing to do.... Sometimes you just can't win. Whatever you choose to do someone will always have an opposing opinion. Amazing how fast everyone wants to point out mistakes. I'm sure I've made many already and will continue to, I just hope when my day comes to make a major mistake people on this forum will help me with some good advice.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that video I see the tang trying to get some speed and hitting and dead end glass wall. It makes me really sad for the poor guy.

I've seen tangs do this in 6 foot tanks my friend... sometimes they see their reflection and fight themself or are hungry and angry.. specially when they are small and/or freshly taken from the ocean. Tend to mellow out the older they get.

tangs are just weird fish sometimes.

OP
OP
Z

Zigma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a good hour of my life taken up reading these 8 pages. I think one thing is certain, the OP will never be back here again......

Don't be so quick to jump the gun. I'm still here. At times the best thing to do is to sit back and watch people self destruct. It's clear to me that many individuals here are nothing but toxic and it is best to simply avoid them.
There's absolutely no need for that type of negatively or behavior but some people are just that .. toxic. Their response to this will most likely be deflection and point it back at me for getting a 1 inch tang in a 13g.

They will look past at the fact that I am about to spend thousands of dollars to try to make it right not just for 1 fish, but everything as a whole. It's also not enough that I already have access to 8+ 500 to 1000g+ tanks with part time marine biologists that I'll rehome the tang to, That's is not enough, they want me to return it to Petco and let the thing die. Yeah, whatever. They'll find something to butcher my words. Welcome to the internet.

My biggest mistake was not buying a tang, Yes, it was bad but there will be a happy outcome. My biggest mistake was not avoiding this place all together, waiting until tomorrow to ask significantly more qualified individuals what to do and what the right path should be both short and long term. Individuals that I can have a welcoming conversation without the backlash or toxicity that I've encountered here.

Others are and have remained incredibly helpful. It's just a little too difficult to even bother to respond or keep a thread going when every 15 posts, only 1 comment is genuinely helpful.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also not enough that I already have access to 8+ 500 to 1000g+ tanks with part time marine biologists that I'll rehome the tang to, That's is not enough, they want me to return it to Petco and let the thing die.
Exactly. Those people have serious issues. As if petco takes better care of their fish! When I saw you had access to a larger tank with biologists in the original post, I instantly knew the fish was in good hands.

I commend you for being brave and not letting these rude people get to you!

I definitely don’t blame you for regretting coming here. I will say that it’s not usually like this. I’ve never seen so many people all riled up and attacking.

Good luck! :)

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be so quick to jump the gun. I'm still here. At times the best thing to do is to sit back and watch people self destruct. It's clear to me that many individuals here are nothing but toxic and it is best to simply avoid them.
There's absolutely no need for that type of negatively or behavior but some people are just that .. toxic. Their response to this will most likely be deflection and point it back at me for getting a 1 inch tang in a 13g.

They will look past at the fact that I am about to spend thousands of dollars to try to make it right not just for 1 fish, but everything as a whole. It's also not enough that I already have access to 8+ 500 to 1000g+ tanks with part time marine biologists that I'll rehome the tang to, That's is not enough, they want me to return it to Petco and let the thing die. Yeah, whatever. They'll find something to butcher my words. Welcome to the internet.

My biggest mistake was not buying a tang, Yes, it was bad but there will be a happy outcome. My biggest mistake was not avoiding this place all together, waiting until tomorrow to ask significantly more qualified individuals what to do and what the right path should be both short and long term. Individuals that I can have a welcoming conversation without the backlash or toxicity that I've encountered here.

Others are and have remained incredibly helpful. It's just a little too difficult to even bother to respond or keep a thread going when every 15 posts, only 1 comment is genuinely helpful.

Props to you for sticking around despite the negativity, but I think some of this is a bit harsh. I get it though, first impressions are everything and this was not a very good one. I just hope you will stick around to see that there are very knowledgeable and kind people here that are willing to help you through the inevitable challenges that come with being in this hobby long-term. And not only that, as someone who is obviously interested in trying to do what's best for the animals, you can contribute to this community in a positive way as well. Hope you will stick around, but either way best of luck to you!

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE READ

I’ve just deleted a number of posts.

First, I’d like to thank those who have offered sound constructive advice to the OP. That is the way Reef2Reef works…we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun….right from the Terms of Service. We all were new to saltwater reefing at one time and had similar experiences. So please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all be nice.

OP
OP
Z

Zigma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a build thread when I get a chance. I pulled the trigger on the following:

1 RED SEA REEFER XL300 DELUXE ( BLACK )
1 Return pump REEF OCTOPUS VARIOUS-4
1 EHEIM HEATER 300W
1 Reef Octopus Classic 150S Protein Skimmer
1 RED SEA Reef Dose 4
1 RED SEA Reef Dose Deluxe 4 tubing set.
1 RED SEA Reef Wave 45 with controller.
1 RED SEA Slide out panel 60cm.

It should all be coming next week. I still need to pick up a RO system to install, I'll most likely do it this weekend -- Just need to see how big (or small) of a unit I can get.

There's still plenty more to do and as the date gets closer I'll keep buying what's left over.

I've been looking at also getting an APEX Controller but I still don't know if I need it or not. The automation is something that I am interested but I'm being told that Red Sea is suppose to be coming out with their own version. It would be nice to have a nice same brand eco system in place but I may end up getting it for the hell of it. There are features on there that I kinda want.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post a build thread when I get a chance. I pulled the trigger on the following:

1 EHEIM HEATER 300W
1 RED SEA Reef Dose 4

It should all be coming next week. I still need to pick up a RO system to install, I'll most likely do it this weekend -- Just need to see how big (or small) of a unit I can get.

