OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS is even prettier than I expected!! Gorgeous! New frags are really nice!
Since you have such a beautiful tank maybe you could help me figure out what we are doing wrong! ?
We have mostly soft and leathers but started a few months ago with a few pieces of SPS. Friday lost an Acro. STN I think just turned white at the base on Thur am and by Friday while frag white. Checked water and everything. Have very high cal and alk even though we never dose alk and stopped dosing cal. Ph stable with co2 scrubber and very small amount of balance. Feed reef roids and aminos a couple times per week. Made some light adjustments when we noticed the white on base of Acro.
We have 300gal with 2 AI hydro 52 and 2 AI Vega s. Can I ask what you have your lights set at??? Since we have the same lights? Our leathers/ star polyps do well but not much else. Our birds nest large colony I wanted to try did great for two months and started encrusting on rock then just started turning white one day.
Phos is using low like 0.1 and nitrates 0. Started adding nitrates this week. Feed heavy 2x/day.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. And thank you for posting FTS. I always enjoy seeing others tanks, my favorite part about this forum. And we really loved Ireland. The only place we traveled to (and we travel a lot ) that we left saying...”we could live here”! We did drive all over Southern Ireland for 10 days and Dublin. Have you ever been to US?

Thanks for the nice comments, There a few questions here so I'll try and answer them as best as I can and how I would personally go about changing things. I'm no expert and I'm sure there's many on these forums who are.

"Have very high cal and alk even though we never dose alk and stopped dosing cal"
Ok, how high is high and how are you testing? How are these high if your not dosing? are you doing frequent water changes with a salt that provided high KH and CAL? try and use a salt that provides similar params to what your aiming to achieve. I use salifert test kits. Stability is key in this game. I would test at the same time every 2 days to get an understanding of what the tank is using.

"Ph stable with co2 scrubber and very small amount of balance"
I've personally never tested PH so I can't comment on that

"Feed reef roids and aminos a couple times per week"
I've found coral foods and additives to be very nutrient rich, they always raised my N03+P04 so I don't feed them. Corals will survive and thrive with correct and stable water conditions and decent light. I would recommend stop adding things like those you have mentioned for a couple of months to let things settle and see how things go.

"Made some light adjustments when we noticed the white on base of Acro"
All my corals I let acclimatise on my sand bed for a week to 3 weeks before placing them on the rockwork (sometimes longer if they have came from a tank which isn't lite by LED's). If it starts to STN/RTN after a while I know its not the lights. I've lost a few acros to STN/RTN but they have always been new purchases. I've saved a few by applying a putty bandage around the white areas and the healthy coral has grew over it.

Can I ask what you have your lights set at???
Yeah, my lights at peak are 100% blues and 50% whites, the other colours around 20 -30% with 4 hrs ramp each side. I woundn't worry too much about your lights, you have more than enough power there, water quality is more important than the lights. I have Acros growing on my sand bed in around 70 -90 PAR

"Our birds nest large colony I wanted to try did great for two months and started encrusting on rock then just started turning white one day"
I would hazard a guess and say this was caused by water parameters fluctuating, most probable KH

"Phos is using low like 0.1 and nitrates 0. Started adding nitrates this week. Feed heavy 2x/day"
How are you testing P04 and how are you controlling it? I use Rowaphos and my algae bed helps
How are you testing N03 and how are you controlling it? My algae bed keeps mine N03 in check

Again, this is just how I would get things in check. I would double check those test results and maybe even buy new test kits and would cut down on the feeding. I only feed 3 cubes of frozen every second day and a pinch of flake every other day. If your feeding that heavy I'm surprised you have zero N03

"Have you ever been to US?"
Yeah, I've been quite a few times. I've friends in Kansas City which I've been to a few times, I've also been to New Hampshire a couple of times, Vegas, Miami and my wife and I got to New York last Christmas which was excellent. I love getting to the states for a trip.

Anyway, I hope what I've posted above helps in some way.
The key thing is correct water params and stability. That coupled with good flow and decent light and your good.
I would stop adding corals foods etc and start testing more to understand whats happening in your tank.
If theres anything else I can help with just let me know
All the best,
-Tony

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS is even prettier than I expected!! Gorgeous! New frags are really nice!
Since you have such a beautiful tank maybe you could help me figure out what we are doing wrong! ?
We have mostly soft and leathers but started a few months ago with a few pieces of SPS. Friday lost an Acro. STN I think just turned white at the base on Thur am and by Friday while frag white. Checked water and everything. Have very high cal and alk even though we never dose alk and stopped dosing cal. Ph stable with co2 scrubber and very small amount of balance. Feed reef roids and aminos a couple times per week. Made some light adjustments when we noticed the white on base of Acro.
We have 300gal with 2 AI hydro 52 and 2 AI Vega s. Can I ask what you have your lights set at??? Since we have the same lights? Our leathers/ star polyps do well but not much else. Our birds nest large colony I wanted to try did great for two months and started encrusting on rock then just started turning white one day.
Phos is using low like 0.1 and nitrates 0. Started adding nitrates this week. Feed heavy 2x/day.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. And thank you for posting FTS. I always enjoy seeing others tanks, my favorite part about this forum. And we really loved Ireland. The only place we traveled to (and we travel a lot ) that we left saying...”we could live here”! We did drive all over Southern Ireland for 10 days and Dublin. Have you ever been to US?

