Internal or External Return Pump

Which type of Return pump do you prefer?

• Total voters

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello R2R,

I am getting ready to build what I think should be my dream tank of 300 gallons. For my 150 gallon I have a Reef Octopus VARIOS-6 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP (1720 GPH).
Found here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-6-controllable-dc-pump-1720-gph-reef-octopus.html

My question is is it better to go internal or External? and Why? I won't be doing anymore builds for quite a while so I am trying to research and get my gear down to a science. Thanks.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several factors in choosing your return pump. What kind of a sump will you have, will be it be in a separate fish room, how many returns are you planning, are you going to use a specific method such as Triton....

Also the Varios will most likely flow 30-40% lower than the stated flow rate once you add the pressure loss of the plumbing and the nozzles. Most DC pumps seem to handle back pressure poorly, with the exception of the Abyz.

I am running a Reeflo Barracuda rated at 4000gph with good pressure capabilities, but once all of the pressure losses are factored in I am only getting 3200gpg.

A good option would be to run two of the Varios pumps.

Here is pic of my layout

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On larger tanks I always go external.
I always have. Probably because back when I first started using a sump, the most used pumps around ( that I saw in my area) were Little Giant and Iwaki pumps.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Iwaki & Blueline pumps are great pumps that last forever. They are however limited on flow rates.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No brainer for me. Ext. pump.
Pros: Doesn't heat water , Last many years longer , can be pressure rated-for better lift plus

Cons: Takes up space outside sump , not cheap , need an ext. valve to reduce flow
The cons are not that bad. Wait until I ask for help plumbing the external if I go external for the 300 lol

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several factors in choosing your return pump. What kind of a sump will you have, will be it be in a separate fish room, how many returns are you planning, are you going to use a specific method such as Triton....

Also the Varios will most likely flow 30-40% lower than the stated flow rate once you add the pressure loss of the plumbing and the nozzles. Most DC pumps seem to handle back pressure poorly, with the exception of the Abyz.

I am running a Reeflo Barracuda rated at 4000gph with good pressure capabilities, but once all of the pressure losses are factored in I am only getting 3200gpg.

A good option would be to run two of the Varios pumps.

Here is pic of my layout
Did I miss the pic?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like dc pump in sump, except for a basement sump would only go external hi pressure rated AC pump.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9305400D-871D-4174-9ACC-C00FCE719DD7.jpeg

kles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like them both but once my dc goes out putting a iwaki back on less heat transfer no power in the tank last so much longer more room in the sump .

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely that you’ll get any kind of consensus LOL. What you choose depends entirely on your system goals and design. For example, if you run a basement sump room an external, pressure rated pump will be necessary. The vast majority of the DC pumps are designed for flow not pressure (makes the energy ‘saving’ claim easier). What kind of turnover do you intend? I’d judge 1,000 net GPH to be sufficient for a 300. If external, that puts you into PanWorld/Iwaki territory. If you want much higher flow, then you’ll have to look at reeflo or dolphin, but then you give up some reliability. If internal, the large vectra, COR20 or varios pumps would be candidates. I also like the fluval seas pumps. Keep in mind that the heat from internal pumps can be a problem in the summer, but helps in the winter.

I’ve always favored external pumps. On my current 450, I run the PanWorld 250 as my main; nets me 1,600 GPH. More than sufficient.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What @ca1ore said - he pretty much nailed it.

In the past I have favored externally run pumps, however this round I'm going internal for one reason: reliability.

Internal means one less bulkhead and vessel penetration, which reduces the chance for leaks.

Also, the claim that external pumps don't heat the water is a myth. If you don't believe me, try running your external pump without water. Be sure to bring the eggs and pancake mix so you can cook breakfast on it before it seizes.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my sump wasn’t in the basement I would run a nice internal dc pump just to save some electric.

Been running external Reeflos for years with no issue.

Currently using a Reeflo Swordtail

312aa360a28f3bcf13b2a603d0f76308.jpg

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal for me. Less chance of a leak. I’d just run a Jebao DCP20000, which should push sufficient flow for a 300. You could even run dual returns for the cost.

The other thing I cannot stand is the sound of an AC pump. Even if a door is closed, it makes a humming noise that I really just hate. Depending on how loud, you can even hear it from another floor. I know, I had to get rid of all my AC pumps. I was using an Iwaki high pressure pump for my basement mixing station. Now I have a SICCE 9.0 in its place. The Jebao should flow more.

I even got rid of the AC pump on my Geo CaRx. Had a custom manifold and base made for a Varios pump. The AC SICCE was super noisy.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is excellent information. I wanted to ensure I had ample turn over though i'm not a big fan of a lot of water moving thru the sump at very fast rates. I would prefer to move the water in the DT with gyres or wave makers. I wanted to see if there was an advantage to running one over the other. I could probaly get away with my Varios 6 which is rated at 1720 gph. I might even look at the Ecotech VECTRA M1 DC (2000 GPH). I have not had any issues with my current Varios 6. I tend to stick with Reef Octopus since my skimmer is made by them. LEt me know what you guys think about the two internal pump the EcoTech or the Varios 6. Thanks.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that the Vectra ratings are overrated. With normal 1” plumbing from a below the tank sump, the flow rate is around half the rated flow. This is measured with a Neptune flow meter. I have never tried a Varios so I cannot comment on it. The Neptune Cor20 pump puts out pretty good flow, but still nothing comparable to a reeflo

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is excellent information. I wanted to ensure I had ample turn over though i'm not a big fan of a lot of water moving thru the sump at very fast rates. I would prefer to move the water in the DT with gyres or wave makers. I wanted to see if there was an advantage to running one over the other. I could probaly get away with my Varios 6 which is rated at 1720 gph. I might even look at the Ecotech VECTRA M1 DC (2000 GPH). I have not had any issues with my current Varios 6. I tend to stick with Reef Octopus since my skimmer is made by them. LEt me know what you guys think about the two internal pump the EcoTech or the Varios 6. Thanks.
Both excellent pumps.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do 2 Varios 6 or 2 Varios 8. I’ve got the 8 and it’s silent on even 5 power.

What size is the new tank? Who is building it?

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could do 2 Varios 6 or 2 Varios 8. I’ve got the 8 and it’s silent on even 5 power.

What size is the new tank? Who is building it?

The new tank will be 300 gallons and I am going to have Custom Aquariums build it. the dimension
will be something like L = 96 H = 30 Depth = 30. I am thinking of a synergy ghost overflow so I won't lose any real estate inside the tank itself

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back