Ick?

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef tank up and running for close to 7 years now without any sort of major outbreak disease wise but after I purchased a fire goby that was supposedly quarantined, a ton of white dots have appeared on my cleaner goby. If this is what I think it is, what do I have to do? My tank is a 29 gallon reef tank. I have been binding Metroplex to their food using Focus in hopes that that would take care of it but I haven't noticed much progress.
IMG_2978.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a reef tank up and running for close to 7 years now without any sort of major outbreak disease wise but after I purchased a fire goby that was supposedly quarantined, a ton of white dots have appeared on my cleaner goby. If this is what I think it is, what do I have to do? My tank is a 29 gallon reef tank. I have been binding Metroplex to their food using Focus in hopes that that would take care of it but I haven't noticed much progress.
IMG_2978.jpg
That certainly looks like ich. It could be microsporidean cysts, but unlikely unless these spots have been on this fish, in the same locations longer than about 48 hours. Does the fire goby show any spots? I would think that if it carried ich into your tank, it would show an infection as well.

Metroplex in focus is unlikely to cure this if it is ich.

Jay

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That certainly looks like ich. It could be microsporidean cysts, but unlikely unless these spots have been on this fish, in the same locations longer than about 48 hours. Does the fire goby show any spots? I would think that if it carried ich into your tank, it would show an infection as well.

Metroplex in focus is unlikely to cure this if it is ich.

Jay
The Fire Goby does show spots but it is much less severe. There are only a couple spots that are very small and difficult to spot

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would QT and treat him....get him healthy and put him back in there. Water change that QT every other day during the process to get them out when they fall off of him. I had a similar deal a few months ago. Got the fish healthy and put them back in with no new outbreaks. I do believe all tanks specially older ones have it in there. Just takes a change stressed or sick fish to see it. May or may not be the case...just my opinion and what worked for me. I jeep my fish well fed - fat and happy and they all have been able to keep it away. Understanding the life cycle of ich helps.......Medicate - get them to drop off and die. Hopefully there hasnt been much reproduction in the DT. Healthy fish can fight it off.

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would QT and treat him....get him healthy and put him back in there. Water change that QT every other day during the process to get them out when they fall off of him. I had a similar deal a few months ago. Got the fish healthy and put them back in with no new outbreaks. I do believe all tanks specially older ones have it in there. Just takes a change stressed or sick fish to see it. May or may not be the case...just my opinion and what worked for me. I jeep my fish well fed - fat and happy and they all have been able to keep it away. Understanding the life cycle of ich helps.......Medicate - get them to drop off and die. Hopefully there hasnt been much reproduction in the DT. Healthy fish can fight it off.
Unfortunately, I don't know if I really have the means to quarantine fish in a second tank. Is there something reef safe that I can treat to the entire tank?

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have just noticed that my tail spotted blenny, which has no spots on it that, is on its death bed. It was eating perfectly fine yesterday and now its stomach looks shrunken and it won't eat any food. It is just saying on the sand bed breathing heavily not moving at all. Could these things be related? I don't want my entire tank to crash because of this. Please, what can I do?

OP
OP
Baby Ray

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I please get some help. I feel like **** is going downhill fast. I might just have to flush the blenny because he is clearly on his way out. I think it is unrelated to the ick though because he doesn't have any spots on him. For now, I put the cleaner goby in a container that has small holes in it in my sump to try to isolate him that way. Hopefully ick can't travel through the return pump

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back