Intestinal parasites? Flukes? Both?

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Slightly bummed to be posting in this forum, but as I have not run a QT I figured it was inevitable. May have to re-evaluate that stance now.

Tank is just over a month old. 2 ocellaris clownfish and 1 midas blenny.

Salinity 1.026
Ammonia/Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phos 0.01

First day with clowns I noticed some stringy poop from one and monitored and it resolved ( I attributed it to diet at LFS). Both were happy, active, eating, exploring. ~3 weeks later my larger 'female' started to hang out by her overflow more, and was only nibbling at food, I also noticed another stringy poop clear/tan. As of yesterday she had stopped eating completely and was becoming increasingly lethargic near her overflow. I also noticed increased rate/work of breathing. I am thinking this is either intestinal parasites or potentially flukes. 'Male' clown is 100% fine, no lethargy, eating well, no stringy poop.

Midas blenny hid for about a week and has been out and active ever since and remains so as we speak. I did at one point notice a small white 'flap' on his lower jaw. This went away within a day. About a week later I noticed a small, white/cloudy diffuse patch on his R pectoral fin. Based on activity I figured he had scraped it on a rock. I've literally seen him cram his head into a tiny crack and wiggle super hard to squeeze himself in. Scrape didn't seem out of the realm of possibility. I have also noticed him flashing one or twice (always the same corner of the tank right at the glass, almost looked like aggression towards reflection). Unfortunately it's about a week later and the spot is stable, has not spread, has not improved. I am now concerned this is a fluke (too large/diffuse/isolate to look like ich to me).

As the clown is not eating it looks like prazipro or tank-dosed general cure is my best bet. Because I wanted to treat the blenny for potential flukes as well I elected to dose the DT with prazipro instead of setting up HT for clown/blenny and doing general cure. I didn't feel a FW dip was necessary on the blenny because I was going to treat anyway.

Dose 7.5mL of prazipro into DT with actual water volume of ~30 gallons. Adjusted return nozzles to point at surface to increase oxygenation. Removed carbon. Monitoring for cloudy water/bloom.

Planning to do a water change and re-dose in ~9 days.

Have I missed anything major? Did I make the wrong decision? Anything else I should try or watch out for?

In hindsight I wish I would have acted sooner. Hopefully the clown pulls through. Once (hopefully) stabilized I am considering pulling all 3 fish and running them through a late QT and letting the tank fallow. From what I understand 'fluke fallow' is pretty brief.

Would love to hear what you all think.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone. Slightly bummed to be posting in this forum, but as I have not run a QT I figured it was inevitable. May have to re-evaluate that stance now.

Salinity 1.026
Ammonia/Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phos 0.01

First day with clowns I noticed some stringy poop from one and monitored and it resolved ( I attributed it to diet at LFS). Both were happy, active, eating, exploring. ~3 weeks later my larger 'female' started to hang out by her overflow more, and was only nibbling at food, I also noticed another stringy poop clear/tan. As of yesterday she had stopped eating completely and was becoming increasingly lethargic near her overflow. I also noticed increased rate/work of breathing. I am thinking this is either intestinal parasites or potentially flukes. 'Male' clown is 100% fine, no lethargy, eating well, no stringy poop.

Midas blenny hid for about a week and has been out and active ever since and remains so as we speak. I did at one point notice a small white 'flap' on his lower jaw. This went away within a day. About a week later I noticed a small, white/cloudy diffuse patch on his R pectoral fin. Based on activity I figured he had scraped it on a rock. I've literally seen him cram his head into a tiny crack and wiggle super hard to squeeze himself in. Scrape didn't seem out of the realm of possibility. I have also noticed him flashing one or twice (always the same corner of the tank right at the glass, almost looked like aggression towards reflection). Unfortunately it's about a week later and the spot is stable, has not spread, has not improved. I am now concerned this is a fluke (too large/diffuse/isolate to look like ich to me).

As the clown is not eating it looks like prazipro or tank-dosed general cure is my best bet. Because I wanted to treat the blenny for potential flukes as well I elected to dose the DT with prazipro instead of setting up HT for clown/blenny and doing general cure. I didn't feel a FW dip was necessary on the blenny because I was going to treat anyway.

Dose 7.5mL of prazipro into DT with actual water volume of ~30 gallons. Adjusted return nozzles to point at surface to increase oxygenation. Removed carbon. Monitoring for cloudy water/bloom.

Have I missed anything major? Did I make the wrong decision? Anything else I should try or watch out for?

