IM 100gal EXT journey

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2yr update! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Sorry it took so long. Tank has been through some highs and lows, naturally. Was really battling with figuring out how to keep the husbandry consistent since my work takes me out of town all the time. Filter socks were not being changed in a timely manner, protein skimmer wasn't getting the TLC it needed. Long story short I was struggling with nutrient export big time and had a huge GHA outbreak, everything looked awful. Huge eyesore. No one was happy. Wife, corals, and fish were not impressed :downcast-face-with-sweat:

I needed to come up with a solution that allowed me to keep the tank while still traveling a lot for work. Housed all my livestock in a temporary setup. Got new rock and sand. Cycled. Ditched the filter socks and protein skimmer. Put a refugium where the protein skimmer was. Made the switch to a fleece roller mat which turned out to be a life saver, but since it was an after thought it didn't fit very well with the sump dimensions. Made it difficult to get in there and get a tight seal at the fleece roller inlet which is crucial. It still worked just not 100% efficiency. I wasn't getting that crystal clear water and there was always a little film on the surface. Ran with this setup pretty smoothly for over a year, but still wasn't happy with the water getting passed the fleece roller mat and its effect on water quality.

This past weekend I ditched the synergy sump, used a Fiji Cube DIY baffle kit on a 40gal breeder and built the sump to the exact specifications I needed. Now I have plenty of room to run the plumbing the way I wanted to the fleece roller mat, running a Tunze algae reactor outside the sump so I got my skimmer section back! Took down the top shelf in the stand and got a controller cabinet. Much more room to work around the sump now and do maintenance, and much easier access to all my electronics in the cabinet or mounted on the cabinet face.

It was a huge pain to change the sump and a little plumbing, but I'm very happy with the decision. Water has never looked better. Nothing is getting passed the fleece roller mat now. Everything is much more accessible and so much nicer to work under the tank. Still tweaking stuff since it hasn't been running this way very long but I'm super excited with what the future holds!

IMG_1562.jpg IMG_7903.jpg IMG_7878.jpg IMG_7879.jpg IMG_7880.jpg IMG_7881.jpg IMG_7885.jpg IMG_7887.jpg IMG_7892.jpg IMG_7893.jpg IMG_7894.jpg IMG_7895.jpg IMG_7908.jpg IMG_7909.jpg IMG_7917.jpg IMG_7920.jpg IMG_7921.jpg IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7904.jpg IMG_7931.jpg IMG_7933.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7936.jpg IMG_7938.jpg IMG_7945.jpg IMG_7946.jpg IMG_7947.jpg IMG_7953.jpg IMG_7954.jpg IMG_7955.jpg
Glad to see the tank is still going strong!

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m always amazed at how this hobby has such an inspirational quality that can keep you engaged. It makes you want to find solutions and get over hurdles and strive for that dream reef.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back