Infection from fragging mushrooms

pixelhustler

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
213
Reaction score
154
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently fragged 2 Rhodactis and 3 maxi mini carpet anemones all with the same outcome.

Either one half caught an infection or both halves did. It averaged out at around 50% success rate. The worst part is the infection from my carpets spread out to 2 RFAs which also melted.

I fragged everything over 3 days, clean cut through the middle with a fresh razor blade. Then I did a short iodine dip.

I’m very confused because lots of people successfully frag this way. Am I doing something wrong? And is the rubberband technique less prone to infection?
 
Presumably you used surgical procedures for the operation, so did they all go back into the same recovery tank?
Was the recovery tank ~sterile too?
 
Presumably you used surgical procedures for the operation, so did they all go back into the same recovery tank?
Was the recovery tank ~sterile too?
Didn’t even think about a sterile tank to be honest, it went back into my display. Confusing because I can’t find a lot about people in my situation, most seem to have no issue. I won’t be fragging for a while given the results.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new