Im done with ecotech who makes a reliable led?

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have lost a radion to moisture. Sure it's a good light but ecotech fails to do anything about making their light moisture resistant. I have my lights 8 inches off the water in a canopy and after the first failure I added glass tops. 2 years is still all I get before the moisture renders it useless. Ecotech only solution is to repair for $275 or replace for over $400. It doesn't seem to matter your issue, no matter how many thousands you spent on their products, this is their only solution. Instead of me lining their pockets again I'm considering a switch. Is there any lights that are durable and moisture resistant. So far everything is pointing to kessels. Any information or input will be appreciated.

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second time I have lost a radion to moisture. Sure it's a good light but ecotech fails to do anything about making their light moisture resistant. I have my lights 8 inches off the water in a canopy and after the first failure I added glass tops. 2 years is still all I get before the moisture renders it useless. Ecotech only solution is to repair for $275 or replace for over $400. It doesn't seem to matter your issue, no matter how many thousands you spent on their products, this is their only solution. Instead of me lining their pockets again I'm considering a switch. Is there any lights that are durable and moisture resistant. So far everything is pointing to kessels. Any information or input will be appreciated.
I can't speak to the moisture resistant part, but check into the Reef Breeders Photon V2. Great light and great customer service in my experience so far!

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three year warranty on these awesome lights!

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zetlight Q Maven 2 Series , ( Water Proof ) I have a friend running these lights on his tank SPS and they are doing a good job. I personally run Photon V2 but they are suspended and 11 inches above the water surface . He has his in a canopy for 1 year and a half with no issues . These LED can be submerged in the water as they are water tight.Might be worth a look The reviews I have read are positive and seeing these in person I was impressed and if I didn't, already have The Photon V2 I think these would be a top contender for me. Price and warranty are right. MUCH less the Ecotec.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you losing them to “moisture”? Kind of interesting because eco tech has always been good to me. They replaced two dry sides for my vortechs free of charge no questions asked. I’m sure there’s a reason they’re not willing to replace them...

OP
OP
Tangchaser

Tangchaser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you losing them to “moisture”? Kind of interesting because eco tech has always been good to me. They replaced two dry sides for my vortechs free of charge no questions asked. I’m sure there’s a reason they’re not willing to replace them...
They wont replace them because it outside the 1 year warranty. I live in Houston where the humidity is always high. The fact that the lights are above a saltwater tank plus the average humidity you can see some condensation on the light from time to time. I believe the fact that the fan stays on helps keep moisture out. If power is lost or fan goes out (which I believe happened) moisture gets in and causes failure. It doesn't help that the only line of defense against humidity and moisture is the fan.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont replace them because it outside the 1 year warranty. I live in Houston where the humidity is always high. The fact that the lights are above a saltwater tank plus the average humidity you can see some condensation on the light from time to time. I believe the fact that the fan stays on helps keep moisture out. If power is lost or fan goes out (which I believe happened) moisture gets in and causes failure. It doesn't help that the only line of defense against humidity and moisture is the fan.
That’s interesting. I live in Florida and have never had a problem.... your lights must be pretty close to the water. Never see any condensation on any of my lights.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should finally see the Phillips solution make it to the NA market sometime in the first half of next year. That's the only LED fixture that I'm personally at all interested in the short term. *whops, cut off. It's also pretty much the only major vendor solution I've seen that takes MBTF and ingress ratings seriously, meaning there should be a good warranty and no fans / exposed PCB to corrode.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my 360x’s on my 90 but kessils customer support has not been overly helpful to me in the past. I still have one 360we that I can’t mount on my 40b because they don’t respond to my emails about a replacement screw for the gooseneck. Frustrating for sure.

SlipperyWhipple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 360x. They are expensive but that's only because they are worth it. Check out what BRS says about it:

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How close to the water are you and are these enclosed?

I have the orpheks and love them but they are definitely not waterproof. They do, however, recommend having the light 12-14" off the water which helps greatly.

Keep in mind that any item that has a fan has an intake as well - this is likely where the moisture is coming in from.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you have a canopy. I vented mine to stop my hinges from rusting out.
On one end I have a couple 120mm fan guards for air intake, and on the other end is a 120mm computer fan blowing out. I put some fiberglass bug screen over it to protect jumpers.
No more moisture

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back