IDip PO4 reading question

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an iDip to test my water. I am confused about the reading it is giving forthe PO4 test. One screen shows a reading of 0.16 ppm (as P) and when I scroll over, the diffent measurement is .49 ppm (as PO4). Which unit am I suppose to be looking at? Thank you in advance!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with iDip tests but here is what is happening: the PO4 reading is for Orthophosphate, or Phosphate, and the P reading is for Phosphorus.

To convert from units of orthophosphate (PO43-) to phosphorus (PO4-P), multiply the value by 0.3261. To convert from phosphorus (PO4-P) to orthophosphate (PO43-) divide the value by 0.3261.

By using the simple formulas above, you'll see that your iDip just makes some calculations.

In short, if you're looking to get your phosphate reading, and I guess that is what you're after, just use the PO4 reading.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Cristy17

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with iDip tests but here is what is happening: the PO4 reading is for Orthophosphate, or Phosphate, and the P reading is for Phosphorus.

To convert from units of orthophosphate (PO43-) to phosphorus (PO4-P), multiply the value by 0.3261. To convert from phosphorus (PO4-P) to orthophosphate (PO43-) divide the value by 0.3261.

By using the simple formulas above, you'll see that your iDip just makes some calculations.

In short, if you're looking to get your phosphate reading, and I guess that is what you're after, just use the PO4 reading.

Hope this helps!
Thank you!!! I finally understand what the difference is! So the .49 is what I am looking at...I think a bit high for a mixed reef..Thanks again!

eXact iDip®

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to confirm for future users that yes, the iDip® is converting PO4 to P by running this calculation: PO4 ppm X 0.3261 = ppm P. You can change your preferences in the menu by going to "profile" and selecting "Preferred Units of Measure." From there, you can scroll from Phosphorus to Phosphate to change your preferred unit.

IMG_7648.PNG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back