0E600B78-2AF2-4446-A50F-FF06C9C5CF73.jpeg

A449DE30-6644-421B-B852-8016D6B36331.jpeg

7418B05B-9359-4664-B035-43FEBBF4EF44.jpeg
Nice tank!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the nice comments, There a few questions here so I'll try and answer them as best as I can and how I would personally go about changing things. I'm no expert and I'm sure there's many on these forums who are.

"Have very high cal and alk even though we never dose alk and stopped dosing cal"
Ok, how high is high and how are you testing? How are these high if your not dosing? are you doing frequent water changes with a salt that provided high KH and CAL? try and use a salt that provides similar params to what your aiming to achieve. I use salifert test kits. Stability is key in this game. I would test at the same time every 2 days to get an understanding of what the tank is using.

"Ph stable with co2 scrubber and very small amount of balance"
I've personally never tested PH so I can't comment on that

"Feed reef roids and aminos a couple times per week"
I've found coral foods and additives to be very nutrient rich, they always raised my N03+P04 so I don't feed them. Corals will survive and thrive with correct and stable water conditions and decent light. I would recommend stop adding things like those you have mentioned for a couple of months to let things settle and see how things go.

"Made some light adjustments when we noticed the white on base of Acro"
All my corals I let acclimatise on my sand bed for a week to 3 weeks before placing them on the rockwork (sometimes longer if they have came from a tank which isn't lite by LED's). If it starts to STN/RTN after a while I know its not the lights. I've lost a few acros to STN/RTN but they have always been new purchases. I've saved a few by applying a putty bandage around the white areas and the healthy coral has grew over it.

Can I ask what you have your lights set at???
Yeah, my lights at peak are 100% blues and 50% whites, the other colours around 20 -30% with 4 hrs ramp each side. I woundn't worry too much about your lights, you have more than enough power there, water quality is more important than the lights. I have Acros growing on my sand bed in around 70 -90 PAR

"Our birds nest large colony I wanted to try did great for two months and started encrusting on rock then just started turning white one day"
I would hazard a guess and say this was caused by water parameters fluctuating, most probable KH

"Phos is using low like 0.1 and nitrates 0. Started adding nitrates this week. Feed heavy 2x/day"
How are you testing P04 and how are you controlling it? I use Rowaphos and my algae bed helps
How are you testing N03 and how are you controlling it? My algae bed keeps mine N03 in check

Again, this is just how I would get things in check. I would double check those test results and maybe even buy new test kits and would cut down on the feeding. I only feed 3 cubes of frozen every second day and a pinch of flake every other day. If your feeding that heavy I'm surprised you have zero N03

"Have you ever been to US?"
Yeah, I've been quite a few times. I've friends in Kansas City which I've been to a few times, I've also been to New Hampshire a couple of times, Vegas, Miami and my wife and I got to New York last Christmas which was excellent. I love getting to the states for a trip.

Anyway, I hope what I've posted above helps in some way.
The key thing is correct water params and stability. That coupled with good flow and decent light and your good.
I would stop adding corals foods etc and start testing more to understand whats happening in your tank.
If theres anything else I can help with just let me know
All the best,
-Tony
Tony, thank you for all your help! I will work on those things. Thank you very much and please keep posting pictures. I’m glad you’ve been here and some nice places too! Thanks for sharing Tony and helping! Take care and have a nice day, Kindel

OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SSC growing well and green coming through
0a2b20cff6519e6b10c9ee79ccf7f749.jpg

A top down pic showing one of my milli frags with nice colours showing
bf7a79903ddbe8d669465f5cfc77ca40.jpg

And I also added 2 sand sifting stars and around 10 turbos to try and tidly up the sand bed
a0eb325af56d096ccd16c80d595fa490.jpg

Skimmer has been off now for a few weeks and colours in corals are a lot deeper now, tho nitrates are still undetectable. I'm guessing the extra nutrients are being consumed by the corals

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful colors! I like the star fish! Our tank is doing better. We lost one Acro but the birds nest has come back really well. We turned off doser except for magnesium and balance. And removed the phosphate reactor also. Thanks for your help. Maybe in a few months when we’ve been stable for a bit will try more acros. Thanks for posting update on your tank and hope you will continue! Have a nice day, Kindel

OP
OP
Diggler

Diggler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony, do you still have the naso and hippo tang?
Unfortunately I don't. My lipstick died a few months back. It stopped eating and a large growth grew internal, I think it may have been the big C that got him.

The regal started to nip at some LPS so he had to go also.

I was actually tempted by a beautiful goldrick tang today but I though my powder blue would not be too happy so I decided against and went with the 3 wrasse.

I'm a big fan of wrasse, beautiful colours, always busy in the tank and eat pests. The perfect fish!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't. My lipstick died a few months back. It stopped eating and a large growth grew internal, I think it may have been the big C that got him.

The regal started to nip at some LPS so he had to go also.

I was actually tempted by a beautiful goldrick tang today but I though my powder blue would not be too happy so I decided against and went with the 3 wrasse.

I'm a big fan of wrasse, beautiful colours, always busy in the tank and eat pests. The perfect fish!
Sorry about the naso, that’s sad was a beautiful fish. The wrasses are also and less disease prone I think. We Lov our flame wrasse. Our bird nest is better after your suggests too thank you! Lov th picture of your son watching the tank!

86EF8AFF-FDC0-410A-BCEE-C79B421E1924.jpeg

CEE5B3C3-C656-4F17-A0CD-92FFE5C7ABFE.jpeg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful additions to your stunning tank, thanks for the update:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back