if You started a new tank would it be a complete system or something you put together

Would you buy a complete box set or each piece seperate?

• Total voters

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had numerous setups in the past including my current one being a 60 gallon cube. My 10gallon, 20gallon long x2, 120 and now cube have all been pieced together. Some equipment gets transferred at least to start but ultimately it becomes its own brand new system every time.

That being said. In about another year or two when we move into a new house I will be building a new system. It will be a complete in box system. Either a Redsea or Waterbox (something equivalent for that time). I really want the experience of not having to find a stand or make one and have something that just goes good together ring out of the box. And some even come with good lightning options I would more then likely get at the same time as well.

But I would replace the sump in all of them because I still don’t like them :p

Oiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is custom. It will be designed by me but buildt by our tank supplier.

There is currently nothing out there that covers my needs. It will be doing auto wc no buckets, all i need is to add salt and balling. Everything will fit inside the stand, and have drawers for food, equiptment so on. Basicly everything will be nice and tight and have its own space.

After many years in this hobby i have figured out what i want and like, so i am excited to see how this turns out.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built Forsure I think that’s 80% of the hobbie for me watching it come together . I think for me I have more fun with the build then keeping it lol

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of that debate now. The AIO are appealing, but I don't like the cabinets. Particle board MDF is never a good option when moisture is involved.

I love the Waterbox tank design, but don't want the cabinet or sump.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a 30g but to me an AIO was the way to go.. I still had options to change/ upgrade pumps, baskets, up, pump, ato and select the lights I wanted.. Aluminum stand. For me it’s easy to take care of-for a little old lady. And looks good in our dining room.
im not hand, or a plummer or a DIYer. It works for me.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started saltwater and reef tanks in the early 1980s I had to DIY everything. The only equipment you could purchase was in Europe. I made my own wet/dry sump, my lighting consisted of metal halide landscape lights and shop power compact fluorescents. I’ve had my fill of DIY. My current tank is a RSR 450 and I couldn’t be happier. Superior performance with much less hassle

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently building my very first tank (newbie) and doing it as separates.

Though I love the look of the waterboxes and red seas, I couldn't help but notice that the stands in all the LFS's were suffering (doors not closing, etc). More importantly, seemed like I would pay a lot for something with substandard plumbing set ups and just in general, would have to "redo" (or "upgrade") a lot of things before long.

Doing it as a first timer and separates, I have no regrets (disclaimer: not done yet, don't have a running tank yet!).

I have been forced to learn a lot, and it's a process I have enjoyed. I will thoroughly understand my plumbing and what not first day. Most importantly, I believe the final product will be better for the same price. It may, however, not look as neat, since I'm doing this on a budget. But what I'm finding is that it looks better than I anticipated.

Again, no regrets.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of the Waterbox 220 or Redsea 9003X (tanks); and the fact that all plumbing included (with instructions), since i have never DIY or have minimal plumbing experience. BUT I don’t like the stands (Planet Aquarium sells built stands that look nice, but I don’t like the framed tanks). I also don’t like the waterbox sump (fuge area to small), and Red Sea sump (don’t like the location of return pump or layout).

I really wanted a trigger system sump (and I found a planet set up but no plumbing included, and again, don’t like the framed tank). So to get exactly what I want I would have to DIY, but the plumbing (or basically LEAKS) scare me.

I also have difficulty finding comprehensive beginner plumbing aquarium set up instruction videos. Anyone can suggest a good video or link or plumbing for begginers

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I do like those waterbox

I love the look of the Waterbox 220 or Redsea 9003X (tanks); and the fact that all plumbing included (with instructions), since i have never DIY or have minimal plumbing experience. BUT I don’t like the stands (Planet Aquarium sells built stands that look nice, but I don’t like the framed tanks). I also don’t like the waterbox sump (fuge area to small), and Red Sea sump (don’t like the location of return pump or layout).

I really wanted a trigger system sump (and I found a planet set up but no plumbing included, and again, don’t like the framed tank). So to get exactly what I want I would have to DIY, but the plumbing (or basically LEAKS) scare me.

I also have difficulty finding comprehensive beginner plumbing aquarium set up instruction videos. Anyone can suggest a good video or link or plumbing for begginers

I hate the plumbing part. There are some good vids on the 52 weeks BRS site. Also a lot of helpful folks. For me the only really pain in the but part is the bulkheads. BRS sells a tool that tightens the nut which really helps

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I do like those waterbox

I hate the plumbing part. There are some good vids on the 52 weeks BRS site. Also a lot of helpful folks. For me the only really pain in the but part is the bulkheads. BRS sells a tool that tightens the nut which really helps
I dislike the plumbing on the Waterbox. I like the plumbing on the Redsea 3X, but hate the sump design. I like design on trigger sumps. Or maybe a tideline sump. I really does come down to maybe DIY to get everything exactly as you want it.

