I'm going insane

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two months of dosing phyto last year.
2B415808-57D5-45D3-BCA6-FBEB95660B87.jpeg 9FA65E65-6E69-4EB0-B1ED-65B52C88ED97.jpeg

06FA8132-B0BD-439D-994F-09B75B56CA91.jpeg
Phytoplankton is a good source of nitrogen, and it’s helpful to increase the heterotrophic bacteria population in a reef, making less free ammonia available to nuisance algae. It’s a good natural way to starve nuisance algae, just a slower process

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes every week (10% water changes). Filtration: Reef octopus skimmer, 3 filter socks, Phosphate reactor, and sponge mesh in the sump. Thanks
Hello, I was in the same spot as you 2 or 3 times in my 8 years of reefing. Each time I managed to clear it up was different so I can't really help you much because all the methods I have used has been mentioned already.

I just want to commend you on even trying to go with a reef tank, when I was your age I had fresh water and was afraid to try it.

I like to ask, why do you have a phosphate reactor? I have never used one, but I do run a UV light 24/7 in the sump, a skimmer in the sump with the skimmate dumping into the filter pad. So some of the skimmate the liquid is returned to the water because I believe there is some beneficial nutrients in the liquid, and the filter will capture the most of the nasty solids. I do this to keep my nutrients high, my nitrates have been at 25 ppm for a couple years now, phosphate I keep around .09 to 0.29 and all seems ok at the moment.

What ever you do don't give up. You are still in the learning stage and will take some time to learn. I am still learning something new in this hobby. I love it, the good and the bad.

This picture was my 46 gallon bowfront at 3 years. I upgraded to 75 gallon 3 years ago for my Yellow Tang. The 75 pic was taken 2 years ago. After the move I had some problems but overcame them. You are a smart kid, you will over come yours. Take care and sorry for the long story, hope it inspires you.

Attachments

• 2020 2.jpg
    2020 2.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 75 now.jpg
    75 now.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 36

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expecting this tank to be cleaned up in three weeks with a clean up crew and a blenny is totally unrealistic in my opinion. Lots of good advice here on how to clean it up realistically!
Oh I forgot to mention two urchins and two lawnmower blennys rocks will be bare lol

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for your struggles. We have probably all been through this at one time or another. I do not have time to read over everything, but what has worked for me in the past has been a few things.

I have rip cleaned many times. Even my 210g. For a while I thought I was doing it every few months on my 40g. It takes lots of effort sometimes.

Algae scrubbers are great tools for managing algae growth. I have built them with just stuff around the house or for super cheap. If you want to see some, let me know. They are easy and effective.

Urchins are great with algae. Not briopsis, but most others. Varigated or tuxedo are my go to.

Good luck!

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Reef Flux like I mentioned it didnt work sadly.
Sorry, I missed that part of your post. Maybe you mis-calculated the amount of water in the tank sand didn’t add enough? Or maybe it’s not bryopsis? Sorry to doubt you but if used correctly, it melts bryopsis over the course of a week or two. It’s a biochemical reaction that disrupts certain pathways in the algae and it dies. I was skeptical until I used it.
I dunno, I’d give it another shot.

good luck

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Flux worked for me also, sometimes you have to give it a little more time and extra dose.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I missed that part of your post. Maybe you mis-calculated the amount of water in the tank sand didn’t add enough? Or maybe it’s not bryopsis? Sorry to doubt you but if used correctly, it melts bryopsis over the course of a week or two. It’s a biochemical reaction that disrupts certain pathways in the algae and it dies. I was skeptical until I used it.
I dunno, I’d give it another shot.

good luck
no problem, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I calculated enough but I could be wrong. I didnt calculate the amount of space the sand and rocks are keeping, but instead I added the total gallons of the tank with the sump too... I used blue vet flux rx, maybe that one isnt as good as one of the others? I assumed I didnt have to calculate the rocks but that probably was a mistake

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no problem, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I calculated enough but I could be wrong. I didnt calculate the amount of space the sand and rocks are keeping, but instead I added the total gallons of the tank with the sump too... I used blue vet flux rx, maybe that one isnt as good as one of the others? I assumed I didnt have to calculate the rocks but that probably was a mistake
might be a good idea to try again soon

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in many hours of work with cleaning the tank and its looking better. Only problem is there is now a lot of detritus in the bottom of my sump. Is this normal? I did a 100% sump water change a week or so ago. I think its there because I've been removing a lot of algae but a lot of it also goes to the sump that I don't catch and remove I guess.
1654039101230.png
1654039117294.png

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't hurt anything. I have lots of waste in my sump and only clean it maybe once a year.
Good job. You know you will have to do this often, but will be easier now that is in better shape.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't hurt anything. I have lots of waste in my sump and only clean it maybe once a year.
Good job. You know you will have to do this often, but will be easier now that is in better shape.
alright thanks. However if I somehow manage to stir up the water in the sump on accident and it gets super cloudy, I assume I need to do a water change right? Sometimes that happens

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright thanks. However if I somehow manage to stir up the water in the sump on accident and it gets super cloudy, I assume I need to do a water change right? Sometimes that happens
No I don't think it is necessary, when I move things around in my sump the crud does go into the display tank but will get filtered out.

Why don't you get a polishing filter to run occasionally to really clean the water. I use one in both of my tanks, 75g reef and 75g fresh water cichlids. It is an internal filter and only put it in when water needs polishing, so not run 24/7.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run a sock or filter floss or pad to gather the junk when doing a cleaning like that. Next time you do a water change, you can suck the sump detritus out if you want. I usually clean my sumps 1-2 times per year. Not that often.

It looks a ton better. Nice job!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably not detritus just sand dust from your extensive cleaning in the DT. It won't hurt anything. I turkey blast mine every week or so then the skimmer or sock catch some or it gets cycled back to the tank.

Edit actually as I look at the pic it's more like residual algae dust but looks like it would clean up easily with a fish net too.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine the brand matters, but who knows. I used ReefHD Reef Flux. It worked great. I manually removed all I could first, as per the directions. I added an extra pill (it comes in pill form) just to be safe. I thought this was safe because the directions say you can double the dose for faster results. Nothing bad happened. My nutrients increased a bit. Briopsis went away after a few weeks.

Ironically, the day after I posted on this thread, I noticed the Bryopsis is back. So I’m going to do another treatment. But I was bryopsis free for three months. Not sure if I got more as a hitchhiker, or if the deepest roots survived…. I’m not worried, I’m confident I can repeat my results. I’ll let you know.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back