Ich and no QT advice?

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start, I have a small system and no QT. I got 2 new wrasses last week (7 days ago) and they went straight into the display. They have been eating well, very active, etc and today I noticed probably 2 spots of ich on each fish. Fish in my display have had it before and fought it off and I have never run a qt or let my tank go fallow to get rid of it. One of the clownfish might have a spot but I don't see anything on any of the other fish.

My question is do I need to go out tomorrow (I won't be able to go till after work ~6pm) and get a qt setup, hope I can find copper, tear my tank apart to catch all of the fish and qt everything or do you think the new fish can fight it off if I keep a good feeding schedule and keep everything good in the display? I am worried I won't be able to catch these fish and that if I don't succeed that it will be more stressful than just leaving them be.

Advice? Other options?

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a fish builds an immune to ick, will that eventually kill off the ick cause the fish can fight it off?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if a fish builds an immune to ick, will that eventually kill off the ick cause the fish can fight it off?

Ich never fully clears itself from the water once it is present, unless it has nothing to feed on for 76 days. It may not be actively visible all the time because the fish immune system is fighting it off, but a stress event could change that.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the fish fights it off for 3 months will that eliminate it?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it just won't be visible as the fishes immune system isn't compromised. If it ever becomes compromised you will see a breakout. The only way to clear a tank is to have it go fishless for 76 days.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is thought that if no new fish are added to the system after around one year the ich will die out due to inbreeding causing a collapse of the population. I would hook up a UV and run a course of medic by polyp labs (might be off slightly on the name) which is reef safe. FYI it did kill the sponge in my tank (only casualty) but the fish in my system including two tangs all survived an ich outbreak by doing those things and it's been 4 months with no return of the ich.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no new strains of ich which would come on new fishes or corals or clams ect.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV with a slow flow will kill and free swimming ICH that go through it. It will not eliminate ICH, but will help control it. Cleaner shrimp may also help.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the QT route. Treat all fish with copper, allow DT to sit fallow for 76 days (if you want to be 100% positive it's gone). Do you have pictures of the wrasse? Are you sure that the fish don't just have a sand particle stuck to their mucus coat? They typically burrow in the sand at night.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A fish which has developed immunity/resistance to ich is able to withstand the pathogen, showing little to no visible physical symptoms i.e. white dots. However, the gills are more suspectible to theront attack so you may still notice heavy breathing, head twitching, scratching the gills, etc.

100% elimination is highly unlikely.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a guarantee way to eliminate ick without qt?

OP
OP
mainn

mainn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are looking better this morning. These were the last fish for this tank so hopefully I don't have to deal with this again. When the time comes for a bigger display I will have to QT all of these fish though.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a fish only tank and no crustaceans you can hospitality your DT. This will have no effect on your bacteria. Make sure you use a Refractometer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back