In hindsight I wish I would have acted sooner. Hopefully the clown pulls through. Once (hopefully) stabilized I am considering pulling all 3 fish and running them through a late QT and letting the tank fallow. From what I understand 'fluke fallow' is pretty brief.

Please post pics of the fish under white lighting and . . . .
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
What foods were you feeding clown?
Any aggression between the two clowns?

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post pics of the fish under white lighting and . . . .
Is fish breathing normal or labored?
What foods were you feeding clown?
Any aggression between the two clowns?
Will post pics in the morning after work, but I haven't noticed any discoloration, spots, fading etc on the clown.
Breathing is definitely labored. Rate increased.
Clowns have been eating a mix of PE mysis pellets, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, and gut loaded brine. (I'm sure my diet could use some work).
Only aggression between the two clowns was from the larger, now sick, clown picking a little bit at the smaller one. It has since subsided completely since she started slowing down. And never seen the blenny nip at either of them. They used to all swim laps together in a little school.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Will post pics in the morning after work, but I have noticed any discoloration, spots, fading etc on the clown.
Breathing is definitely labored. Rate increased.
Clowns have been eating a mix of PE mysis pellets, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, and gut loaded brine. (I'm sure my diet could use some work).
Only aggression between the two clowns was from the larger, now sick, clown picking a little bit at the smaller one. It has since subsided completely since she started slowing down. And never seen the blenny nip at either of them. They used to all swim laps together in a little school.
The larger is likely a female and often an aggressor .
For diet, some good additions are LRS fish frenzy, spirulina mysis shrimp and small plankton

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.026
Ammonia/Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Phos 0.01

Sounds like you put together a good plan. The General Cure has metronidazole in it, and that will be your best bet for treating the clownfish that isn't feeding well....still, that can be a difficult issue to deal with.

Jay

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you put together a good plan. The General Cure has metronidazole in it, and that will be your best bet for treating the clownfish that isn't feeding well....still, that can be a difficult issue to deal with.

Jay
I appreciate the words of approval. Honestly I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Hopefully the prazi helps. If I can just get her eating again I'd feel better, and have another few options. I really should have started a day earlier at least. Will have to be more decisive in the future regardless of the outcome here.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from work. Hoping to see an improved, or stable clown.

Instead I found a very dramatically grey fish swimming erratically and breathing very heavily. Gill(plates?) almost seemed permanently fanned out to the sides. Swimming upside down, bouncing off the rockwork. Very clearly unrecoverable. I went to change my clothes then I was planning to get the net and euthanize her. By the time I changed and came back (2 minutes) she had wedged herself accidentally into the underside of my main arch and was no longer breathing or moving at all.

The prazi must have exacerbated her condition. Either from the stress or O2 or for all I know, fluke convulsions.
I think she was on her way out already, and the effects of the prazi polished her off unfortunately. I don't know that I had another option, however. Sad to have lost this fish.

Should have picked up on the behavior earlier and treated sooner. Experience gained, however. I have a post-mortem picture if it would help with diagnosis or course of treatment, but otherwise I won't post it. Aside from very faded color I noticed no mucous or spot or obvious (to me) signs of disease.

I plan to finish out 2 round of prazi. Aside from the remaining fin spot on the blenny both other fish seem completely happy/healthy.

Would you recommend I dose the blenny/clown with metro/focus food as a precaution? Is it worth running a whole 'late' quarantine and tank follow?

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is medicated food from Brine Shrimp Direct if you think that will help. Of course, the fish needs to be eating for it to work best.
Adjusted return nozzles to point at surface to increase oxygenation.
IMO best to have used 1+ air stones.

IF it is a case of flukes/worms (Monogeneans) and if you decide to move the fish and invertebrates (assuming you have no corals) out, then one option is to lower the salinity (1.009) of the DT for 10 days to eradicate the flukes/worms hatchlings. Some species of flukes/worms may require 35 days at the lower salinity.

Photos and especially a video under white light is helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube and then post the link to it here.

I am sorry for the problems you are having. I know all too well the slickening gut feeling when I have an ill fish. I hope things will get better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from work. Hoping to see an improved, or stable clown.

Instead I found a very dramatically grey fish swimming erratically and breathing very heavily. Gill(plates?) almost seemed permanently fanned out to the sides. Swimming upside down, bouncing off the rockwork. Very clearly unrecoverable. I went to change my clothes then I was planning to get the net and euthanize her. By the time I changed and came back (2 minutes) she had wedged herself accidentally into the underside of my main arch and was no longer breathing or moving at all.

