Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited to be back in the game with a IM 50 AIO Lagoon w/ White APS stand. Been going Slow with this build decided to finally document it.

Tank and Stand Bought Nov 2020
Tank Finally Wet Oct 2022

Current Equipment

Aquarium:
  • Approximately 50 Gal ( 40 Gal of water with rock)
  • Outside DIMS: Length 29.92” Width: 23.62” Height: 16.14”
  • Display DIMS: Length 29.14” Width: 18.75” Height: 16.14”
  • Crated Package Weight: 136 lbs.
  • Low Iron Glass Beveled and Polished Edges
  • Glass Thickness: 10mm
  • Pre-Assembled SafeScreen Mesh Screen Lid
  • Pre-Installed Rubber Leveling Mat
  • (1) - Micromag Magnetic Glass Cleaner
  • (2) - Nuvo Nozzles
  • (2) - High Tide Water Risers
Filtration:
  • Built-in Acrylic Overflow Wall
  • Integrated Emergency Overflow
  • (1) - Removable 200 Micron Filter Sock
  • (1) - Midsize CustomCaddy Media Basket w/ PurityPack Filter Media (2 – Mechanical Fiberballs, 2- Premium 0.8 ROX Carbon Packs, 2 – High Capacity Coarse GFO Packs)
  • (1) - MightyJet 22W/24V 538 GPH DC Return Pump w/ Controller
  • Includes: Flexible Hose, Return Elbows and Dual Directional Flow Nozzles
50 APS Stand:
  • Stand DIMS: Length 30.12” Width: 23.75” Height: 35.81”
  • Interior DIMS: Length 26.87” Width: 19.31” Height: 33.75”
  • Stand Package Weight: 96 lbs.
  • Anodized Aluminum
  • Corrosion Resistant
  • No Warping or Swelling
  • Integrated Hardware
  • Easy Set up (semi-assembled)
  • Includes hex torque wrench
  • Light Weight
  • Modular
  • Includes pre-cut Closed Cell PVC Foam boards
  • Includes Shelf Board
  • Top and Bottom Magnetic Door Latches
  • Spacious interior for sumps
  • 100% recyclable aluminum
  • Color: White
Add Ons to Tank:
  • Put APS stand on Butcher Block from Home Depot

1642966351478.png

• 4 Rolling Casters

1642966822001.png

• Carib sea - Special Grade 20lbs
  • 30lbs of Marco Rock - Crushed and glued back together to create the NSA Aquascape
  • 1 - Marco Rock Large Foundation Base
  • 1 - Marco Rock Medium Foundation Base
  • 2 - Marco Rock Small Foundation Base
  • 1 -MP40
1642966866127.png

• Cad lights PLS 50 Elite II Skimmer
1642967249733.png

• Avast marine Plank Fish feeder (not in use yet)
1642967143064.png

• 2 Radion XR15 Pros
  • Adaptive reef Controller Cabinet White
  • Added 1 more Mighty Jet
  • Ink Bird Duel Heather with 2 100W heaters for redundancy
  • Profilux 4e White
1642966995875.png

• 4 VCA Random Flow Generators
1642967042031.png

• Aqua shield UV Sterilizer
1642967076726.png

• 2- Polyplab Genesis Filter Media Block
  • 10 Gal Synergy Reef ATO Container
1642966959952.png

• Duetto Duel Sensor ATO
1642967337519.png

Current Live Stock:
  • 1 Cleaner Shrimp
  • 5 Astraea Snails
  • 5 Nassarius Snails
  • 5 Red Leg Hermits
  • 5 Blue Leg Hermits

1642967302419.png
1642967326116.png

Last edited:

Devi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using that ATO in another tank and it does not work right at all. I wouldn't trust it.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes saved me from reaching around. Rolls right out so i can get to the back chambers for easy access.
I have the same tank, welcome to the Lagoon 50 club. Love the casters. I thought of the same ones, or similar, but too late to actually implement the idea. Glad to see that it would have worked. You’ll love the skimmer, it’s a beast. What’s the stocking plan for fish and corals?

OP
OP
Krypler

Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, welcome to the Lagoon 50 club. Love the casters. I thought of the same ones, or similar, but too late to actually implement the idea. Glad to see that it would have worked. You’ll love the skimmer, it’s a beast. What’s the stocking plan for fish and corals?
Thank you, I love the tank so far. The skimmer is doing great, even without fish. Guess the ghost feeding is a little much. Stocking plan is still TBD on fish. Starting out with some Zoas for a Zoa Garden but then thinking about taking the leap into SPS sticks higher up. I need to get a par meter but, i am thinking the 2 xr15 pros at 60% intensity with the AB+ schedule should be enough Par but i thought about adding XHO Quad 24in to add a little more blue to bring out the pop.
1643328126907.png

Last edited:

Troyntu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s that skimmer working for you? I had that for a little bit on my old jbj65 until it started to not adjusting right so went back to the tunze 9004

OP
OP
Krypler

Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s that skimmer working for you? I had that for a little bit on my old jbj65 until it started to not adjusting right so went back to the tunze 9004

PLS-50 Elite II is working great for me so far. I had a aqua max HOB 1.5 on the tank at first (still have it) but i could not get it dialed in to produce skim mate. So far i am pleased with the PLS-50 as i havent even added fish and i am getting some good light brown skim mate.

