I sure go through some snails.

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have this problem? I just cant seem to keep snails in my tank for long. There are all sorts of empty shells but other then 2 or 3 nassarius snails everything else seems to have died or something. I have had a hard time recently keeping snails. I have had both trochus and turbo snails with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe instead of a frag tank I should have a snail tank. :)

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any crabs? any other inverts?

you may want to check to make sure one of the snails you do have, is not a whelk. there is one that looks like a nass, but the snout will have a leopard print type of snout, will generally be larger, and will not spend as much time doing what normal nass do.

OP
OP
S

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of hermit crabs(blue leg) and the nass snails I mentions. There is also a pep shrimp in there but it hardly ever comes out from the rocks.

do you have any crabs? any other inverts?

you may want to check to make sure one of the snails you do have, is not a whelk. there is one that looks like a nass, but the snout will have a leopard print type of snout, will generally be larger, and will not spend as much time doing what normal nass do.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you might try a different supplier for your snails, or maybe some different species -- some seem to do better than others in a given tank. I really like the Zebra Turbos that are becoming available now. They seem to be hardier and harder working than turbo snails I've had in the past.
HTH,
Mariner

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pyramid snail maybe. they have been my problem. they killed off all my snails. they are very tiny and will sux most snails dry.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a pic of them suxing on a snail now i googled. there are two types ones that eat clams and ones that eat snails.
61parisitic_pyramid_snails_2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I never knew this.

I am pretty ticked that I need to go and spend all the cash again for snails though. I dont even remember what my LFS sells them for but it still stinks

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i dont have snails anymore, i would like to but my tank still has those bugger in my tank suxing on the micro snails that come out at night. i havent had snails in more then 2 years. my LFS charge 2.50 and above so i just said i'm not going to feed those buggers at that cost or any other cost. i was taking them out one by one but they bread too dam quick so i gave up on that. thought maybe i would wait it out see if they stave but sense they are now feeding off on the micro snails in my tank i dont see that happing anytime soon.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO people put too many snails in their tank. Whenever I get too many, I usually have die off until a steady state level of sustainability is reached. Usually is amounts to 1 snail for every 5 gallons or so.

OP
OP
S

slipondajimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO people put too many snails in their tank. Whenever I get too many, I usually have die off until a steady state level of sustainability is reached. Usually is amounts to 1 snail for every 5 gallons or so.

Well I have never had that many at one time maybe 6-8. Right now it looks like all but 2 have died.

Back