ICP test results marinlab

Dr0pl3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Can someone give an opinion about my icp test results. What do i need to fix :)
Skjermbilde (9).png
Skjermbilde (10).png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean with creatures?

I mean are you looking for an explanation of why something organism is not thriving or dying, or just checking up on the water chemistry for "fun"?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we dose heavy metals to the tank so that might be the cause?

Tin wouldn't be in most commercial additives at a concentration high enough to boost it like that. There's no reason to add any.

OP
OP
D

Dr0pl3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are basicly checking for fun. We have been manually dosing elements to the tank over time so i wanted to see if some of the elements were out of range. But we have had some lps corals die the last month but that could be a copperbands fault. He is now removed. Jod and Barium seems a little high. So i think we will pause that until its in range again. Should we do anything against copper and tin?

OP
OP
D

Dr0pl3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We dose these addatives couple times a week: fluorine, iodium, iron, kalium, strontium and micro e (contains: concentrated heavy metals manganese, vanadium, zinc, nickel, iron, chromium, cobalt & copper.)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think barium is a concern at that level, and wouldn't intentionally be in an additive either.

The copper isn't high enough to be a problem (I had it twice that high one time I checked my aquarium years ago), IMO, but it can be lowered with something like Cuprisorb.

Tin might be from metal parts in the water, or maybe hard PVC. Cuprisorb sometimes works for it too.

Jod must be a typo???

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tin shouldn´t be in a commercial trace element additive since it is no essential trace element for organisms. There are no positive biochemical functions of tin known. So tin in a trace element additive makes no sense to me. The essential transition metals listed above are quite complete only lacking molybdenum and selenium (no transition metal) as far as I see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr0pl3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tin shouldn´t be in a commercial trace element additive since it is no essential trace element for organisms. There are no positive biochemical functions of tin known. So tin in a trace element additive makes no sense to me. The essential transition metals listed above are quite complete only lacking molybdenum and selenium (no transition metal) as far as I see.
where do you think tin came from? What source should i look after

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of one case in The Netherlands where the little brittle stars in a public aquarium where dying first and other critters followed. It turned out that tin was the problem. The aquarium got seawater from a water ballast tank of a ship. It turned out that there have been soldering works in the tank of the ship.

To be honest I find it difficult to speculate about the origin of the tin since tin is not a metal of widespread use contrasting to for example zinc or copper. Soldering is something that comes to mind at once but what else?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back