There's still plenty more to do and as the date gets closer I'll keep buying what's left over.

I've been looking at also getting an APEX Controller but I still don't know if I need it or not. The automation is something that I am interested but I'm being told that Red Sea is suppose to be coming out with their own version. It would be nice to have a nice same brand eco system in place but I may end up getting it for the hell of it. There are features on there that I kinda want.
That’s so exciting! :D

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 EHEIM HEATER 300W
1 RED SEA Reef Dose 4

Ha ha you don't mess about do you.
Good luck in setting up new tank when it comes and hope all goes well with it ^_^https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

2 threads here for you to read while waiting for new tank that maybe of interest especially if wanting to move your rock over from your 13.5g - your new red sea tank and would try think about whether you want to add that anemone from 13.5g to new tank if you using dry rock in red sea and if not then come up with some kind of plan.

I know current diesese protocol already got shared In this thread other day but not sure if got deleted but even if still here,you got bio security and current diesese protocol together which may help so again good luck ^_^

Also fallow for good measure,hope it helps

Last edited:

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 EHEIM HEATER 300W
1 RED SEA Reef Dose 4

That's awesome! Sounds like it's going to be a great setup! I would recommend holding off on the Apex (or any controller) at this point. I think it's good practice to learn the ins and outs of the the tank's tendencies, husbandry, etc prior to automating anything. Looking forward to following along in the build thread!

OP
OP
Z

Zigma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha you don't mess about do you.
Good luck in setting up new tank when it comes and hope all goes well with it ^_^https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

2 threads here for you to read while waiting for new tank that maybe of interest especially if wanting to move your rock over from your 13.5g - your new red sea tank and would try think about whether you want to add that anemone from 13.5g to new tank if you using dry rock in red sea and if not then come up with some kind of plan.

I know current diesese protocol already got shared In this thread other day but not sure if got deleted but even if still here,you got bio security and current diesese protocol together which may help so again good luck ^_^

Also fallow for good measure,hope it helps
I won't be moving the live rock that I currently have now. I am afraid of hitch hikers. One of the things I want to avoid are Bristle Worms, which unfortunately I found out I had. I know they're good cleaners but I tend to overfeed and they'll just grow too out of control. I am starting it with dry rock to scape out something. I don't know how good it will be -- We will see.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be moving the live rock that I currently have now. I am afraid of hitch hikers. One of the things I want to avoid are Bristle Worms, which unfortunately I found out I had. I know they're good cleaners but I tend to overfeed and they'll just grow too out of control. I am starting it with dry rock to scape out something. I don't know how good it will be -- We will see.
Yeah I'm not so keen on bristleworms either ha ha

Once seen a video of literally thousands coming out the pipework from dt falling into the sump in literally clumps so nope don't want bristleworms,never mind how good cuc member they are lol

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where it came from but I would keep the live rock -- you can use hypersalinity in a separate bucket to get nasties to evacuate, and then pick the inverts you want from the bucket after. If I had to do it over in my tank, the one thing I would do differently is start with at least some real live rock, like from KP or similar. I feel it's taken me a full year to develop a solid microbiome, and b/c I started w/dry rock I got here by adding stuff like copepods, PNS substrate sauce and AF Life Force mud, and I still don't think it's 100% comparable to just having started w/live rock.

One year in I am just now starting to believe that my tank will be able to support SPS corals. I don't know if I have any bristle worms b/c I haven't seen any yet, but just by adding corals and wild-caught inverts I've got a healthy population of amphipods, and occasionally find random stuff like a chiton hanging around that I didn't put in there. Point being, you'll get hitchhikers anyway -- it's not 100% avoidable.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where it came from but I would keep the live rock -- you can use hypersalinity in a separate bucket to get nasties to evacuate, and then pick the inverts you want from the bucket after. If I had to do it over in my tank, the one thing I would do differently is start with at least some real live rock, like from KP or similar. I feel it's taken me a full year to develop a solid microbiome, and b/c I started w/dry rock I got here by adding stuff like copepods, PNS substrate sauce and AF Life Force mud, and I still don't think it's 100% comparable to just having started w/live rock.

One year in I am just now starting to believe that my tank will be able to support SPS corals. I don't know if I have any bristle worms b/c I haven't seen any yet, but just by adding corals and wild-caught inverts I've got a healthy population of amphipods, and occasionally find random stuff like a chiton hanging around that I didn't put in there. Point being, you'll get hitchhikers anyway -- it's not 100% avoidable.
Completely agree, quality live rock is the absolute best thing you can do for your tank. There are countless benefits, and the only negatives are easily managed. Personally, I will never start another tank with dry rock, the nuisance algae, likelihood of getting Dinos, the sponging up phosphates, the incomplete bacterial biome, the inability to denitrify, the increased time to maturity, and the lack of diverse microfauna are much bigger issues for me than a few hitchhikers. I quite enjoy all of the microfauna/hitchhikers, they’re half of what makes a reef tank a reef tank, a reef implies a complex ecosystem/food chain, without the microfauna it’s just a fish tank or a coral display.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 EHEIM HEATER 300W
1 RED SEA Reef Dose 4

Just letting you know that this tank will not support the size of the blue tang long term. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back