In memory of Jake: Post your favorite Jake Adams videos, photos, articles...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
October 20, 2022 will go down as a day that absolutely shook the reef community with the passing of Jake Adams. Jake was an amazing person who has made a tremendous impact on our community, and this weekend has shown that with the outpouring of love and grief in every corner of the reefing world. Today, I think it would be appropriate for us to start a "memorial wall" (thread) here on Reef2Reef where we can post our favorite videos, photos, articles, and other memories of Jake as a way to honor him and his legacy.

So please feel free to post here and share your favorite videos of Jake, any photos you have with him, any articles he wrote that you benefited from. feel free to add any commentary you'd like to explain why those were significant for you or to leave no comment at all (whatever is most appropriate for you). Together, let's use this space to honor the memory and legacy of one who embodied the best of the reef hobby, Jake Adams.

jake adams.jpeg

UPDATE: There is also a GoFundMe to honor Jake and support his family: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...nor-jakes-legacy-wife-and-unborn-baby.944025/

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
October 21, 2022 will go down as a day that absolutely shook the reef community with the passing of Jake Adams. Jake was an amazing person who has made a tremendous impact on our community, and this weekend has shown that with the outpouring of love and grief in every corner of the reefing world. Today, I think it would be appropriate for us to start a "memorial wall" (thread) here on Reef2Reef where we can post our favorite videos, photos, articles, and other memories of Jake as a way to honor him and his legacy.

So please feel free to post here and share your favorite videos of Jake, any photos you have with him, any articles he wrote that you benefited from. feel free to add any commentary you'd like to explain why those were significant for you or to leave no comment at all (whatever is most appropriate for you). Together, let's use this space to honor the memory and legacy of one who embodied the best of the reef hobby, Jake Adams.

jake adams.jpeg
I did not particularly follow him (or anyone else) - That said the outpouring proves that he was a star. I hope his family especially is doing as well as possible - and blessings to them. I also think R2R might consider a fund to be given to a cause (whichever one they prefer - a memorial of sorts) - to which I would donate

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the conversational demeanor he used in his videos— knowledgeable, inquisitive, humble, quick to share ideas, techniques and experiences— just such a perfect blend of delivery. He taught so many of us, and without any detectable ‘agenda’. A wonderful legacy for sure.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll post his final video with Reef Builders here:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
October 21, 2022 will go down as a day that absolutely shook the reef community with the passing of Jake Adams. Jake was an amazing person who has made a tremendous impact on our community, and this weekend has shown that with the outpouring of love and grief in every corner of the reefing world. Today, I think it would be appropriate for us to start a "memorial wall" (thread) here on Reef2Reef where we can post our favorite videos, photos, articles, and other memories of Jake as a way to honor him and his legacy.

jake adams.jpeg
I enjoyed every article he provided as they were both informing and a learning experience

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Victor, founder of World Wide Corals, recently said the first secret to a successful reef tank is listening to only one source of information.
When I first started researching return pump turnover, I ran into this poll on R2R. Not helpful to decide what turnover rate my tank needs.
Then I heard what Jake Adams had to say about return pump turnover:
"that's about a 3x turnover [...] there's a lot of people who are really like stuck on having like crazy turnover through the aquarium i don't i don't play that game my maximum has always been 4x per hour because 4x per hour is 100 times per day and no one can convince me unless you have like really really dirty fish that you're going to get much more filtration from your sump your skimmer or your filter socks running at 200 times per turnover per day versus 100 times turnover per day" (source)
He was my single go-to source of information on how to run a reef tank.

I live in Italy, so it'd have been difficult for me to meet him in real life. I just really wish I could have shaken hands with him at least once.
I don't think that without Jake Adam's videos, I'd have had the inspiration or knowledge to set up a reef tank.
Nobody else has spread reefing knowledge, specifically about gear and how to use it, in a way that was as accessible as his. I picked both the skimmers I own based on his reviews (Aquavitro, and Ultra Reef).
I also dare say few people have spread reefing knowledge as far as Jake Adams has with Reef Builders. Here is an article from Italian reefing magazine DaniReef about his untimely death. DaniReef often reported and translated news articles from reef builders. The editor of DaniReef describes Jake Adams as someone "of enourmous greatness".

My first 15G had sand. I liked the look of sand, I hated just how much complexity it added to keeping the tank clean, but especially I hated the very idea of having a nutrient sink at the bottom of my tank. I eventually decided my second tank would be barebottom because of something Jake Adams said:
"I cringe when people say that they can't put their powerhead somewhere or they can't turn it up because of their sand. We're not here to keep pet sand beds, are we?" (source)
The strong wording of his opinions was maybe what made them controversial to some.
To me, it was the opposite. I realised I didn't need a dozen good reasons not to have a sandbed, just because sand looks pretty.

If other people are interested, it would be good to make a Jake Adams' reefing style guide just by gathering quotes on different topics from his YouTube videos.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely loved his tank tours, whenever I felt tired of reefing I would go watch one of his videos and they would motivate me back. he was the main reason why I got into the hobby in the first place. I also always wished if he would come to Dubai a second time hoping to meet him, but that will unfortunately never happen.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am power watching his Reef Therapy videos, did not know much about him until now.

As a kid he would frequent a Lfs that I patronize in Columbia, SC. The staff there has many stories of the ways he helped them think outside the box, even as a youth.

Small world, RIP brother.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2014 I was setting up a 250g mixed reef. This would be my 4th reef upgrade. I met Jake a few times in 2005-2007 at Denver reef shops and frag swaps never knowing he would become the face of Reef Builders! I started in 2001 with a 29g then upgraded to a 75g in 2004, then a 125g in 2007. I moved from CO to PA in 2011 which leads to the 2014 250g build. I did a Google search for coral acclimation and found a video with Jake. I was like what the heck and lol! This was the first video of Jake I ever saw and will never forget. Reef in peace Jake.

Last edited:

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been subscribed on youtube for a while and have always loved his videos, but recently started listening to Reef Therapy since hearing of his passing and it's really opened my eyes to have over complicated I've made my tank. The most recent video that Daniel already posted really got my wheels turning.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was nobody better on Youtube for reefing than Jake. I know of no other Youtubers that have anywhere near the qualifications he had. Most Youtubers and coral farmers were once hobbyists turned into "experts" but this guy was a marine biologist who dove all over the world. I learned more from listening to him and Mark on Reef Therapy than anywhere else. Their reefing conversations were next level. This is a horrible loss for the hobby.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to chose one but his closed loop plumbing video was why I ordered my dream tank with them. All his coral snorkeling vids were inspiring. His passion for all aspects of coral keeping was infectious. Hands down the best informational, unbiased advice available. His content insures he’ll continue to be a role model posthumously for any reefer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back