Interesting inverts

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g aquarium with a radiata lionfish. I’ve been down on my luck with fish lately and it looks like the lion will be alone, at least for a while. The tank is a bit boring with 1 fish, id like to introduce some more inverts to add some interest but finding inverts that are both reef safe and that won’t get eaten by the lionfish is proving difficult.

Besides corals the tank currently has 10 hermits, 6 astrea snails, 6 nassarius snails, and a sand sifting starfish. Does anyone have any ideas? The tank is only a few months old.
These are my two favorites. Decorator crab
1579270561721.png

Giant hermit crab with anemone on shell
1579270669936.png
Some of my other favorites include feather dusters, porcelain crabs and pitho crabs.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my two favorites. Decorator crab
1579270561721.png

Giant hermit crab with anemone on shell
1579270669936.png
Some of my other favorites include feather dusters, porcelain crabs and pitho crabs.

Nice decorator, how big is it?

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His only bad habit is the occasional snail eating and destroying of macroalgae. Mine has a blue sponge on its head that it came with and it survived and made more blue sponges.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His only bad habit is the occasional snail eating and destroying of macroalgae. Mine has a blue sponge on its head that it came with and it survived and made more blue sponges.
How does it do around soft corals?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serpent and brittle star in first pic are awesome. Conch is a very odd creature. And the marine giant hermit crab could work if your tank is tall enough to keep the lion far away from it

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like those stars. I’m definitely going to have to start feeding the cuc more, most of my nassarius snails got eaten by hermits. That big hermit is cool too, I’d imagine it’s a little destructive?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little destructive is an understatement, he's a monster. He spends his days moving my live rocks around and eating my sand dollars

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the serpent and brittle starfish are great for a reef tank and come in lots of cool colors and patterns

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just a warning I'm not sure if someone said this before but the giant hermit will get to be the size of a football and they reach their adult size in about three years. Here are some links with more information.

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Han,

I've got a 32 gal setup for an Angler and I have the same issue, trying to add diversity and action to a dangerous tank. In addition to snails and hermits I have added a Sand Sifting Star, Pink Short Spine Urchin, Conch and Emerald Crab. I'm also actively looking to add a Serpent Star. I also saw mention of Macroalgae, I use Dragons Breath and see my urchin in there regularly. When the Dragons Breath grows, I prune it and add it to my reef for the fish to snack on.

OP
OP
Han

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Han,

I've got a 32 gal setup for an Angler and I have the same issue, trying to add diversity and action to a dangerous tank. In addition to snails and hermits I have added a Sand Sifting Star, Pink Short Spine Urchin, Conch and Emerald Crab. I'm also actively looking to add a Serpent Star. I also saw mention of Macroalgae, I use Dragons Breath and see my urchin in there regularly. When the Dragons Breath grows, I prune it and add it to my reef for the fish to snack on.

I’ve been considering macroalgae, but I’ve never tried it before and I don’t know how it would do in such a low nutrient environment. What are your water parameters like that it grows successfully?

Back