Ideas on floating aquascape

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. My next tank build will be a floating space. I just hope I can balance rockwork successfully and account for weight of growing coral. I would also put eggcrate under the sand in case it tips over.. you won't have sharp rock punching the glass bottom.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some left over Tonga Branch Live rock left over from my TONGA BRANCH SALE.
i AM GOING TO be going with a more Minimal Scape this time around for my SCA150. Anyways, this structure I made last night will be placed at the back of the tank if front of my main showpiece that I had custom made by a company which is totally reef safe! My new Build thread should be up in a few weeks.
My Tonga Branch show scape I made w/ Marco Mortar E-400

Tongascape2.jpeg

Last edited:

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some E-Marco 400 Motor Kit and cement in a few of my leftover Tonga Branch live rock pieces. The Measurements on back showpcs, is the following 36''x7''x12''. You can see I have 150 tank specs marked out w/ painters tape. I have plenty of room inside the tank since I went with a 20'' External Overflow box which really gives me a lot more real estate inside of the tank to scape. Specs are the following - 60''x24''x24''. i just wanted something for my fish to hang out in.
36''x7''x12' Tonga Branch
Tongascape3.jpeg

36''x7''x12'' Tonga Branch Custom SHOWPIECE
Tongabranch showpcs#3.jpeg

Last edited:

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 12mm acrylic bases under all my rock work to stabilize things for future growth.

12.jpg

In the middle of adding substrate back into the display but the right island is the rock in the pic above.

54.jpg
What are you using to weld the rock to the acrylic? Or did you drill through both?

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base of the rock was cut flat with a 5" angle grinder Gregg and then the entire thing is super glued with BSI medium thickness gap filler glue which soaks into the rocks where they bond rather than gel which never penetrates dry rock.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The base of the rock was cut flat with a 5" angle grinder Gregg and then the entire thing is super glued with BSI medium thickness gap filler glue which soaks into the rocks where they bond rather than gel which never penetrates dry rock.
Sweet. Great idea. How do you think that gap filler would work on live rock?

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. Great idea. How do you think that gap filler would work on live rock?

It works fine Gregg but if i use it on live rock out of the water i also use the BSI instant cyano set spray and that way it fully cures in about 60 seconds. The spray has a perfume but it's 100% safe and doesn't bother acros etc. I use the gel for underwater work.

https://rcworld.com.au/product/bob-smith-insta-cure-medium-ca-1-oz-bsi107/

https://rcworld.com.au/product/bob-smith-instacure-cyno-ic-gel-aquarium-coral-frag-glue-bsi116/

https://rcworld.com.au/product/bob-smith-accelerator-kicker-pump-2-oz-bsi151/

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 3 pillar look, not natural looking at all but its a change from what i usually do. The open bottom gives me great flow and particles stay suspended until sucked into the overflow. Up top will be all SPS once the tank is ready.
upload_2019-2-12_13-9-13.png

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did a 3 pillar look, not natural looking at all but its a change from what i usually do. The open bottom gives me great flow and particles stay suspended until sucked into the overflow. Up top will be all SPS once the tank is ready.
upload_2019-2-12_13-9-13.png

I really like it

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An angle grinder with a cut off wheel, or probably most hand saws will make quick work of most rock. I was able to cut straight enough to make pedestal pieces that could be siliconed to the base of the tank. Since I'm going to run a sand bed, I cemented my pedestal pieces to flat pieces of landscaping rock that will be buried under the sand. Having said all that, in retrospect, I should have just bought the pre-made pedestals.

If you have it well planned out though, you should be able to do the work you need to before you have much die off. Also, no reason you can't use a masonry bit in an inch of water, so long as you're very careful or using a cordless drill. Ever take art history? Contrapposto. If your creation balances by itself without fiberclass rods, zip-ties, epoxy, superglue, it will inherently be pretty stable and won't unduly stress whatever method of bonding the rock you choose to use.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back