As I run numbers on large PNP with all the equipment I am breaking over 9g. For that price it better be perfect, and it’s not! Nothing is! Unless maybe you DIY. Ugh.

I wonder how much LFS charge to set up new tanks. Maybe hire one as a “assistant” to help walk me through the plumbing sump set up.

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike the plumbing on the Waterbox. I like the plumbing on the Redsea 3X, but hate the sump design. I like design on trigger sumps. Or maybe a tideline sump. I really does come down to maybe DIY to get everything exactly as you want it.

As I run numbers on large PNP with all the equipment I am breaking over 9g. For that price it better be perfect, and it’s not! Nothing is! Unless maybe you DIY. Ugh.

I wonder how much LFS charge to set up new tanks. Maybe hire one as a “assistant” to help walk me through the plumbing sump set up.

I would say find a tank you like and go from there. 9k is crazy money. But I’m way past that so whose to judge. I also have a tank I set up in a day on the cheap. I say get what you want in your budget. I would first try on your own to set it up with help from online vids and from here. The best way to learn is trial and error. You would be surprised, you’ll end up with a great tank

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom tank. Mine is from custom aquariums. 72”x30”x24” 220 gallon. Built my own stand 72” x30”x36” because I did not like dimension or price on standard stands. Custom sump from jax.rax on eBay. Used a standard 75 gal from Petco and used Jax.rax baffle kit. Reef octo regal 200 int. Skimmer. Reef octo lr200 algae reactor. Gyre 250’s for flow and jebeao dip-1500 return pump. Couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out.

2B135CD5-FCBB-4A82-8444-327B4F1EBBA7.jpeg 187E56B7-D25B-43EF-BE6A-92953150A7C6.jpeg 51C2E439-2E3D-4539-9F10-DE953E485B72.jpeg 2902207E-EE75-4C90-A7EF-3EAA7D9A5EEB.jpeg F442F29B-CBFA-4D92-BFDA-43D827DDDBD9.jpeg 0DC851F2-3CC8-4018-99E2-B47650FFBD0C.jpeg D5D9F97D-3346-48CE-9905-82DD15F6E9C4.jpeg 5E6B7528-1E76-4002-9325-EABB0FFDCF51.jpeg

OP
OP
Mastiffsrule

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom tank. Mine is from custom aquariums. 72”x30”x24” 220 gallon. Built my own stand 72” x30”x36” because I did not like dimension or price on standard stands. Custom sump from jax.rax on eBay. Used a standard 75 gal from Petco and used Jax.rax baffle kit. Reef octo regal 200 int. Skimmer. Reef octo lr200 algae reactor. Gyre 250’s for flow and jebeao dip-1500 return pump. Couldn’t be happier with the way it turned out.

2B135CD5-FCBB-4A82-8444-327B4F1EBBA7.jpeg 187E56B7-D25B-43EF-BE6A-92953150A7C6.jpeg 51C2E439-2E3D-4539-9F10-DE953E485B72.jpeg 2902207E-EE75-4C90-A7EF-3EAA7D9A5EEB.jpeg F442F29B-CBFA-4D92-BFDA-43D827DDDBD9.jpeg 0DC851F2-3CC8-4018-99E2-B47650FFBD0C.jpeg D5D9F97D-3346-48CE-9905-82DD15F6E9C4.jpeg 5E6B7528-1E76-4002-9325-EABB0FFDCF51.jpeg

This is a slick build. Didn’t see if you had a build thread going. Sure folk would stop in to see progress , looks great so far

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been convinced! I started my next tank research for a PNP system (and voted here originally that way). Now I am looking into DIY!

Still having issues finding the right tank / stand combo (72 inch long, over 180g). And I’m still learning and researching how to plumb a sump. But this is a lot more fun this way!

Chuka1212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the "bit of both" camp. I love the look of Waterbox, Reefers, etc. - hard to beat the clean lines and perfect stands unless you're getting into the spendy custom jobs or have a lot of fabrication skills. The barebones options for AIO's come with stand, tank, and sump. Then you pick and choose the equipment that goes into it. That's my preferred way :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back