IM 25 lagoon EXT overflow Top

BryantR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a company selling a top/ Cap for the innovative Marine Ext overflow box? Hoping to eliminate some of the light creep. TIA

image.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a diy project?

Buy a small piece of colored acrylic or plastic and cut it to size. Maybe put a couple small pieces on the underside of the lid so it helps hold the lid in place.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My EXT tank came with one. I'm sure IM would be happy to sell you one, but making one as suggested seems like the easiest route.

OP
OP
B

BryantR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a diy project?

Buy a small piece of colored acrylic or plastic and cut it to size. Maybe put a couple small pieces on the underside of the lid so it helps hold the lid in place.

yup, was figuring as much. That seems to be the best solution.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact IM, they will most likely send you one out.

Alternatively, get one made out of polycarbonate or something similar. Simply getting acrylic, even when braced, will eventually warp.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have the water level so low in the overflow box for a reason you should raise it to where it's just trickling down the emergency drain. It will be quiet then and no need for the pad to quiet the splash.

OP
OP
B

BryantR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have the water level so low in the overflow box for a reason you should raise it to where it's just trickling down the emergency drain. It will be quiet then and no need for the pad to quiet the splash.

i was doing some maintenance when I took the pic. No issues with sound as I’ve tweaked to where their is no sound. The pad is for the light creep. I’ve read and seen that light can create algae In the pvc pipes.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact IM, they will most likely send you one out.

Alternatively, get one made out of polycarbonate or something similar. Simply getting acrylic, even when braced, will eventually warp.

Acrylic, warp... never seen that happen and I've done a lot of acrylic projects. Bend, droop, maybe even take a set like that, but not warp. If the lid is supported on all f sides, it would be fine.

@BryantR , with a good cover you probably won't get algae, but in time you'll get a lot of other things, thinks that are hard and alive and will need to be scraped off. Just saying it's not a cure all. I understand where you are coming from. My refugium light is close to my skimmer. So I had my wife sew a cone shape section of opaque shower curtain and velcro closures. Otherwise algae would grow inside my skimmer!

OP
OP
B

BryantR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic, warp... never seen that happen and I've done a lot of acrylic projects. Bend, droop, maybe even take a set like that, but not warp. If the lid is supported on all f sides, it would be fine.

@BryantR , with a good cover you probably won't get algae, but in time you'll get a lot of other things, thinks that are hard and alive and will need to be scraped off. Just saying it's not a cure all. I understand where you are coming from. My refugium light is close to my skimmer. So I had my wife sew a cone shape section of opaque shower curtain and velcro closures. Otherwise algae would grow inside my skimmer!

@Ron Reefman
Good info, I’ll need to keep an eye on it. I contacted IM and they sell it for $20. Just bit the bullet and bought it. Thanks for help and advice everyone.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back