The prazi must have exacerbated her condition. Either from the stress or O2 or for all I know, fluke convulsions.
I think she was on her way out already, and the effects of the prazi polished her off unfortunately. I don't know that I had another option, however. Sad to have lost this fish.

Should have picked up on the behavior earlier and treated sooner. Experience gained, however. I have a post-mortem picture if it would help with diagnosis or course of treatment, but otherwise I won't post it. Aside from very faded color I noticed no mucous or spot or obvious (to me) signs of disease.

I plan to finish out 2 round of prazi. Aside from the remaining fin spot on the blenny both other fish seem completely happy/healthy.

Would you recommend I dose the blenny/clown with metro/focus food as a precaution? Is it worth running a whole 'late' quarantine and tank follow?
Sorry to hear. Clowns tolerate prazi fine, so something else was going on here.

Skip the metro/focus, it won’t work unless you calculate the dose: you would make up a good mix that is 0.5% metro by weight. Lower than that and it won’t help, higher than that and it is bitter and the fish won’t eat it.

Jay

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread because it appears my other clown is afflicted with the same thing almost 2 weeks later.

The two doses of prazi did not help.

I'm now thinking brook based on the breathing and lethargy. No stringy poop from this guy either. I am not noticing any discoloration though. Still possible? Differential? Velvet would have wiped the tank by now from what I understand.

I only noticed when I woke up just before work. Will post some white light photos/videos in the Am when I get home.

Planning on FW dip in AM. And am going to have to set up a hospital tank it looks like.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this thread because it appears my other clown is afflicted with the same thing almost 2 weeks later.

The two doses of prazi did not help.

I'm now thinking brook based on the breathing and lethargy. No stringy poop from this guy either. I am not noticing any discoloration though. Still possible? Differential? Velvet would have wiped the tank by now from what I understand.

I only noticed when I woke up just before work. Will post some white light photos/videos in the Am when I get home.

Planning on FW dip in AM. And am going to have to set up a hospital tank it looks like.
Yes, videos will help to try and diagnose Brooklynella.
FW dip can buy you some time. Ruby Reef dips seem to work better.
Jay

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, videos will help to try and diagnose Brooklynella.
FW dip can buy you some time. Ruby Reef dips seem to work better.
Jay
Here are my attempts at fishtography. I could probably get some slightly better ones if I messed with light and zoom, but I think the condition of the fish is pretty clear in the video at least.

The nick in the second dorsal fin has been there since he came from the LFS. Only other inhabitants are a midas blenny, blackcap basslet, and a black ocellaris. Haven't noticed any aggression and the two clowns sleep together, the blenny sleeps on a rock like 3 inches from them, and the blackcap basslet has a swim bladder issue of it's own and never leaves the cave except to eat.

Primary symptoms I've noticed, and that trend with the previous clowns disease course, are lethargy, not eating, and labored/rapid breathing which can be seen well in the video. Unfortunately the video upload to R2R didn't seem to work. Hopefully I'm allowed to share a youtube link to the video there

I still feel like flukes, but I thought I had treated for that, so brook is my next best guess. Especially since the only victims thus far have been clowns.

PXL_20230604_152427075.jpg PXL_20230604_152428426.jpg PXL_20230604_152430201.jpg PXL_20230604_152432917.jpg

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Uploading a video to YouTube, then posting the link to it here is the best way to go. You can record a video as long as you want using this route.

I don't see the 'normal' mucous build up or sluffing of mucous usually associated with Brooklynella hostilis (Brook). The breathing rate is over 140/min as far as I can tell. This is too high, as already taken into account.

The fish is stressed for sure. Wonder if the LFS has had any issues with the Clownfishes.
lethargy, not eating, and labored/rapid breathing
These form a rather large group of possible problems. Usually the skin/mucous or other visuals sometimes point to a particular pathogen.
the blackcap basslet has a swim bladder issue of it's own
Are you sure this is a swim bladder issue? Has this fish been properly diagnosed? I ask in case this is the 'carrier' of the pathogen afflicting the Clownfishes. This Clownfish (in the video) kept swimming in an upward pointing position.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Uploading a video to YouTube, then posting the link to it here is the best way to go. You can record a video as long as you want using this route.

I don't see the 'normal' mucous build up or sluffing of mucous usually associated with Brooklynella hostilis (Brook). The breathing rate is over 140/min as far as I can tell. This is too high, as already taken into account.

