Is a Nero 3 suitable for my 20G tank?

yanni

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2021
Messages
644
Reaction score
358
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I just purchased a Red Sea Max Nano, it’s a 20g AIO cube. The display is roughly 62L/16.5Gallon.

I’ve finally decided on my powerhead, and decided to go a Nero 3. From what I’ve found, most people run a Nero on a tank my size at roughly anywhere from 2%-20% capacity.

Just would like to check, is a Nero 3 suitable for my tank, or will it be overkill? Not sure if running it super low for long times could cause damage to the motor perhaps?
 
Hey all,

I just purchased a Red Sea Max Nano, it’s a 20g AIO cube. The display is roughly 62L/16.5Gallon.

I’ve finally decided on my powerhead, and decided to go a Nero 3. From what I’ve found, most people run a Nero on a tank my size at roughly anywhere from 2%-20% capacity.

Just would like to check, is a Nero 3 suitable for my tank, or will it be overkill? Not sure if running it super low for long times could cause damage to the motor perhaps?
I think the Nero 3 will work! I have a Nero 5 on my 30gallo. And it’s so strong
 
I like my Nero 3 on my Red Sea 200. I like that you can specify the pulse time (something the MP10, et al is sorely missing, which I don’t understand, seeing as they have the same parent company…). It’ll be fine for your tank with the right setting.
 
How do you like it? I keep my settings really low like 15%, my tanks the innovative marine one
I like the Nero 5s. I have 5 of them in 3 different tanks. A pair of Nero 3s in the IM30 would probably be better but the single 5 works fine.

The Nero 5 runs at 30% random during the day and at 45% pulse at night. The tank is completely silent during the day.

A4415050-1114-47DF-9B84-0209544A605D.jpeg
 
I like the Nero 5s. I have 5 of them in 3 different tanks. A pair of Nero 3s in the IM30 would probably be better but the single 5 works fine.

I have the Nero 5 running at 30% random during the day and at 45% pulse at night. The tank is completely silent during the day.

A4415050-1114-47DF-9B84-0209544A605D.jpeg
I like the neros too I just didn’t expect it to be so strong. I have three Nero 5s on my tanks. Alga do you tried any of the mp series, any comparisons?
 
There are MP10s and MP40s in my other tanks. The Nero 5 is in between a MP10 and a MP40 on paper and in the tank. Nero 5 flow is wide like a MP40 but not as strong. The MP10s have a narrower flow stream and can be turned down quite low. I had a MP10 on an 8 gal cube before.

Manufacturer flow ratings
MP10, 200 - 1500 gph
MP40, 4500+ gph
Nero 3, max 2000 gph
Nero 5, max 3000 gph

Nero 5 flow rating in the app
954 @ 1%
1563 @ 30%
3034 @ 100%
 
My daughter has a Nero 3 in her WB 20 Cube. Works great, but we are running at very low flow because otherwise we'd blow the glass apart
+1 I've got a Nero3 on my WB 20 cube as well and I run the random setting during the day 1-35%, then 10% for most of the night, and a 40% blow for an hour in the early morning to dust off the schmutz. You'll love it, and it is super user friendly!
 
+1 for the nero 3. I have one in my nuvo 20. I haven’t messed with the settings much, but my mixed reef seems to be satisfied at these settings, for now anyways.
1B530C3C-8DFF-41BC-91A2-ACF76CC2D588.png
 
What does the app show for gph for your constant 47% and pulse 65%?
 
Lots of people use it on 20 gallons. Just keep in mind, even though the UI says 1%, the real output is something like 30% of the max GPH.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new