Increasing temperature to beat Amphidinium Dino

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes large cell. I'm clear of it now but it took 3 months to clear. Raised nutrients, uv (this probably did nothing but should help prevent it returning), white lights off, microbacter7 daily dosing, no water changes and no coral feeding. Thats what worked for me. The raised nutrients in my opinion is key. I monitored it daily to keep po4 above 0.1 and no3 above 10ppm. If you do this, I'm sure after a few months you will be clear of it.
Yeah doesn’t seem to be doing much for me I’ve had phos over 0.1 for months and it’s only getting worse. I’m doing the dr tims treatment (refresh/waste away) now plus another blackout and raise temp to 82-83. I am about to switch lights back on there’s nothing visible at the moment as expected but hoping I can atleast just knock it back enough to hopefully not have it bloom again. I don’t mind it hanging around in small portions just not covering all the sand lol

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah doesn’t seem to be doing much for me I’ve had phos over 0.1 for months and it’s only getting worse. I’m doing the dr tims treatment (refresh/waste away) now plus another blackout and raise temp to 82-83. I am about to switch lights back on there’s nothing visible at the moment as expected but hoping I can atleast just knock it back enough to hopefully not have it bloom again. I don’t mind it hanging around in small portions just not covering all the sand lol
It is a real b***ard! How old is your tank? How often are you dosing the bacteria product? I dont think blackouts are necessary in my opinion. It will always come back if the biodiversity and maturity isn't there enough to keep it at bay. White lights off I think are enough to stall it and just stick with the blues. At least then you can still enjoy the tank. I saw good results with microbacter7. I dosed daily and I started to see the improvement speed up when I started dosing it. Good luck and stick at it :)

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned only phosphate...are you keeping nitrate elevated also? This is equally as important

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a real b***ard! How old is your tank? How often are you dosing the bacteria product? I dont think blackouts are necessary in my opinion. It will always come back if the biodiversity and maturity isn't there enough to keep it at bay. White lights off I think are enough to stall it and just stick with the blues. At least then you can still enjoy the tank. I saw good results with microbacter7. I dosed daily and I started to see the improvement speed up when I started dosing it. Good luck and stick at it :)

You mentioned only phosphate...are you keeping nitrate elevated also? This is equally as important
Tank is almost a year old. I only started dosing refresh a few days ago and dosed daily. I might try microbacter7 if this treatment doesn’t work for me. Blackouts have been a bandaid but yeah I think I’ll stick to heavy blues for a bit lol.....

yeah nitrates are sitting around 10-15 pretty constantly

here’s the tank with all the algae / fino issues haha

13AF5835-1F41-45EE-9613-DB4B2947102A.jpeg

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is almost a year old. I only started dosing refresh a few days ago and dosed daily. I might try microbacter7 if this treatment doesn’t work for me. Blackouts have been a bandaid but yeah I think I’ll stick to heavy blues for a bit lol.....

yeah nitrates are sitting around 10-15 pretty constantly

here’s the tank with all the algae / fino issues haha

13AF5835-1F41-45EE-9613-DB4B2947102A.jpeg
About the same age as mine! Both tanks still have a lot of maturing to do. Your tank looks epic! I'd say keep doing what you are doing and it will go eventually. Here is how bad mine was . It was over every single surface!
20201129_125435.jpg

And here is the last pic I took after 2 months of fighting the dino with the above method
20201228_194344.jpg

After 1 more month I had no more signs of it.
Since then I've changed out my sand as I was sick of sand storms but its yet to come back.
20210206_213850.jpg

Hopefully its gone for good. I sure as hell won't let my nutrients hit 0 again.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for that - I have ordered some more phytoplankton and copepods to increase diversity plus still dosing waste away since finishing the refresh treatment. My tanks temp is up to 80 and will still go to 82 over the next couple of days. So far I can’t see any on the sand after the blackout but it’s only a matter of time.... I’ll order some microbacter 7 as well to dose that

tank as of today

24747033-6B16-4010-BF61-3DC4FF38ECC0.jpeg

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with a tiger conch that I purchased thinking I had diatoms. But after doing the water filter test, the snot regrouped in the center of the water and floated to the top, I have dinos.

But I had dropped in the tiger conch and he started eating all the dinos on the sand. Literally one side of my tank was all white and then where the conch stopped working, he was full for the night, there was a whole road of dinos to ge eaten the next day.

I bought also 15 cerith snails and they also were on the sandbed eating what they could munch on before it was gone from the conch.

Here is a small video I filmed of the conch in action.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back