Invasive coral tank

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am think of setting up a tank filled with all the coral that people class as invasive, things like gsp, Xenia and mushrooms. The sort of things that I don't want in my main reef tank. I currently have a cycled fluval 13.5 with a pair of clownfish and live rock, bare bottom. Been cycled a while with just the fish and clean up crew
I was thinking of using gsp to cover the bare bottom, seen someone online do this and liked the look.
Anyone ever done this sort of thing or have some suggestions of nice coral that people might consider invasive

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not add Aptasia too. Seems like a waste of allot of effort.
Why do you say that? I like the look of these corals but I don't want them in my main large tank, im not saying I want them to overtake my tank and go unmanaged but they would be difficult to keep cutting in my larger tank so I was going to make a tank that was easier to control them

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am think of setting up a tank filled with all the coral that people class as invasive, things like gsp, Xenia and mushrooms. The sort of things that I don't want in my main reef tank. I currently have a cycled fluval 13.5 with a pair of clownfish and live rock, bare bottom. Been cycled a while with just the fish and clean up crew
I was thinking of using gsp to cover the bare bottom, seen someone online do this and liked the look.
Anyone ever done this sort of thing or have some suggestions of nice coral that people might consider invasive

Sounds like a cool little tank. Low maintenance, most of those "invasive" corals dont like super clean water. A whole floor of GSP would be different. I like the idea.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ Aipsta and vermetid snails ;)

I've head that colt corals can be a bit invasive by dropping limbs and propagating that way. The other main ones I've heard about you've already covered: GSP and Xenia.

I think it's a good idea.I'm trying to do exactly that, but can't even keep invasive corals alive.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ Aipsta and vermetid snails ;)

I've head that colt corals can be a bit invasive by dropping limbs and propagating that way. The other main ones I've heard about you've already covered: GSP and Xenia.

I think it's a good idea.I'm trying to do exactly that, but can't even keep invasive corals alive.
Thanks I've not seen colt corals before, will have to look into them.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep what you like, its a great idea and I have started something similar in a old 14 gallon biocube I have.. it's all the things I love but wouldn't put in my main reef tank ;) I have incrusting gorgonian, green star polyps, hairy mushrooms and kenya trees. I also have a 5 gallon that has all the nasty hitch hikers I have caught from my ocean aquacultured live rock.

not a very good pic but gives you a idea what the 14 looks like today.

C8EA3EC1-C6EF-4353-B92F-5281497E8B01.png

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a cool little tank. Low maintenance, most of those "invasive" corals dont like super clean water. A whole floor of GSP would be different. I like the idea.
My water is pretty stable at the minute. I do also like having the low maintenance tank. I have my tank of lps and sps that I don't want these in so I thought why not use the fluval that up until now has been fish only

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep what you like, its a great idea and I have started something similar in a old 14 gallon biocube I have.. it's all the things I love but wouldn't put in my main reef tank ;) I have incrusting gorgonian, green star polyps, hairy mushrooms and kenya trees. I also have a 5 gallon that has all the nasty hitch hikers I have caught from my ocean aquacultured live rock.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes these corals and doesn't think it's a waste of a tank

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good n cheap too usually. Got a fist sized piece from htcorals.com for 7 bucks.
Not going to lie, I hadn't even considered the cost yet, my LFS pretty much give some of these away because they have so much

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love some of the invasive corals, pulsing xenia and gsp. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is pretty stable at the minute. I do also like having the low maintenance tank. I have my tank of lps and sps that I don't want these in so I thought why not use the fluval that up until now has been fish only

mine is super low maintenance.. Its has had one 2 gallon water change in the last year, no testing, no additives and no prefilter or socks to clean!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much have a mushroom dominant system. Mostly high end collector shrooms. Alot of people do mushroom garden etc. So I encourage you on that.
The rest can do just as well in your sump or reservoir I've seen alot of nice ones lol with all kinds of fancy neon light and stuff and they can serve a purpose there.

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome, I like it. Very cool

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back