Ideal Copper levels using coppersafe?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is my first time using copper as part of the quarantine (learned my lesson when a pair of clownfish brought in velvet). I've been digging through threads on what the ideal therapeutic level I should aim for in my QT tank and I am still confused ;Cyclops!

I've got a 10g QT set up that currently has small chalk bass and a small two spot goby in it. They've been doing fine for about a week and so far haven't exhibit any symptoms for the main diseases. Yesterday my Hanna copper checker arrived so I attempted to use coppersafe for the first time.

Baseline level: 0.00ppm
After adding 12.5ml (5ml of coppersafe/4g per instructions): 2.30ppm

I should note that the only behavioral change I've seen is the chalk bass may be breathing slightly faster than yesterday.

Is 2.30ppm too high? If so, do I just do a partial water change until I get down to 2.00ppm?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2.3 is high and I always recommend 1.75 to assure treatment effective as well as no effect on bacteria and oxygen

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is my first time using copper as part of the quarantine (learned my lesson when a pair of clownfish brought in velvet). I've been digging through threads on what the ideal therapeutic level I should aim for in my QT tank and I am still confused ;Cyclops!

I've got a 10g QT set up that currently has small chalk bass and a small two spot goby in it. They've been doing fine for about a week and so far haven't exhibit any symptoms for the main diseases. Yesterday my Hanna copper checker arrived so I attempted to use coppersafe for the first time.

Baseline level: 0.00ppm
After adding 12.5ml (5ml of coppersafe/4g per instructions): 2.30ppm

I should note that the only behavioral change I've seen is the chalk bass may be breathing slightly faster than yesterday.

Is 2.30ppm too high? If so, do I just do a partial water change until I get down to 2.00ppm?

Thanks!
The label instructions for coppersafe are spot-on, as long as you are sure you dosed for the tank’s actual volume(displacement due to decorations, etc). A bare 10 gallon tank actually holds about 8 gallons.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The label instructions for coppersafe are spot-on, as long as you are sure you dosed for the tank’s actual volume(displacement due to decorations, etc). A bare 10 gallon tank actually holds about 8 gallons.
Jay
Hi Jay,

That would be it then, I dosed based on 10g of water instead of 8g! I am thinking the next step is to do a water change to bring the concentration down?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

That would be it then, I dosed based on 10g of water instead of 8g! I am thinking the next step is to do a water change to bring the concentration down?

Thanks!
Yep, you could replace 2 gallons of water, with untreated seawater.

jay

Upvote 0

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used CopperSafe many, many times, with all types of fish— Warasse, Butterflies, etc. As you may know, the therapeutic range is 1.5 - 2.0, so I usually shoot for about 1.75 (as Jay suggested); best checked with a Hanna Checker, in my opinion. Especially for Ich, do NOT let it ever fall below 1.5, or it’s time to start your timeline all over again. (Also it is best to ramp up into the therapeutic range over 2-3 days, so add that as to your timeline.) Best wishes.

Upvote 0

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used CopperSafe many, many times, with all types of fish— Warasse, Butterflies, etc. As you may know, the therapeutic range is 1.5 - 2.0, so I usually shoot for about 1.75 (as Jay suggested); best checked with a Hanna Checker, in my opinion. Especially for Ich, do NOT let it ever fall below 1.5, or it’s time to start your timeline all over again. (Also it is best to ramp up into the therapeutic range over 2-3 days, so add that as to your timeline.) Best wishes.
Pretty sure humble fish suggested 2.0 and I think I’ve been running high as in 2.3 for awhile. Clownfish seems fine but I’m ramping it down to 2.0

Upvote 0

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally done with 30 days copper. Clownfish has done well with no signs of any issues. If salinity and temp are the same can I just plop in a bucket of tank water then transfer into DT in the peacemaker for a few days?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always remove the copper and wait at least two weeks to ensure no disease breaks...
Jay

Upvote 0

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very very good investment would be the $50 Hannah copper tester.

Before I got one I meticulously measured the copper power dosage, only to find out it was much lower than where it was supposed to be when I used the Hanna.

Upvote 0

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very very good investment would be the $50 Hannah copper tester.

Before I got one I meticulously measured the copper power dosage, only to find out it was much lower than where it was supposed to be when I used the Hanna.

I’ve used Hanna all 30 days and have been in the 2.2-2.5 range coppersafe

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to another disease or ich that made it through qt?
Anything! Too many times people conclude a treatment and move the fish into the DT, only to have something flare up. As long as the fish is stable in the QT, waiting 2 more weeks is always a good idea.
Jay

Upvote 0

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything! Too many times people conclude a treatment and move the fish into the DT, only to have something flare up. As long as the fish is stable in the QT, waiting 2 more weeks is always a good idea.
Jay
Hi Jay, with your extensive experience I was curious to know whether you ever had a fish get sick in the two weeks of observation after a month of copper treatment?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, with your extensive experience I was curious to know whether you ever had a fish get sick in the two weeks of observation after a month of copper treatment?
Yes - usually flukes. I should have added that I run a diagnostic dip on the fish at the end of the two weeks, to screen for Neobenedenia flukes.

Jay

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back