Instant Reefing Satisfaction

Are you currently satisfied with your aquarium?

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 124 24.9%
  • Somewhat Satisfied

Votes: 300 60.4%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 54 10.9%
  • Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 19 3.8%

• Total voters

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing something I have never done before. No water changes.
Every time something looks poorly I freak out.
No way to get new magic in the tank.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m wondering.....do you feed at the same time everyday? I seem to get coral response at different times. How does one get the corals to elicit response all at one time.
Thanks.. I would b even more satisfied if I could figure this out!
Usually, yes. But if you are feeding the right foods you should always be getting a feeding response from happy/healthy corals imo

Sal Amadeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been at this two years, have a180 tank, corals always dying, just had an algae bloom killed 7 more corals, very disappointing and expensive. Considering going with ozone to clear the water and keep parameters stable

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. When vibrant finally got mt turf algae, I got dinos from it.

Vibrant was a failure in my tank. I’m on week 10 and the turf algae laughs at the stuff! Destroyed my chaeto, nitrate is out of whack, Sps are all dead, lps are dying or dead, cuc are biting the bullet one by one. I’m going to end up tearing down the tank if fluconazole and massive water change doesn’t work. But on a positive note, I have a tank full of quarantined, disease free fish!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get instantly satisfied when new equipment worked the way I needed it to straight out the box.

Needed better flow. Got a Gyre pump. Mounted it, plugged it in and BAM☆!☆! Just what I expected and exactly what I needed. Instant gratification!
Needed a new upgraded return pump. Got the Jecod DCP 15000 and BAM☆!☆! More than I was expecting and exactly what I needed. instant gratification!

I can't wait to get started on my 180 gallon build. I am curious how many "BAM☆!☆! Just what I expected and exactly what I needed. Instant gratification" moments I will have.

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat unsatisfied... the challenge of the mixed pico reef was great, after two years is fully packed, thriving and pretty much mature and stable... the things i do for it are the same each week and no problems whatsoever, no surprises or nasties...no more room for coral or fish... the achievement i like and enjoy, but i´m kind of bored with it...

at the same time i´ve the home tank just waiting for me to start it, two years of collecting and upgrading equipment, design, plumbing, the works.... but i´ve not made time to just start it.... same thing with my frag tank at the office, already complete, just need to make an electrical panel and fill the tank but it´s been standing there for 3 months now....

I´m excited but kind of burn out at the last stage of both tanks, meawhile i´m loosing zoa mats due to one type overwhelming others in the pico reef and my sps sticks have awesome coloration and polyp extension but not growth due to the lack of space....:rolleyes:

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an imperfect perfectionist and have an impulsive streak. I'm forever adding or changing, but taking a big breather between each to ascertain results. If there's one thing that quelled my impulsive streak, it's this hobby - it taught me patience in an enormous way. One must learn to wait, observe and test after every change made, and, most importantly, before making any other changes. I've teetered between somewhat satisfied to extremely satisfied, so I checked the somewhat box.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the poll
ARE YOU CURRENTLY SATISFIED WITH YOUR AQUARIUM?
and the highest score rating of
Very Satisfied

I don't believe there is actually anyone who is honestly very satisfied.
Anyone truly satisfied would never change a single thing about their system.
They wouldn't be changing lights, for that extra mm of growth.
They wouldn't be changing the salt they use, to get that specific alkalinity level.
They wouldn't be buying a new skimmer, or changing food brand/type, or trace element brand, or adding a roller filter
etc, etc, etc, it goes on and on.

Satisfaction to the 'very' level, is unobtainable.

SamAPFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly happy with my tank. I’m battling bubble and a little green hair algae with zero phosphates so that’s a pain. All of my corals are still frags so it doesn’t look great yet. My favorite part is watching my corals eat after spending so much time on them!

Reeferbob420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not satisfied. My sps frags keep rtn/stn even though my parameters are nice and stable

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m wondering.....do you feed at the same time everyday? I seem to get coral response at different times. How does one get the corals to elicit response all at one time.
Thanks.. I would b even more satisfied if I could figure this out!
Mine love live phytoplankton and rodifers they all get nice and fat and fluffy

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhat satisfied. My tank is p P.O. terry happy, could use some more live rock, looking into more macroalgae, want another anemone shrimp, and of course more soft corals! I’m just so grateful that my tank actually grows coral now unlike a year ago when Xenia was struggling. Whew I’m glad I know more now!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability keeps me satisfied. Tanks 7 months old no water changes and everthing is growing.
20200118_114137.jpg

Ken Ooi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in reefing there are many things that can give us satisfaction like finding that your bounce mushroom has produced a baby, or your clown fish started laying eggs, or your acro colonies are coloring up nicely etc. There are things that give you satisfaction gradually and instantly. So let's talk about the instant satisfaction stuff!

Most of the time it's probably simple things that are satisfying as is the case for me. There are a slew of things but I'll name just a couple and then let you take over. Now you may think I'm weird but last night I was so satisfied with something that had to do with HAIR ALGAE! How can that be satisfying? Well I've been battling it for a few months and it looks like I'm starting to win. For the past few weeks I'll get in the tank and have a "hair algae pulling session" and last night it brought me so much satisfaction to just grab a hunk of that green devil's hair and pluck it right from the tank to see clean spots on the rock! Yes I'm weird! ;)

Also I get instant satisfaction when I walk into the room to see the tank for the first time in a while and the glass not be covered by algae. Hmmm I'm noticing a trend here with me! HA! So what about you?

What gives you INSTANT satisfaction when it comes to your tank?

satisfied reef.jpg

sometimes getting rid of a persistent problem is satisfying. I got rid of Blackbeard algae which got introduced due to the LFS being contaminated with it. My strategy was to soak all the plants affected in a solution to kill the algae. Used to treat the whole tank by treating it with chemicals but didn’t work it killed some fish. Then drastically decided to take all the plants and pots out and placed in buckets with the algae killing solution for a week. All cleared finally.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not satisfied in the least. A glass box full of air is not rewarding at all.

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Incredibly happy with mine. Although some coral are incredibly slow to grow, I am happy. Healthy fish, stable parameters. Currently battling a small outbreak of cyano but ill take that ANY day over ich..lol.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 9.35.12 AM.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back