The fish is stressed for sure. Wonder if the LFS has had any issues with the Clownfishes.

These form a rather large group of possible problems. Usually the skin/mucous or other visuals sometimes point to a particular pathogen.

Are you sure this is a swim bladder issue? Has this fish been properly diagnosed? I ask in case this is the 'carrier' of the pathogen afflicting the Clownfishes. This Clownfish (in the video) kept swimming in an upward pointing position.
Got an airstone running in some RODI for a FW dip here in 15 minutes or so, so hopefully that'll help alleviate some of the respiratory symptoms.

The lack of sloughing and mucus is what's tripping me up. Could still be flukes and I just treated wrong the first time? Prazi resistant flukes?

Reaching out to the LFS to see if they've had any issues is a good idea, although I'm not sure I would get a clear answer if they had. Worth a shot though.

Almost certain it's a swim bladder issue. It appears to be a common issue with poor collection and rapid or needle decompression for this species. Unfortunately something I didn't know at the time. Aside from constantly floating upwards and needing to swim downwards to combat the buoyancy the fish is fine. Eating, energetic, responsive. Aside from feeding it always hangs out in it's cave or under and overhang so it doesn't need to swim downwards constantly.

Also the previously deceased clown (which was purchased as a pair with this one) exhibited symptoms and died before the basslet was ever added.

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the previously deceased clown (which was purchased as a pair with this one) exhibited symptoms and died before the basslet was ever added.
Good to know. Thanks. That eliminates this source.

Have you ever performed/tried a Hydrogen Peroxide dip? Generally less stressful on the fish. Anyway, after the dip, I'd add Methylene Blue to make a 3-4 ppm. It may help with breathing and calm the fish.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks. That eliminates this source.

Have you ever performed/tried a Hydrogen Peroxide dip? Generally less stressful on the fish. Anyway, after the dip, I'd add Methylene Blue to make a 3-4 ppm. It may help with breathing and calm the fish.
H2O2 instead of ruby reef/formalin? I did a dip with it on some coral a while back, but haven't read anything about it for fish treatment.

I feel like my current issue is I have no idea what to treat.

If it's brook or velvet I need to go buy a HT/heater/meds. If I'm still looking at flukes then I guess try prazi again? It didn't work last time, however. Formalin should treat flukes and brook as far as I know, so that might be best.

Finished the FW dip. Went for 4ish minutes or so. Noticed absolutely nothing in the container afterwards against a black background. After re-adding to the tank the breathing has not improved, and activity is noticeably decreased. Fish is now intermittently swimming and laying on the sand.

With the gills 'cleared' by the FW, and with no improvement in breathing rate, I'm thinking this is an acid/base issue, not an oxygenation one. Assuming fish can correct pH with respiration like people do. My fish physiology is trash.

Unless somebody has a better explanation I'm thinking my fish is basically septic and beyond saving at this point.

Really appreciate all the input thus far. I've been awake for too long and my brain is getting hazy.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my attempts at fishtography. I could probably get some slightly better ones if I messed with light and zoom, but I think the condition of the fish is pretty clear in the video at least.

The nick in the second dorsal fin has been there since he came from the LFS. Only other inhabitants are a midas blenny, blackcap basslet, and a black ocellaris. Haven't noticed any aggression and the two clowns sleep together, the blenny sleeps on a rock like 3 inches from them, and the blackcap basslet has a swim bladder issue of it's own and never leaves the cave except to eat.

Primary symptoms I've noticed, and that trend with the previous clowns disease course, are lethargy, not eating, and labored/rapid breathing which can be seen well in the video. Unfortunately the video upload to R2R didn't seem to work. Hopefully I'm allowed to share a youtube link to the video there

I still feel like flukes, but I thought I had treated for that, so brook is my next best guess. Especially since the only victims thus far have been clowns.

PXL_20230604_152427075.jpg PXL_20230604_152428426.jpg PXL_20230604_152430201.jpg PXL_20230604_152432917.jpg

Garlic is an appetite enhancer. It stimulates fish to eat. You can put a few drops in the water and watch their reaction. Put it on food according to instructions. I let the garlic extract dry on the food before adding it into the tank.

Attachments

• garlic 2.PNG
    garlic 2.PNG
    275.3 KB · Views: 17
  • garlic 1.PNG
    garlic 1.PNG
    187 KB · Views: 14

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't see the typical mucus associated with Brooklynella. The fish is breathing abnormally fast. That is a typical sign of Amyloodinium/velvet, but as you said, it generally results in death of the affected fish fairly quickly, often within 72 hours after the first symptoms were noted.

