If you could solve ONE reefing-mystery

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many things we don’t have the answer to in the reefing hobby. We need more studies for answers, which can be limited in time, money, and even knowledge.

However, if I could grant you one wish: you could have the definitive answer to any mystery pertaining to the hobby, but the condition is that you can only solve ONE mystery...

What would you solve?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether iodine is needed or useful for most corals we keep, and if so, what it actually does on a molecular level.

State of the art published science does not seem to have info bearing on this question for most corals.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether iodine is needed or useful for most corals we keep, and if so, what it actually does on a molecular level.

State of the art published science does not seem to have info bearing on this question for most corals.
As I was making this thread, I was almost certain you would choose to completely understand ORP.

I was mistaken. I didn’t even know iodine was a mystery to us for corals. Wow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was making this thread, I was almost certain you would choose to completely understand ORP.

I was mistaken. I didn’t even know iodine was a mystery to us for corals. Wow.

lol

True, that's another good one.

There are a number of good mysteries and/or myths that are hard to prove or disprove or understand.

The presence or absence of any beneficial effects of natural strontium levels (vs much lower levels) is also interesting.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to know that too. I dose because I believe my zoas seem to respond when I dose.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how many people just want an aiptasia cure :thinking-face:. Shows how different everyone’s experience is.

I think some of the mystery coral diseases would be nice. Like the slime that kills euphyllia. What is it and how do you prevent/stop it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New rule: You can say more than 1, because I find this topic very interesting.

Here’s one answer I wish I had:

I wish I knew the exact cause of dinoflagellates and cyano. What causes them in some tanks and not in others? Nobody knows 100%.

Back