InkBird, Apex or Seneye

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digital aquatics ReefKeeper. I own an APEX but RK is by far the easiest to set up and monitor and reliable

This ^^^ Is best bang for the buck imo, especially if you can get it on sale. It's very simple and works to monitor/control temp. It also allows you to start to implement some simple controller functions like turning lights on/off. I still have mine on my quarantine tank and never have to touch it. I use GHL full system on my main tank, but the ReefKeeper takes care of the basics on my qt.

If you think you will want full aquarium controller features then imo it's best to just invest in the new apex or GHL P4.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only if I am home. If not, then no internet and no access to the Apex.
Maybe you should read up on the apex some more. The apex will react to a situation with no intervention on your part, and it doesn’t need an internet connection to do so

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been reading about temp/tank controllers and i'm in the process of setting up a 30L tank. one thing that isnt clear from the reviews i've read on the ink bird is, will the inkbird actually shut off power to a heater if it goes above a set temp or only set an alarm off? i know the reefkeeper will kill the power.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been reading about temp/tank controllers and i'm in the process of setting up a 30L tank. one thing that isnt clear from the reviews i've read on the ink bird is, will the inkbird actually shut off power to a heater if it goes above a set temp or only set an alarm off? i know the reefkeeper will kill the power.

I have the inkbird on my tank I just set up. I wanted some heat controller at least while I don't have the funds for an Apex at the moment. It will kill power to the heater when it hits your set temp. The problem I have with it is the smallest deadband it has is 1 degree. So I have it set to 79. It will kill the heaters at 79, but it will get down to 78 before it turns them back on. Sometimes by the time they heat up I notice my tank hits 77.8. I wish I could set a 0.5 degree deadband.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the inkbird on my tank I just set up. I wanted some heat controller at least while I don't have the funds for an Apex at the moment. It will kill power to the heater when it hits your set temp. The problem I have with it is the smallest deadband it has is 1 degree. So I have it set to 79. It will kill the heaters at 79, but it will get down to 78 before it turns them back on. Sometimes by the time they heat up I notice my tank hits 77.8. I wish I could set a 0.5 degree deadband.
I was also wondering this. Thanks for your answer. It would be nice im this was able to be set to a smaller amount.

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should read up on the apex some more. The apex will react to a situation with no intervention on your part, and it doesn’t need an internet connection to do so

I feel I am decent at the Apex programming and have read a lot about it. I can add more relays and such to have the heater off the non UPS power but the separate controller is what I chose. Please elaborate on the power loss situation and intervention you mentioned.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex is able to detect a mains power loss and can adjust accordingly. What is it you’re trying to do that you don’t think the apex will do for you? It’s possible to have two heaters with on plugged into mains, set at 76* or so, with the other controlled by the apex. Not entirely sure what the end game is but I’m happy to throw some ideas out there :)

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the Apex detect power supply loss? I'm guessing you tie in a dry contact from the UPS system the Apex is plugged into. Then when contact changes state the heater outlet would be programmed to turn off. the UPS i am using does not have this function.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need to buy a 12v adapter that plugs into the apex brain, and then plug that into a wall outlet with no UPS. Then, in fusion, enable power monitoring. Once the apex notices the 12v signal disappear, you can turn things on or off using the ‘if power’ statement.

Personally, I create a ‘PowerOut’ virtual outlet and put this in it:
Set OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON

Then in any of the outlets I want off during a power outage I put:
if output PowerOut = On then Off

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Isn't an 'eggs in one basket' scenario....all your equipment plugged into the same device...just waiting for a disaster to happen if the controller fails? Doesn't it make more sense to at least separate some devices to their own controller to avoid this ?
DISCLAIMER: I have none of this equipment yet and I'm just asking.
Thanks.

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you need to buy a 12v adapter that plugs into the apex brain, and then plug that into a wall outlet with no UPS. Then, in fusion, enable power monitoring. Once the apex notices the 12v signal disappear, you can turn things on or off using the ‘if power’ statement.

Personally, I create a ‘PowerOut’ virtual outlet and put this in it:
Set OFF
If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON

Then in any of the outlets I want off during a power outage I put:
if output PowerOut = On then Off

AWESOME!!! very good info. I'll add this to my Apex. Thanks!

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME!!! very good info. I'll add this to my Apex. Thanks!
Sure thing. In addition to the above info, I have multiple energy bars. I have my EB832 connected to a UPS. My other EB’s are connected directly to mains without a UPS. The Apex, being connected to everything via aquabus, will receive power from the aquabus via the EB832, so the UPS will keep the apex online during an outage, and the 12v going off will allow the apex to know power went away, where you can shut off heaters, slow down pumps, shut off pumps, whatever.

It’s very important to enable power monitoring in fusion.

You can also plug everything into the UPS and shut off whatever you want, but up to you.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Isn't an 'eggs in one basket' scenario....all your equipment plugged into the same device...just waiting for a disaster to happen if the controller fails? Doesn't it make more sense to at least separate some devices to their own controller to avoid this ?
DISCLAIMER: I have none of this equipment yet and I'm just asking.
Thanks.
Isn’t this true for anything? It all will fail at some point. The way I look at it is I’d rather have one control system and use redundancies after that. One can make things as redundant as they want, at the cost of complexity, and it’s all going to fail eventually anyway.

For me, personally, it’s about monitoring more than control, but the control is very nice to have.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

. I am looking for a cheap option.....being able to respond in changes with the tank even remotely is a huge bonus.....

A sponsor here, Aquamutant, is a 4 outlet strip with a temp probe. It can turn the outlets off\on remotely. Also an app timer to turn a light off and on. Can the inkbird wifi model turn the 110v outlet plugs off and on remotely via the app? Thanks

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a dog in this fight and have an apex in my cart at BRS hoping to be that lucky preferred reefer. However, catastrophic controller failure can and do happen... and recently.

The diff in my mind is that I could "responsibly" leave my tank for a week with a well programmed Apex and the appropriate equipment defaulted to on for a week and reasonably expect to come home to a live tank.
If I tried that now, it may well be fine, but if something catastrophically failed, it would be on me for "hoping for the best."

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back