I'd please? What on earth is this?

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about any of your lps corals or anemones, when they "deflate", they take on a completely different appearance.
I have about 1200 gallons of aiptasia cultures and spend about an hour a day working with them. I have seen them in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Haha. But I see how the "normal" experienced reefer may not recognize the beauty of a stressed aip.... Lots of babies coming

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No and it disappeared during a wc. I see no reason for a "good" nem to be in this particular tank though so I doubt it is a good one. This is my "where do I put it" catch all tank and other than a monthly wc it's pretty much ignored. Strangely there is no algae and such here but there is aptasia. I have just never seen one look like this one... and I've been in this hobby for years.
yea that look totally weird. But I had some odd stuff pop up. Cool find thanks

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby since '94 minus a few years somewhere between then and now. I've seen a lot of strange or uncommon things from time to time... never saw this one lol. If @Bbaz123456 says it's aptasia with all his experience I would be apt to agree. I however have never seen one this way before. It is true unusual creatures show up in our tanks where there seems no explanation why or how they got there such as a slipper limpet did in my reef. They are native to England and a nuisance for them but are fine in a contained reef. How it got here... who knows!
Slipper limpet
7e787f0ddea0ad0ca3201f5ba5a12d66.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help :D

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see it again, snag some more pictures. I'd love to keep following along.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. That's beautiful. I love hitchhikers. Honestly I like them better than fish.
Everybody got fish. Who got slipper limpets. Or six Indonesian muscles?

There's a my favorite or show me your favorite hitchikers thread around here somewhere. I'll try n bump it or maybe get it stickied.

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. That's beautiful. I love hitchhikers. Honestly I like them better than fish.
Everybody got fish. Who got slipper limpets. Or six Indonesian muscles?

There's a my favorite or show me your favorite hitchikers thread around here somewhere. I'll try n bump it or maybe get it stickied.

Iv heard about the good hitch hikers which makes me want some live rock or live sand but also heard so much of the bad ones which makes me just want to cultivate everything myself its very debatable cuz its alot of work to get rid of those bad ones! And iv seen a few products to promote good stuff in the sump in the back of my tank but iv seen some cool hitch hikers in posts and vids fer sure!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv heard about the good hitch hikers which makes me want some live rock or live sand but also heard so much of the bad ones which makes me just want to cultivate everything myself its very debatable cuz its alot of work to get rid of those bad ones! And iv seen a few products to promote good stuff in the sump in the back of my tank but iv seen some cool hitch hikers in posts and vids fer sure!
I feel exactly the same! I opted the dry rock route since this is my first tank. Want to try and get the first one going with a minimal of variables such as hitchhikers. If I feel adventurous I may order some live rock in the future to see what kind of hitchhikers come along with it.

HarleyP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel exactly the same! I opted the dry rock route since this is my first tank. Want to try and get the first one going with a minimal of variables such as hitchhikers. If I feel adventurous I may order some live rock in the future to see what kind of hitchhikers come along with it.

Ya thats how im feeling too! This will be my first tank and I dont want to have to worry about pests if I dont have to!

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby since '94 minus a few years somewhere between then and now. I've seen a lot of strange or uncommon things from time to time... never saw this one lol. If @Bbaz123456 says it's aptasia with all his experience I would be apt to agree. I however have never seen one this way before. It is true unusual creatures show up in our tanks where there seems no explanation why or how they got there such as a slipper limpet did in my reef. They are native to England and a nuisance for them but are fine in a contained reef. How it got here... who knows!
Slipper limpet
7e787f0ddea0ad0ca3201f5ba5a12d66.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help :D
Now this one is definitely not an aiptasia! Lol. That's a new one for me. The first pic definitely looked like one to me but it is a picture, and of course, I can't be 100% certain from a picture.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this one is definitely not an aiptasia! Lol. That's a new one for me. The first pic definitely looked like one to me but it is a picture, and of course, I can't be 100% certain from a picture.
Lol yeah this limpet is a rare find apparently. So Lionfish Lair has added it to her HITCHIKERS thread :)

If I see the strange little one again I'll try to get better pictures of it. It just seemed to have too many tentacles for aptasia that I've seen. Yet I have also not seen a nem that small either....

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160904_184341.jpg

I think everyone can agree that this is an aiptasia??
Here is the same one after I poked it a few times.
20160904_184751.jpg

Then I poked a few more times. The pictures are horrible but I think you can see the similarities.
20160904_184917.jpg

Like I said, I can't be 100% sure it's an aiptasia but I'd be willing to bet on it.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160904_184341.jpg

I think everyone can agree that this is an aiptasia??
Here is the same one after I poked it a few times.
20160904_184751.jpg

Then I poked a few more times. The pictures are horrible but I think you can see the similarities.
20160904_184917.jpg

Like I said, I can't be 100% sure it's an aiptasia but I'd be willing to bet on it.
Yes this is an Aiptasia .

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have quite a few species of Aipasia that looks a little bit different from the common ones in most aquariums why it makes it a little difficult to positive ID.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 14 10.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 49 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back