Inverts eating coral skeleton

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gman83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gman83

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2022
Messages
4,802
Reaction score
18,930
Location
KC area
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all,

I have an inverts that is eating one of my frogspawn's skeleton. Which ever it is, it's like a beaver chewing through a tree.

Here is a picture of the coral some time in the first month of getting it:
20241111_160114.jpg
It is the top frogspawn (the blue and green). Mostly a full skeleton except where it was dragged.

Here is a close up of it today:
20241216_074540.jpg

I dipped the frags before placing it in the tank. I've narrowed it down to a Halloween hermit or my pencil urchin. Those are the only non-snails I have. I've had thr urchin for a while (9+ months) so I'm more inclined to believe it the crab. However, saw the urchin on it last night, and this morning there are new chew marks.

I know it's not a fish, as only have two clowns, a midas blenny, and a tomini tang at the moment.

My question, regardless of which it is how can I get it to stop? I don't want to come home, or wake up to the polyps face down in the sand because something chewed through it.

CA: 480
Po4:.08
No3:10
Alk: 8.9
Salinity: 1.025
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new