Rajvegesna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
My name is Raj, Living in Michigan. New to aquariums. Physician by profession. I am really glad to find this forum. Started exploring aquariums after my daughter asked for a small fish tank. After multiple trips to local fish store, impressed with reef and salt water ecosystems and decided to do salt water aquarium. Initially bought 5 gallon aquarium returned that and bought a 10 gallon innovate marine aquarium and about to return that and finally decided to go with 70 gallon Red Sea system. I guess this is my new hobby and exploring everything with my 9 year old daughter. Watch bunch of videos online including all 34 or so 5 minute videos of BRSTV.
So far I bought:
1 SpectraPure 5 stage RODI
2. Finnex 500 W titanium heater
3.Red sea Reefer deluxe 350 91 gallon G2 set up with lights, RSk 300 skimmer, Reef mat 500, one reef wave 45, Reef dose 4 with tubing, - This will arrive in 3 days.
4. Sicce 400-800 gph pump
5. Oase auto fish feeder
6. Fritz turbo start 900 4oz
7. Mastertronic automated water tester will all the reagents (I realize not all the reagents are needed)
8. fritz glass cleaner
9. Hygger aquarium gravel cleaner - Not sure if this is good and sure if I can call it a python or I have to buy a better python.
10 Milwaukee digital salinity refractometer
11 Aquaneat circulation pump/power head to mix salt water
12 Vivosun pump to pump water into the aquarium
13 couple 44 gallon brute trash can for fresh and salt water reservoirs- (pics below). RODI system is not set up yet.
My reservoirs are in the basement in the mechanical room and aquarium will be on the first floor living room without any access to the water outlets.

I really appreciate suggestion regarding the
1. Rock- How much rock do I need to buy? Should I buy dry rock or live? I was looking at bulk reef supplies 55lbs real reef rock. Not sure if its worth spending $350. I was told that due to ammonia spikes in first few days of set up will kill most of the bacteria in the live rock anyway. I was told to buy dry rock from local store. I really appreciate any suggestions regarding the rock, brand and type if any.
2. What type and brand of sand should I buy and how much?
3. Any suggestions regarding the next steps and live stock that can be added after the cycling ammonia-nitrates like clean up crew etc
4 Should I buy a better python to clean the sand and replace water?
I am really new to this and please forgive for my ignorance.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Raj and daughter to reef2reef!!!!!
D14BE21B-E88A-4CC7-AB6E-51BF11EA980F.gif

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! Welcome so CaribSea Live Sand is great and so is dry rock or aquacultured rock if you don’t want to spend hundreds on ocean rock and want to avoid hitchhikers/having to cure live rock but know that ocean rock will contain the best bacteria and cycle the quickest. You want about 1-2ish lbs of rock per gallon of water and around 4-5ish 20 lb bags of sand depending on how deep of a sand bed you want. I recommend getting the rock and sand from a LFS instead it will be cheaper and you can plan an aquascape a little better in person. And here’s a good thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/ and look at the article section of this website to find more information about various saltwater aquarium topics. If you ever have any questions or concerns at all post them on here and I guarantee someone will know the answer. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Oh and make sure you place the tank on a bottom floor or reinforce the floors due to the weight and invest in a lid too if you haven’t already. And please post a built thread and remember patience is key in this hobby. Or you have any other questions free to send me a message.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back