I saved a bleached anemone and want to share this information with others!

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone told me buying a bleached anemone was a waste of time and money but I just had to try to save it, and wanted to educate people on what I did so maybe it can help save more. I know the video footage isn't the greatest, but this project has inspired me to want to start doing a YouTube series on this kinda stuff. Let me know what you guys think or if you have questions! Subscribers to my channel are also welcome :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental feeding for the win! That reminds me that I need to "nurse" two of my anemones with some hand feeding.
Thanks! Yeah I like to try and find the more natural ways to do this stuff, and I got the idea from a show I watched as a kid where scientists were trying to get corals to accept different species of zoo to become more adaptable to changes and it gave me the idea to try this.

msayeka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I watched your video and I'm trying to follow in your foot steps and save my bleached RBTA. I bought the zooxanthellae bag from Algagen. I've been feeding it pieces of salmon soaked in zooxanthellae. I want to use the easy feed back to drip in the 75 gal tank, but I'm worried that it should be refrigerated. I probably should email Algagen customer service, but I want to know...did you refrigerated your bag and just squirt some in everyday? Or did you do the drip method for days? If your dripped, what was your drip rate? I'm thinking I should do 1 drip per sec.

The nem found a hole in the rock to attach its foot to it. I'm also worried that I might not have the right light for it. I have Current USA Marine orbit dual IC Pro. Others have said this is not enough light, but the spec sheet says it can do up to 700+ par. The nem is 15" away and according to the spec it's up to 160 par. The nem shrink no matter what level the lighting is so maybe its not good enough or maybe it's too much. I keep it mainly blue. He do tend to expand when I add more white light. I wonder if it's too much light or too little. Any thoughts?
Here's screenshots of nem, light settings, and specs for light.

20231020_201343.jpg 20231010_121115.jpg Screenshot_20231010_155623_LOOP.jpg Screenshot_20231010_181707_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure the company I used still even makes the live zooxanthellae anymore but if you got some, I just soaked some little slices of salmon and would feed him about every week a little little slice, I didn’t refrigerate as I didn’t want my zoo to die. I left them near light and would add new tank water and a little bubbler in it and keep it in the tank so it maintained temp, but I did squirt it directly in with other food into the tank and turned off carbon filtering and skimmer for a bit here and there, but most of my work you saw and heard in the video.

As for your lights, how are your other coral and nems doing? If they are all fine I would leave them as is.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone told me buying a bleached anemone was a waste of time and money but I just had to try to save it, and wanted to educate people on what I did so maybe it can help save more. I know the video footage isn't the greatest, but this project has inspired me to want to start doing a YouTube series on this kinda stuff. Let me know what you guys think or if you have questions! Subscribers to my channel are also welcome :)

Thanks for sharing ,kudos !! :cool:

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supplemental feeding for the win! That reminds me that I need to "nurse" two of my anemones with some hand feeding.
NO,NO,NO, you should never feed a anemone. It's all over this forum, written by all the experts.
I can't tell you how many bleached anemones I've saved by, say it ain't true--feeding them. Wish I still had some of them that I've sold. Just don't have the room no more( to many corals taking it up).

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO,NO,NO, you should never feed a anemone. It's all over this forum, written by all the experts.
I can't tell you how many bleached anemones I've saved by, say it ain't true--feeding them. Wish I still had some of them that I've sold. Just don't have the room no more( to many corals taking it up).
Lots of people hand feed their nems and have had lots of success. Clownfish in nature are actually documented hand feeding their nems too. Like very documented. You can watch videos of them doing it, it’s pretty cool. And it worked for me here.

OP
OP
ragnarokreviews

ragnarokreviews

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-read my post, you understand I know this, right?
If it’s sarcasm, it was difficult to see as your use of punctuation and grammar were a bit off but I couldn’t tell if it was half sarcasm or the other half was sarcasm lol. I read it going both ways

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was sarcasm. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times on this forum that I've read don't feed your anemones. I feed mine. I've saved quite a few bleached anemones by feeding them.
How do you handle punctuation and grammar on the modern form of communication, texts?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're totally confusing me here. Never feed... but feed. And I never said you should "do this" or "don't do that" - I was referring to the video. I broadcast feed to the tank. Pretty sure all my anemones get their fair share...

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it reads like he is blasting the people who say "Never feed an anemone". Also saying he feeds his regularly and has, like the OP here, saved more than one by direct feeding them.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back