OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

If you have an alkalinity test set it would be an easy check. If your alkalinity tests higher in the new water than the old water you can pretty much confirm a dangerous increase in salinity.

IMO the floating bulb type hydrometers are great followed by conductivity meters. Refractometers are very good when used with a calibration fluid. Swing arm hydrometers should be banned.
X2.

Sorry for your losses :(
I think we found your problem. If the SG increased a little too much then that could be a problem. those swing arm hydrometers are pretty much useless junk unfortunately.
Thanks guys thanks for figuring this out. I'll be ordering a Refractometer tomorrow I knew SG changes could be a problem and I really flipper that SG meter hard until all bubbles were off the arm and if I got a questionable reading I always took another reading but I guess there's just to much room for error with the SG meter thanks again

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked to see if the stability has to be refrigerated and I can see when it has to. Also just to clarify the ph in the tank didn't start at 7.8 and rise to 8.4 what I ment was every time I've checked my ph its at 7.8 then I set up this other tank to transfer the fish into added new salt water it circulated for 9-10 hrs then I added the fish after they died I checked the ph and it was at 8.4 why it swans this hi is what I can't figure out unless it was the heavy air ration of the air stone
Stability shouldn't need refrigeration. It is bacteria in a cyst form that (excuse the term) is very stable. It would take an outside contaminant for Stability to go rancid.

I understand what you are saying with pH, maybe my example wasn't the best. For a tank with normal alkalinity, even heavy aeration will not cause pH to be higher like you are seeing. You would need to either have a higher alkalinity to be at 8.4 or something would have to be removing the CO2 from the water. Contrary to what many people think, increasing aeration raises both O2 and CO2 which should have lowered pH. At least compared to identical water, exposed to identical air that is.

OP
OP
jeff williams

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we found your problem. If the SG increased a little too much then that could be a problem. those swing arm hydrometers are pretty much useless junk unfortunately.
Fish tend to tolerate a drop in salinity much better than an increase. I would worry about a .002 increase but would have no issue dropping .002.

pH has very little direct impact on fish. It does cause some toxicity issues with ammonia but doesn't have a direct impact. For instance, if you receive a fish shipped overnight, that fish sees some major pH swings. It was probably bagged at a pH around 8. As it consumed the oxygen in the water and turned it into CO2 it can drop under 7. If you drip acclimate it will go back up to 8.0 or higher in 15 minutes and won't directly hurt the fish. In this example the danger to the fish is the less harmful ammonium being converted to ammonia at the higher pH's. So no, the pH swing itself isn't the issue. Understanding the cause of the swing might be.

No, that sounds like a smart move to me. Unless the Stability had gone rancid this should only have had positive results.
Hey brew 12 and melypr1985 just an update I received my Refractometer today and calibrated it my salinity in all my tanks and my mixing station is 1.024. All this saltwater was mixed using a hydrometer and it read 1.023 so it reads low however it did have all my tanks at the same level and in a safe zone. I guess I'll never solve this one I just wish I could chalk it up to a lesson learned so I didn't make the same mistake again. Hey I did wanna ask you guys something else my angel when I found he dead she was Behind a pvc tube were the flow was being blocked and all around her was a clear liquid about 1/2" around the perimeter of her body it was noticeable because the qt was bare bottom and the tank flow had not disturbed it. Have you guys seen this before is it normal,I've never seen before. I'm think it was her body fluids but what I'm getting at is if it's not a normal thing, I'm wondering if it's a sign of osmotic shock from the cells rupturing any thoughts?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brew 12 and melypr1985 just an update I received my Refractometer today and calibrated it my salinity in all my tanks and my mixing station is 1.024. All this saltwater was mixed using a hydrometer and it read 1.023 so it reads low however it did have all my tanks at the same level and in a safe zone. I guess I'll never solve this one I just wish I could chalk it up to a lesson learned so I didn't make the same mistake again. Hey I did wanna ask you guys something else my angel when I found he dead she was Behind a pvc tube were the flow was being blocked and all around her was a clear liquid about 1/2" around the perimeter of her body it was noticeable because the qt was bare bottom and the tank flow had not disturbed it. Have you guys seen this before is it normal,I've never seen before. I'm think it was her body fluids but what I'm getting at is if it's not a normal thing, I'm wondering if it's a sign of osmotic shock from the cells rupturing any thoughts?
It sounds more like bacteria attacking her slime coat to me, but that is a WAG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's relatively normal if she had been there awhile.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. That's normal depending on how long she had been there.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 48 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back