Internal or External Return Pump

Which type of Return pump do you prefer?

• Total voters

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful. Congrats. Looking to do an 84” x 36” x 26” in the future. Would be interested in hearing your opinion on custom aquariums build quality.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size Or multi large tank system like ours. External pump. They Run forever with little to no need for maintenance or repair. I have a Reeflo hammerhead that is many years old. I have a spare set of seals for it that is almost as old as the pump but it has never leaked.

The down side is its HUGE and requires large dia. plumbing or you restrict its capability..
Never skimp on this pump ..

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the Vectra ratings are overrated. With normal 1” plumbing from a below the tank sump, the flow rate is around half the rated flow. This is measured with a Neptune flow meter. I have never tried a Varios so I cannot comment on it. The Neptune Cor20 pump puts out pretty good flow, but still nothing comparable to a reeflo

Not so much overrated as misrepresented. You only get the full rated flow by using input/output native plumbing. For the M1 this means 1 1/2” in and 1 1/4” out. Pump doesn’t like back pressure.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank will be 300 gallons and I am going to have Custom Aquariums build it. the dimension
will be something like L = 96 H = 30 Depth = 30. I am thinking of a synergy ghost overflow so I won't lose any real estate inside the tank itself

I have a Customaquariums 96”x36”x30”(deep). The build quality is excellent. The 30” depth makes reaching the bottom a little tough. The 96x30x30 works out to 352 gallons. Great choice.

I went with the low lead front glass panel, and found it scratches very easily with a Flipper

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I prefer external for return pump as water keeps it cool. Many say they heat water but if you grasp them in sump, they are cool to the touch. If they are warm, likely it is working to death likely under-rated for its' use.3
On My skimmer, I only have EXT units as I prefer external pump for ease of maintenance, reduction of using up space and full access to the skimmer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a Customaquariums 96”x36”x30”(deep). The build quality is excellent. The 30” depth makes reaching the bottom a little tough. The 96x30x30 works out to 352 gallons. Great choice.

I went with the low lead front glass panel, and found it scratches very easily with a Flipper

Please PM their site and cost.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External only, true union ball valves on both sides. Ease of removing pump for service. My last valve was in service from 1990 until June of this year. Couldn’t find o-rings at first, got new on in mean time. Found them a couple months later. Now it’s my backup. Always used Rainbow Lifeguard pumps. Never failed me. Only problem is they always corroded out after about 10 years. Now I use their newer magnetic drive pumps.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

yeah see this is good to know i don't want any glass to scratch easy.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Can you PM me the same I have the site but would be interested in the cost and also if you could do it over what is some of the things you would do differently to make the experience that much better. Thanks.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that as wall thickness increases, the stated gallon size starts to materially exceed the actual gallons. For example, a tank 96x30x30 may well be marketed as a 375, but with 3/4” walls actually only holds about 325 gallons of water (before any displacement). Probably not a big deal unless one is OCD about flow multiples LOL.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just keep in mind that as wall thickness increases, the stated gallon size starts to materially exceed the actual gallons. For example, a tank 96x30x30 may well be marketed as a 375, but with 3/4” walls actually only holds about 325 gallons of water (before any displacement). Probably not a big deal unless one is OCD about flow multiples LOL.

lol. I got rid of OCD when I joined the hobby lol.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the nice things about Custom Aquariums is that they state actual volume of the tank. They also list the volume that would be typically advertised by other manufacturers. It is right on their website.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the nice things about Custom Aquariums is that they state actual volume of the tank. They also list the volume that would be typically advertised by other manufacturers. It is right on their website.

Yes, I had seen that when I was considering them last year for a tank; I really like the way they do that - would be nice if other manufacturers did as well.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back