Idiot Reefer

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others that your Ca probably had nothing to do with it. I am curious about your ALK levels at the time of your low Ca levels. Those tend to work inverse to each other.

Your problem IMO, is either the ALK was to high, or that those two corals were very stressed to begin with and the dip in Coral Rx pushed them over the edge. @WWC recommends waiting 10 to 24 hours to dip corals after receiving them just for that reason. I use Coral Rx and have over done it with that dip as well. Lesson learned. I now error on the side of under dosing the Coral Rx in my dip, only leaving the corals in it for 2-3 minutes, and inspecting them carefully prior to putting them in my tank. I feel that if I need to dip again in a couple of days, I always have that option.

As far as the age of the tank, it may be a little young even though you are a stickler for parameters. I think there is more going on regarding bacteria and how SPS react than can be measured by the standard test kits we use.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - like I said - I didn't mean to insult you only was trying to make the point that it seems that people overanalyze sometimes - which leads to more changes - and more problems:)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local fish stores lose new frags sometimes and their levels have been stable for years and they run large scale systems in terms of total gallons etc. I just think relocating a frag sometimes just doesn’t work. Maybe it’s position in tank relative to light/flow etc. Who knows..... I guess my main point was, if I added a dozen frags at once and 1 or 2 died, I wouldn’t start tearing everything apart and trying to find some flaw in my tank that caused it.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing salinity? Also what type of salt do you use? Some salts like fritz coral pro helps eliminate or lower dosing of elements the tanks needs.

OP
OP
M

Michael McNeal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo what was your alk at? If your not testing for alk sps will be a problem for you to keep. Most will agree its 1 if not the most important things to test for.
i test for both maybe just didnt make it to clear in the post. the alk stayed steady at 8.0. I think testing error and over dosed dip or too long as directed on the label. lesson learned. thanks for your insight

dputt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to use bayer, but it does a very poor job at preventing nudibranchs IMO. I have started using Coral Rx. I know some have decided that it is harsh on corals but out of the 20+ corals i have added I have only lost one. it's worth mentioning that the one coral that i lost was in pretty poor condition when i got it. it was a freebie.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always check the water they came in to compare thiers to mine. Corals don't like a big change, then acclimate them to yours.

Back