I washed one the rocks from my established tank, while trying to get rid of a giant bristle worm.

Kdedoe3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given an already established aquarium. The light hadn’t worked in a while so all the coral died. There are 2 fish and 1 hermit crab. A few days ago I discovered that there are multiple large bristle worms hiding in the sand/rocks. They ate the shrimp I added to the tank and I’m scared they’ll eventually eat the other fish. So I watched and waited to find one but I was unable to grab it (wearing rubber gloves) so I removed the rock that it was hiding in. I saw a video of a guy who soaked a rock in hot tap water to get the worms out so I did the same thing. But I think the guy from the video May have been the wrong person to listen to. So now I’ve removed one worm but I don’t know what I should do with the rock. I don’t want to put it back in a harm the fish and mess up the tank. Anyone have any ideas about what I should do so that I can safely add the rock back to the tank?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it in a small tank/tote/bucket with saltwater and a pump and re-cycle the rock. If/once no ammonia is present, you can add it back to the tank.

OP
OP
Kdedoe3

Kdedoe3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, wasn’t sure if I needed to do that or not. Thank you. Any idea how long that typically takes?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unlikely a bristle worm caught and killed your shrimp, it most likely died of something else and the bristle worm was just eating it. Bristle worms are generally harmless, I wouldn’t worry about them, but if you really want to remove them, get a trap or get an arrow crab/coral banded shrimp. I would cycle the rock in a bucket of SW for a month or so, and then put back in the tank.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are more things in this hobby to freak u out other then a bristle worm. Wait til u meet the Bobbit…oh and
Welcome.
24AF0C5D-E23A-49B6-87C0-EE8AB7795B8E.gif

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back