In memory of Jake: Post your favorite Jake Adams videos, photos, articles...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake and I had been friends for many years - We became close when he was in Cali using Unique Corals as his "Pre-Studio Project".

One of my most memorable evenings with Jake was before the San Diego MACNA. I hosted a birthday party for Jake at my house with some of our reef friends that were visiting from all over the world. Around 9pm Vincent Chalais walked past my display tank and saw a pair of Golden Angels Spawning. Vincent grabbed his camera equipment to film the spawning of the Golden Angels. This led to a long drawn out fish and coral conversation with Vincent, Jake and I till the sun came up... This also led to several days of Jake camped out on my couch.

When Jake was starting the studio I had sent him a box of corals from my collection. He had written a Reef builders article, without telling me, about my Leng Sy Montipora colony - So I sent him that amoung others. One of the pieces of coral I sent him was a piece of purple Milka Stylophora. Jake loved this coral. He loved not only the simplicity of the coral but the great story behind it.

The purple Milka had been collected by _____________ (insert someone famous in the industry here) from the Red Sea back in _____________ (insert year sometime before 2000). It was sent to _________________ (insert name of famous Eurpean Reefer here) in Italy who had grown the colony for years at the _____________ (name of famous public aquarium in Italy) before __________________(Insert another famous reefer here) who saw the coral and brought a piece back to the United States in ____________ (Insert specific year here). Once the coral made it into the United States Jake seemed to have knowledge of where each of the first 50-100 frags of that coral went around the country and was grown out and farmed till it became a bread and butter staple in the hobby today.

Now this story only appears as a Mad Lib because I have memory issues. But Jake knew all the people, names, dates, travel schedules, tanks that was the true "lineage" of the Purple Milka Stylo. That was Jake - Jake knew the lineage of corals when there were only a few truly named corals that had lineage going back decades.

After I was diagnosed with a degenerative brain issue, which is part of my memory issues. Every couple of phone conversations we had after that diagnoses Jake would retell the lineage of the Purple Milka Stylo story to me hoping to keep the story alive and well. I had been farming and giving away the Milka Stylo for years and Jake was hoping everyone would know the story behind this bright purple coral.

The week before Jake left for Bali I had called Jake and asked him to return the favor of me sending him corals for the studio to help me stock my new 750g tank. Jake emphatically said, "No Way am I sending you corals!" He said he hated dealing with frags. Instead why don't I fly out and visit and he would be happy to fill some boxes for me carry home on the plane. We were making plans to hopefully see each other before the holidays hit.

The news last week was devestating. Such a wealth of knowledge lost. His potential to provide new knowledge and information to the hobby is a loss we will never fully recognize.

Dave B

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake and I had been friends for many years - We became close when he was in Cali using Unique Corals as his "Pre-Studio Project".

One of my most memorable evenings with Jake was before the San Diego MACNA. I hosted a birthday party for Jake at my house with some of our reef friends that were visiting from all over the world. Around 9pm Vincent Chalais walked past my display tank and saw a pair of Golden Angels Spawning. Vincent grabbed his camera equipment to film the spawning of the Golden Angels. This led to a long drawn out fish and coral conversation with Vincent, Jake and I till the sun came up... This also led to several days of Jake camped out on my couch.

When Jake was starting the studio I had sent him a box of corals from my collection. He had written a Reef builders article, without telling me, about my Leng Sy Montipora colony - So I sent him that amoung others. One of the pieces of coral I sent him was a piece of purple Milka Stylophora. Jake loved this coral. He loved not only the simplicity of the coral but the great story behind it.

The purple Milka had been collected by _____________ (insert someone famous in the industry here) from the Red Sea back in _____________ (insert year sometime before 2000). It was sent to _________________ (insert name of famous Eurpean Reefer here) in Italy who had grown the colony for years at the _____________ (name of famous public aquarium in Italy) before __________________(Insert another famous reefer here) who saw the coral and brought a piece back to the United States in ____________ (Insert specific year here). Once the coral made it into the United States Jake seemed to have knowledge of where each of the first 50-100 frags of that coral went around the country and was grown out and farmed till it became a bread and butter staple in the hobby today.

Now this story only appears as a Mad Lib because I have memory issues. But Jake knew all the people, names, dates, travel schedules, tanks that was the true "lineage" of the Purple Milka Stylo. That was Jake - Jake knew the lineage of corals when there were only a few truly named corals that had lineage going back decades.

After I was diagnosed with a degenerative brain issue, which is part of my memory issues. Every couple of phone conversations we had after that diagnoses Jake would retell the lineage of the Purple Milka Stylo story to me hoping to keep the story alive and well. I had been farming and giving away the Milka Stylo for years and Jake was hoping everyone would know the story behind this bright purple coral.

The week before Jake left for Bali I had called Jake and asked him to return the favor of me sending him corals for the studio to help me stock my new 750g tank. Jake emphatically said, "No Way am I sending you corals!" He said he hated dealing with frags. Instead why don't I fly out and visit and he would be happy to fill some boxes for me carry home on the plane. We were making plans to hopefully see each other before the holidays hit.

The news last week was devestating. Such a wealth of knowledge lost. His potential to provide new knowledge and information to the hobby is a loss we will never fully recognize.

