Ick - help!

Ace A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly guilty of not quarantining new fish but since I just started I figured if they get sick it’s only a few fish early on. Tank is only 2 months old. In addition my lfs said they do hyposalinity treatment and low level copper on their stocks so decided to risk it. A week ago chromis started showing A couple white spots which I now think is ick... can’t catch him now because he’s running behind the rocks and I guess if the spots are there it’s too late anyway.
Is there anything that o can do to try and fight this thing? I am resigned to losing my fish at this point but just see if there’s anything that can help give the other fish a chance ?

the pic doesn’t show it but I see one or two and it’s been a week and has not disappeared

3803AAA1-0710-4743-BD07-9576E1702A36.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, the picture isn't clear enough to really see anything. Sometimes, fish get scrapes and bumps, missing scales, etc. These aren't serious. Ich on other hand is of course very serious if not treated. What I tell people is that ich spots will come and go, increase and decrease in numbers over time, until the fish gets covered in spots and then dies. The key here is IF the fish has a fews spots that stay in the exact same location for more than 36 hours, it is something other than ich.

Green chromis are also very prone to developing Uronema when first acquired. This shows up as a bruise or red spot on the body of the fish, followed by rapid breathing and death. I have not been able to really treat chromis that get that - simply because the Uronema starts off in the fish's muscles, and by the time you see it break the fish's skin, it is already too late. I'm not saying that's what your fish has, just that you need to watch for it.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back