SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all. I’ve been trying to figure out what kind of urchin I have for a week and I can’t seem to get any answers. Google certainly hasn’t helped, but I probably am not looking for the right thing! I really would like to know what type he is so that I can look into the best practices for care and keeping him happy & healthy. I sure love this little guy, so any tips/advice/info will be greatly appreciated!!!

[SIDE NOTE - added a video, but I’m not sure if it will play for any of y’all. It’s not working if I try to play it, but worth a shot to keep it on here. Also, the lighting is different in one picture, a little more blue it seems, but that was also a few days ago and can’t seem to get my phone to focus on his little details the same way I did before in the bluish pic.]

E97FCDA4-2F6E-4958-8E5B-4A8687D121F9.jpeg BF9B03A4-9587-4306-B9C9-980D775983CC.jpeg AA2FD1B9-90E7-4593-8CA7-97AEC9EB1E9F.jpeg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    27.6 MB

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Variegated Pincushion Urchin. Lytechinus variegatus. Your tank doesn't look like it has much in the way of algae. You'll probably want to supplement it's diet with some nori until the tank becomes more established. It's better to add these animals to mature systems.
1634802996590.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Variegated Pincushion Urchin. Lytechinus variegatus. Your tank doesn't look like it has much in the way of algae. You'll probably want to supplement it's diet with some nori until the tank becomes more established. It's better to add these animals to mature systems.
1634802996590.png
Thank you so much! And you’re right, I don’t have much algae. :( I’ve been keeping my white light on mostly all day and only turning on my dark blue light when it’s time for bed, usually 8pm. I get up at 7am for work and turn on my white light again. I’m doing that to grow some. What can I feed my urchin until it’s more matured? If you want, I put a bunch of info on my build thread and if you have time to read it, I definitely would love feedback. I didn’t really get a choice to establish the tank (correctly) before all the animals got added. So I’m trying to correct it all now. But truly, any feedback would be great. Still very new at this, a week in. Any advice on feeding/care for my urchin? And is he reef safe?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! And you’re right, I don’t have much algae. :( I’ve been keeping my white light on mostly all day and only turning on my dark blue light when it’s time for bed, usually 8pm. I get up at 7am for work and turn on my white light again. I’m doing that to grow some. What can I feed my urchin until it’s more matured? If you want, I put a bunch of info on my build thread and if you have time to read it, I definitely would love feedback. I didn’t really get a choice to establish the tank (correctly) before all the animals got added. So I’m trying to correct it all now. But truly, any feedback would be great. Still very new at this, a week in. Any advice on feeding/care for my urchin? And is he reef safe?
As I mentioned, you can supplement it's diet with nori sheets. You can get it very cheaply at your local Asian market or you can get the Omega One variety at your local Petco. (more expensive for less of the same product) You can use an algae clip to hold it or rubber band some to a piece of liverock.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only probelm I have with that urchin, if it's not glued down, he will pick it up and carry it off.

Nori rubber banded to a rock put in it's path is all thats needed for food. Or what I usually do is when they are climbing the glass, stuff a small peice of nori between it and the glass, and actually watch it eat.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same urchin. It was sold to me as a pink short spined pincushion urchin.
I’m not sure where/when my dad got him, I just know he’s been in there for a bit and algae never started growing because while my dad still had my tank (6 months) before I could get it moved to my place, last week, he always kept the blue light on and only fed 1 time weekly. How do you keep yours happy?

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned, you can supplement it's diet with nori sheets. You can get it very cheaply at your local Asian market or you can get the Omega One variety at your local Petco. (more expensive for less of the same product) You can use an algae clip to hold it or rubber band some to a piece of liverock.
Thank you, I’ll definitely go get some. I didn’t know regular nori could be used. I have some here at home because I used to make avocado sushi, and used the nori of course for wrapping the inside between the rice and avocado. So, any nori works? Like The same kind people eat?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I’ll definitely go get some. I didn’t know regular nori could be used. I have some here at home because I used to make avocado sushi, and used the nori of course for wrapping the inside between the rice and avocado. So, any nori works? Like The same kind people eat?
Yeah, the pet shop stuff is the same. Just make sure you use plain, unsalted, unflavored variety.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only probelm I have with that urchin, if it's not glued down, he will pick it up and carry it off.

Nori rubber banded to a rock put in it's path is all thats needed for food. Or what I usually do is when they are climbing the glass, stuff a small peice of nori between it and the glass, and actually watch it eat.
Good idea! I will try that. Mine likes to pick up a rock every now and then, he will carry it around all day and then drops it right before he goes up in the corner to sleep. It’s pretty cute. He has some kind of white stuff stuck to some of his spines, which just showed up a few hours ago, but I don’t know if its stuck on there or if he’s holding it there.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great! Thank you, I’ll get some for him. Also, how do I determine how often he should be fed the nori?
Place it near him. If he's interested he will begin eating rather quickly. If not, don't leave it in the tank for more than an hour or so. It will fall apart quickly and can foul the tank water. Folding it several times into a square makes it hold together longer. Offer it to the urchin daily.

OP
OP
SaltyShel

SaltyShel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place it near him. If he's interested he will begin eating rather quickly. If not, don't leave it in the tank for more than an hour or so. It will fall apart quickly and can foul the tank water. Folding it several times into a square makes it hold together longer. Offer it to the urchin daily.
Good to know! Thank you, I will do that for sure and make sure to monitor if he eats it

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back