I would have to presume that the prazi would have at least given some relief if it was flukes.

I see a number of clownfish with presumed systemic coccidia infections which give the same symptoms you are seeing here, but with that added symptom of stringy white feces. Could you have just missed that symptom? That isn't really treatable though.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Are there not some flukes that are Praziquantel resistant?

Maybe OP should switch to Hyposalinity, Formalin, or Fenbendazole?
H2O2 instead of ruby reef/formalin?
A hydrogen peroxide bath can be better than a FW dip, but, I would do neither at this point. I was just suggesting an alternative to a FW dip for future dips of new fishes. (See above -- maybe Hyposalinity, Formalin, or Fenbendazole is the way to go). Rally Pro by Ruby Reef contains acriflavine, aminoacridine, and formalin.
For an effective Formalin treatment using Rally Pro: Best used as a bath. Take fish from tank. Dip at 2x concentration, for 90 minutes. Best to use new & aged saltwater. Be sure to: (a) Temperature control the bath water by using a heater. (b) Provide plenty of oxygen by using an air pump + air stone. (c) Ensure salinity, pH and temperature of the dip water matches the tank the fish is coming from (or use water the fish is currently in and maintain temperature). Then move fish into a clean/new quarantine tank - same salinity, pH and temp as was the dip water for observation. QT should not be where this fish or any fish came from.
Noticed absolutely nothing in the container afterwards against a black background.
If you see sesame seed shaped things, then the fish had flukes. If you don’t see anything with the unaided eye, there still may flukes/worms in the dip water. Gill flukes are not visible to the unaided eye. Do you have a microscope or access to one? If so, check the dip water (surface, mid-area, and bottom) under a microscope. You may see blobs/spots. This also confirms the fish has flukes/worms.
With the gills 'cleared' by the FW
The dip gives relief, it doesn't cure or "clear out" gill flukes. Gill flukes will resist the dip. It would have to be an extended time at a salinity of about 1.009 SG. The use of Formalin (bath) may take care of the gill flukes.

I hope the fish hangs on.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the typical mucus associated with Brooklynella. The fish is breathing abnormally fast. That is a typical sign of Amyloodinium/velvet, but as you said, it generally results in death of the affected fish fairly quickly, often within 72 hours after the first symptoms were noted.

I would have to presume that the prazi would have at least given some relief if it was flukes.

I see a number of clownfish with presumed systemic coccidia infections which give the same symptoms you are seeing here, but with that added symptom of stringy white feces. Could you have just missed that symptom? That isn't really treatable though.

Jay
Went to sleep with the fish intermittently swimming/laying on the sand, still breathing heavily. The FW dip definitely stressed him out, and didn't help with the breathing, but it seemed like the activity level was recovering slowly. Woke up about 30 minutes ago and there is no fish. It's gone. Can't seem to find a body anywhere. The hermit crabs were especially active in the same corner where I left him, but I don't see any debris, bones, nothing. I doubt my small CUC devoured him in the span of ~5 hours. Maybe dove into a hole in the rock at the end? I am considering this fish dead. Found the body and removed it fortunately. The fish is dead.

It's absolutely possible I missed stringy feces. I have actively watched him poop normally in the past couple of days, and the stringy feces from the previous clown would stay attached to the fish for 24hrs or more sometimes, so I like to think I would have noticed.

So I'm at 2 dead clowns. 3 remaining healthy*(except for the basslet swim bladder) fish.

Any advice on where to go from here? I'm not sure what killed these two fish. I'd love to pull the remaining fish and treat, but I don't know what I'm treating for. The timeline is especially confusing to me. First clown was ~30 days after purchase. Next clown was ~2 weeks after that. Once symptoms appear it feels like it's too late. First clown lasted about a week. This one lasted about 2 days.

Do I go full stop, pull all the remaining fish, put them through a (delayed) qt, and fallow the tank for 6 weeks?
Is it even possible the other fish haven't been infected and I would be able to leave them in the DT and monitor?

Independent of either option we can consider me a quarantine convert. What a mess this has been.

@Weeb I'm going to have to look into the H2O2 dip. Seems like a good tool to have in the box. I do not have a microscope unfortunately to inspect for microscopic flukes. Same question as to Jay above - where do I go from here?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back