Ich, Velvet or both?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown died of what looked to be bacterial infection. Pintail is barely hanging on. Sits on the bottom of the tank looking half dead. I'm contemplating pulling him from copper, but at this point I'm not sure if it will do any good. Haven't seen him eat since going into QT.
Unfortunately all you can do is reduce the level of copper but it’ll need to be treated in copper at some point or it’ll reinfect everything. Frustrating, I know :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown died of what looked to be bacterial infection. Pintail is barely hanging on. Sits on the bottom of the tank looking half dead. I'm contemplating pulling him from copper, but at this point I'm not sure if it will do any good. Haven't seen him eat since going into QT.

I’d do a large water-change and wait to start ramping up again after you have your test kit. When I use Cupramine on wrasses, I raise it super slow... like 5 drops at a time. It takes close to a week. I’ve had the most success that way.

If the pintail wasn’t symptomatic to start... I’d take your time with the copper.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp will pick parasites off of fish and keep them clean. As a rule I never will keep a Tang in a tank with out a cleaner shrimp. I also try to keep them in pairs as they will spawn often .
That said I do current have a tang and no shrimp but I did have the shrimps when I put the fish in. I have not added anything to the tank for several years now. I have always had ick on tangs but the shrimps kept it under total control. Now days it seems diseases run rampant which scares the heck out of me. I have never used a QT tank and never had issues. All of my fish always came from Inland Aquatics but they went out of business a few years ago. I always had good luck with their fish, now I don't know where to go. Anyway I am a true believer in keeping cleaner shrimp(s) with tangs.

Totally agree with this along with running a good UV sterilizer for tangs. I have had tangs for years and use to not have cleaner shrimp and had problems constantly with ick. Went to shrimp, and then to shrimp with UV and problems went away. Night n day difference. I now have a 200 gal tank stuffed full of tangs and foxface (ick magnets) with 2 cleaner and 2 coral banded shrimp, UV, and added for first time, a cleaner wrasse. No signs of any issues. Im lazy and dont like dealing with emergency problems so feel the added cost of UV and natural preditors is well worth it. Just my experience but hoping it my help others and save some stress for reefers and the fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back