Internal Parasite or normal?

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 2 longspine cardinalfish from LiveAquaria yesterday - they seemed healthy but as I was getting them acclimated I noticed this white stringy poop - which sent me on a tailspin of going out and buying a quarantine tank and now Im trying to figure out where I go from here.

Does this look like internal parasites? They’ve been in QT and there are a few smaller white poops on the bottom of their tank.

3FBE7AC5-D252-422A-8B31-1C2933142B1A.jpeg

I’m on day 2 of treating with ParaGuard since one had a bit of fin rot which seems to be subsiding. Here they are today in QT:

FD380654-BDF6-494D-BFCF-E3FE5D70AA5F.jpeg

Here is a shot of some of the white poop on the bottom of QT tank:

3421670E-7320-4BF5-8A13-616A280E01EC.jpeg

Secondly - my QT is brand new, and not cycled. I threw in about 6 rocks of Seachem Matrix from my established tank and a couple filter media bags that had also been in the established tank for several weeks with the hopes of some good bacteria mitigating some ammonia. I fed them today some mysis for first time.

In a 2 gallon quarantine tank - how often and how much water would you suggest I replace to keep them happy?

Also - where is the end of this? How will I know they’re ready to go into my display and won’t hurt my other fish with potential parasites? Should I be using more than ParaGuard for this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I would do a quick freshwater dip and see if something comes out. That’s an easy way to indicate.

what Im nervous about is if this is just normal casting from an empty stomach - I dont want to put them through unneccessary treatments without knowing for sure if its parasites or not.

crazyreefergirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like you have done a great job with both fish. They are recovering nicely. Use PraziPro if you are concerning with internal parasites. Very mild medication and effective against fluke and some internal parasites. I wouldn't not do freshwater dip if you are not sure what you are doing. It can kill your fish easily plus freshwater dip isn't going to kill internal parasite which you are concerning they might have.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like you have done a great job with both fish. They are recovering nicely. Use PraziPro if you are concerning with internal parasites. Very mild medication and effective against fluke and some internal parasites. I wouldn't not do freshwater dip if you are not sure what you are doing. It can kill your fish easily plus freshwater dip isn't going to kill internal parasite which you are concerning they might have.
Thanks! If you were me how much longer would you wait before putting them in main display? My thinking is if I don’t see any more white poo in the next couple days Ill call it good, if I do Ill start dosing PraziPro.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe when they starve, they can poop out like that. Prazipro is your best bet
Okay cool - Im on day 3 of ParaGuard - they seem healthy and happy and the fin rot has cleared up on the one. My thought is when the PraziPro arrives tomorrow Ill do a water change and start them on that. My biggest question is do I just run through one treatment and call it good? Or do I still need to observe once the treatment is complete?

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely, observe before putting them in dt. Easier to treat them now when they’re out then to try to capture them again.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely, observe before putting them in dt. Easier to treat them now when they’re out then to try to capture them again.
Okay cool - I get a little worried because this is a hospital tank and isnt really cycled. I added a bit of filter media from DT and Im doing about 50% WC daily before adding more meds, but I’d hate to lose them, especially if they don’t even have parasites. I haven’t seen a long white poop since they arrived Tuesday, but there are smaller little whitish poops. Wish it was more definitive as far as if there’s a parasite or not.

Steve180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool - I get a little worried because this is a hospital tank and isnt really cycled. I added a bit of filter media from DT and Im doing about 50% WC daily before adding more meds, but I’d hate to lose them, especially if they don’t even have parasites. I haven’t seen a long white poop since they arrived Tuesday, but there are smaller little whitish poops. Wish it was more definitive as far as if there’s a parasite or

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have thoughts?
Sorry - just waking up! Don't do a FW dip unless you suspect external flukes.

Does the one cardinal still have some damage/infection on its caudal fin? Paraguard is a harsh treatment that isn't really for this sort of problem and actually doesn't work well in marine systems. It also builds up in toxicity. I'd stop dosing that now.

Are both fish eating? If so, I'd wait a few days to see if the mucus in the feces clears up.

Jay

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - just waking up! Don't do a FW dip unless you suspect external flukes.

Does the one cardinal still have some damage/infection on its caudal fin? Paraguard is a harsh treatment that isn't really for this sort of problem and actually doesn't work well in marine systems. It also builds up in toxicity. I'd stop dosing that now.

Are both fish eating? If so, I'd wait a few days to see if the mucus in the feces clears up.

Jay
I’m on day 3 of PraziPro - I still see a few small pieces of white poop, and also normal poop sitting at the bottom of the tank.

Both fish appear fine externally - although what I’ve been seeing is only one of the fish is eating. I haven’t seen the other fish eat at all, but the one that eats is a very active eater.

This kind of leads me to suspect only one has the parasites - what do you think? I haven’t seen any long stringy poops, just little tiny pieces.

Here’s a photo - you can see the tiny white pieces on the bottom that are little white poos.

3BCD2342-E0D5-4CE5-ADAB-7E841550CEC4.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 3 of PraziPro - I still see a few small pieces of white poop, and also normal poop sitting at the bottom of the tank.

Both fish appear fine externally - although what I’ve been seeing is only one of the fish is eating. I haven’t seen the other fish eat at all, but the one that eats is a very active eater.

This kind of leads me to suspect only one has the parasites - what do you think? I haven’t seen any long stringy poops, just little tiny pieces.

Here’s a photo - you can see the tiny white pieces on the bottom that are little white poos.

3BCD2342-E0D5-4CE5-ADAB-7E841550CEC4.jpeg
Is the one not eating the one with the fin issue?
White poop can be a sign of starvation, protozoan or bacterial disease. It is typically not a symptom of trematode worm infections…. which is what Prazipro is designed to treat.
Jay

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the one not eating the one with the fin issue?
White poop can be a sign of starvation, protozoan or bacterial disease. It is typically not a symptom of trematode worm infections…. which is what Prazipro is designed to treat.
Jay
I’m not quite sure - the fin rot issue has subsided though but not sure at this point which one had it. What would be your recommendation that I do from here? This is all very new as far as quarantining and troubleshooting parasites :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m not quite sure - the fin rot issue has subsided though but not sure at this point which one had it. What would be your recommendation that I do from here? This is all very new as far as quarantining and troubleshooting parasites :(
As stated and correct - wait it out to see if any mucus subsides. Many wholesalers will feed brine shrimp for both low cost and an enticer . Often feeding of brine shrimp and/or mysis shrimp will mimic internal parasites.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated and correct - wait it out to see if any mucus subsides. Many wholesalers will feed brine shrimp for both low cost and an enticer . Often feeding of brine shrimp and/or mysis shrimp will mimic internal parasites.
I have stopped all meds for the last few days - both seem healthy and Im not seeing white poop. Given they’re not in a cycled tank (doing daily water changes and dosing ammonia neutralizer) how long until I should put these guys in the display?

Back