1643338465070.png

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I love the tank so far. The skimmer is doing great, even without fish. Guess the ghost feeding is a little much. Stocking plan is still TBD on fish. Starting out with some Zoas for a Zoa Garden but then thinking about taking the leap into SPS sticks higher up. I need to get a par meter but, i am thinking the 2 xr15 pros at 60% intensity with the AB+ schedule should be enough Par but i thought about adding XHO Quad 24in to add a little more blue to bring out the pop.
1643328126907.png
IMO you don’t need the quad. I have two Reefi Unos which have similar coverage area to the Radions and I think I just need one more supplemental light bar to go over the very front of the tank angled inward. I’m going to go with the Reefbreeders 24“ UV/Blue hybrid once I figure out a canopy solution. The 2 strip version of that XHO fixture with the two Radions will be plenty.

Love the Zoa selections. I’m a fan, have about 10 different types, although nothing real exotic. They’re great for filling in spaces with color in between other types of corals.

OP
OP
Krypler

Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you don’t need the quad. I have two Reefi Unos which have similar coverage area to the Radions and I think I just need one more supplemental light bar to go over the very front of the tank angled inward. I’m going to go with the Reefbreeders 24“ UV/Blue hybrid once I figure out a canopy solution. The 2 strip version of that XHO fixture with the two Radions will be plenty.

Love the Zoa selections. I’m a fan, have about 10 different types, although nothing real exotic. They’re great for filling in spaces with color in between other types of corals.

I figure the 2 strip version would work but i found the quad for the same price. Not sure if it will be overkill or not though?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure the 2 strip version would work but i found the quad for the same price. Not sure if it will be overkill or not though?
Well that’s a good deal, are you getting a used one? Are you also getting the dimmer? If not that’s a lot of light that you don’t have any control over except for mounting height. The quad version is just short of 18” wide and the display area on the tank is a bit less than 20” so you’ll also have a lot of light very close to your rear chambers with the quad. Looking at the picture of the fixture it looks like maybe you can angle the two outside strips to aim them back towards the center of the tank which would help. You don’t want to be growing algae in the back chambers. If you can get the quad for the same price as the two strip model and you get the dimmer you’d be set for lighting on this tank for a long time.

OP
OP
Krypler

Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a good deal, are you getting a used one? Are you also getting the dimmer? If not that’s a lot of light that you don’t have any control over except for mounting height. The quad version is just short of 18” wide and the display area on the tank is a bit less than 20” so you’ll also have a lot of light very close to your rear chambers with the quad. Looking at the picture of the fixture it looks like maybe you can angle the two outside strips to aim them back towards the center of the tank which would help. You don’t want to be growing algae in the back chambers. If you can get the quad for the same price as the two strip model and you get the dimmer you’d be set for lighting on this tank for a long time.

Yes I found the quad used, same price as a new dual. Yes it comes with dimmer. Not sure what option to go with or just stick with the XR15 pros for now.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I found the quad used, same price as a new dual. Yes it comes with dimmer. Not sure what option to go with or just stick with the XR15 pros for now.
I think that the xr15's alone would be more than enough for almost all coral, but not sure unless you have par numbers.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good deal then, especially with the dimmer so you can really dial it in. You can absolutely just go with the XR15s and then add supplemental lighting later if you think you need it.
I think that the xr15's alone would be more than enough for almost all coral, but not sure unless you have par numbers.
I had one XR15G4 over my Lagoon 50 and it lights the tank just fine for viewing purposes. It created shadowing though because it’s a single point of light over a 30x20 area. Even with two Reefi Unos over the tank now I still need one more strip light at the front to eliminate some shadowing on the front of a few sps pieces. The Unos have plenty of power, they just can’t hit every angle.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Krypler I'm considering this same tank and am curious about the casters. Do you have them mounted to the IM stand or did you build a platform for the casters and then the tank sits on top of the platform?

OP
OP
Krypler

Krypler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Krypler I'm considering this same tank and am curious about the casters. Do you have them mounted to the IM stand or did you build a platform for the casters and then the tank sits on top of the platform?
I mounted the casters to a Butcher block board I got from Home Depot. I cut to size to have a little hangover front and back.

1644117709423.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back