Dave B
wonderful story and luckily he wrote it down so the blanks can be filled in

Colinpologordon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the video that got me hooked was a tank review on an Australian guys Japanese style aquarium.. From that video on I have watched every video on the Channel And I will so miss them RiP Jake

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October 20, 2022 will go down as a day that absolutely shook the reef community with the passing of Jake Adams. Jake was an amazing person who has made a tremendous impact on our community, and this weekend has shown that with the outpouring of love and grief in every corner of the reefing world. Today, I think it would be appropriate for us to start a "memorial wall" (thread) here on Reef2Reef where we can post our favorite videos, photos, articles, and other memories of Jake as a way to honor him and his legacy.

So please feel free to post here and share your favorite videos of Jake, any photos you have with him, any articles he wrote that you benefited from. feel free to add any commentary you'd like to explain why those were significant for you or to leave no comment at all (whatever is most appropriate for you). Together, let's use this space to honor the memory and legacy of one who embodied the best of the reef hobby, Jake Adams.

jake adams.jpeg

UPDATE: There is also a GoFundMe to honor Jake and support his family: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...nor-jakes-legacy-wife-and-unborn-baby.944025/
Because of Jake reviewing the Nero wave maker I have 3 of them and his review of the Aquavitro skimmer l’m getting thanks Jake RIP

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are two videos that I love and watch, why it’s even my profile pic. We will miss u Jake, thank you for letting us see these beautiful and amazing tanks!

Last edited:

Matthew Halford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a young Airman stationed in Germany, I was going through a tough time in life. I came across Jake’s videos and found peace while watching. I watched those videos for years until I was finally stationed back in the states and able to save up a few bucks for my first reef.

Thank you Jake for the inspiration! You will be sorely missed!

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought about just a couple of hours ago.

With his personable way of engaging people, Jake Adams mixed his immense knowledge with his "no BS" attitude and "no frills" reefing style, to teach newcomers the basics, and experts something new.

I believe he was really shaping the hobby - in a very positive way too, with his "no BS" attitude to taxonomy, husbandry, gear choice, and gear setting.

He's really leaving a huge tremendous void in this respect.

Certainly, of all the Reefing Youtubers I follow, Jake was the most personable. When you watched him, he spoke to you like you were actually there in front of him, talking to him. He made people feel like they knew him personally without ever speaking to them.

I don't know many other YouTube channels could have been compared to Reef Builders in terms of scope (gear reviews, taxonomy, reefing style), and numbers of viewers. Of the reefing Youtube channels I follow, only BRStv has more viewers.

With the combination of his personality and his knowledge, he would have made a bigger impact on the hobby than he already has.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2014 I was setting up a 250g mixed reef. This would be my 4th reef upgrade. I met Jake a few times in 2005-2007 at Denver reef shops and frag swaps never knowing he would become the face of Reef Builders! I started in 2001 with a 29g then upgraded to a 75g in 2004, then a 125g in 2007. I moved from CO to PA in 2011 which leads to the 2014 250g build. I did a Google search for coral acclimation and found a video with Jake. I was like what the heck and lol! This was the first video of Jake I ever saw and will never forget. Reef in peace Jake.

This was my first video to get me hooked.

GarryA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am power watching his Reef Therapy videos, did not know much about him until now.

As a kid he would frequent a Lfs that I patronize in Columbia, SC. The staff there has many stories of the ways he helped them think outside the box, even as a youth.

Small world, RIP brother.
Dang, I wondered if Jake was the person I had met through CMAC.
I only knew him briefly but he was knowledgeable and helpful.
That was back around 2003-2004.
Sorry to hear of his passing.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His 1 day Nano Tank Series finally convinced me to start a Saltwater Tank. Loved all his videos, but that complete series is what made feel like Reefing wasn't that hard.

DaMenace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always admired Jake. Every video that he put out made me excited to watch. Think about your favorite show and how you felt when a new episode was released on TV or a new season was announced, that is how I've always felt. Think about the sadness of when the show ended and how sad you felt that it is, well multiply that by 1,000!! That is how I feel today. I had one interaction with him. Nothing major but definitely was someone I looked up to. His passion definitely resonates. Like all of us strangers, I felt like I knew him. I agreed with most, not all, but most of his comments. Especially the whole thing with fancy names driving the price and how strongly he felt about how that was not right. I feel like I've lost a close friend. What's even sadder is knowing that his wife is pregnant and I can't imagine how she feels but my wife can as her first son was from a father who passed away without getting to know his son. He is definitely in good hands and I love him as my own. At least he left someone with his DNA behind. Anyways... I'd say that the best day of my life was when he commented on one of my YT videos and then featured it on Reef Builders. I was so excited. Loved reading all of his articles but this one was and is special. Even more so now. He didn't say anything about it but STILL! Here's that article of his. My deepest condolences to his family, his wife and his unborn "little frag".

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow reef builders on YouTube for a couple of years and I can say this is one of my favorite channels. I found tons of knowledge and good vibes in general.

Can't forget how I learned dipping corals for the first time thanks to this video

love this trip video
Watches it few times..

This tank update he uploaded 3 weeks ago..

Rknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my wife and I decided to get back into reefing Jake was the go-to. Between BRS, Marineland and Jake videos it was easy to get answers to anything. Jake's passion for the hobby easily made it through every video. I know I will miss his guidance and his vision. Sad day indeed. Prayers for his wife.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back