Inkbird ITC-308S

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an Inkbird as a temp controller without issue on 2 tanks for a year. I have had temp issues recently, it was reading the water as too hot. I opened the hood and put a fan on and that did the job. However, I noticed my tank inhabitants looking unhappy. My mushrooms detached and began moving around, and one of my frogspawn blew a head. I checked the temp with another thermometer and it read 70F ! I checked it with 4 other thermometers All said the same! I adjusted the calibration and the tank is warming up slowly. Has anyone had this issue before? Any way to avoid it?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the Inkbird specifically, but this is a concern that is relatively underappreciated in modern aquarium-keeping. Many aquarists just assume that the controller is correct, whether it's an Inkbird, Apex or Reef Keeper. Temperature probes can drift over time just as any other measurement probe can. Unfortunately, redundant thermometers and calibration of temperature probes just doesn't seem to be on too many peoples' radar.

Double-checking your temperature with another measurement device should be a part of routine maintenance. For a few dollars you can get one of those cheap digital LCD thermometers and put it in your sump. Even if they aren't very accurate, the cheap LCDs at least appear to be reasonably precise (in my experience) and will at least let you know when something is off by showing a different number than usual.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had another thermometer on it but pulled it for another use and never replaced it. I just placed to much faith in the controller. I was more concerned with the internal thermostat in the heater going, never really considered the controller getting out of calibration. I'm just glad I caught it before the whole tank crashed. I lost 2 heads on my frogspawn. I'm hoping they recover and I don't lose them all.

JW3500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me. Temp was reading high at 80f and fans were switched on to cool , but it was actually 74f. Ordered a replacement probe, same thing 6 months later. I use two cheap thermometers and they match.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back