Intermediate Reefer with a Slight Hair Algae Issue

Algae and dinos are the most efficient organisms in your tank. It is probably impossible to starve them out. I recommend some natural competition/predators such as snalis, crabs, or other grazers. One or more previous posts recommended specific kinds of snails and crabs.
 
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF
 
What was your test kit for PO4?

.25 is a number that makes me always suspect the kit. Was it a Hanna ULR Checker? I find it difficult to trust anything else.

Still, if you have hair algae, you have (or had) some nutrient. Don't go knocking it down too fast.

Welcome to R2R!
 
image.jpg

Ive got a 20gal nano that’s been up for about 7 months and I’ve been experiencing a brown hair algae problem. My nitrates are 0 and my phosphate it’s 0.25 so i am currently trying to increase the nitrate to about 5 over two weeks. Any other opinions would be much appreciated!
Welcome to Reef2Reef! This is definitely the forum to join if you need/want answers. There are plenty of friendly and knowledgeable people around these parts!
 
What was your test kit for PO4?

.25 is a number that makes me always suspect the kit. Was it a Hanna ULR Checker? I find it difficult to trust anything else.

Still, if you have hair algae, you have (or had) some nutrient. Don't go knocking it down too fast.

Welcome to R2R!
Hagen Test kit
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
So much great advice already!

Welcome to the R2R community! Happy Reefing! :cool:

Welcome To The Team GIF by memecandy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new