Is anyone looking to mentor?

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you experienced reefers would be open to mentoring a novice. I started my tank in the middle of January and things have been going very well but I know this can change quickly. I hate to start a thread for every little question I have. I understand the basics of this hobby however there is just sooo much to learn. The search feature here is certainly my friend and I find most my answers that way but there’s always random questions I’d love to bounce off someone. I don’t know anyone else in the hobby personally, and the only other tanks I see other than mine are at my LFS. My LFS is awesome but I can’t bug him all the time. Anyways, if any of you experienced mixed reef guys are open to talking shop let me know. Through DM’s here is fine if that's whats comfortable. I have a 120 display tank currently with 3 fish, 5 corals and a bubble tip and I'm picking up a Crocea clam today. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! No better way to bounce questions off someone then bouncing them off an entire community of knowledge.
Amen to that. But another idea is to check to see if you have a local reef club Facebook page. There have been mentor/mentee "programs" in my area. That way you have someone nearby.

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you do a build thread? Would love to see the set up and how it is going.
Pretty sure he has a build thread. Just click on his “build thread contributor” banner and it will take you to it

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! No better way to bounce questions off someone then bouncing them off an entire community of knowledge.

It is good to get feed back from an entire community, I agree. BUT many of times you get conflicting advise from such a large community it leaves you more confused.

My advise is to find that one person who has a nice looking tank, and ask him/her if you can pick their brain, and follow their advise.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is good to get feed back from an entire community, I agree. BUT many of times you get conflicting advise from such a large community it leaves you more confused.

My advise is to find that one person who has a nice looking tank, and ask him/her if you can pick their brain, and follow their advise.

+1 This is what I was thinking as well

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. This community, with its conversation rooms will fill you with information.... all with a collective braintrust of years of reefing experience. R2R is awesome. Welcome

tenor.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you experienced reefers would be open to mentoring a novice. I started my tank in the middle of January and things have been going very well but I know this can change quickly. I hate to start a thread for every little question I have. I understand the basics of this hobby however there is just sooo much to learn. The search feature here is certainly my friend and I find most my answers that way but there’s always random questions I’d love to bounce off someone. I don’t know anyone else in the hobby personally, and the only other tanks I see other than mine are at my LFS. My LFS is awesome but I can’t bug him all the time. Anyways, if any of you experienced mixed reef guys are open to talking shop let me know. Through DM’s here is fine if that's whats comfortable. I have a 120 display tank currently with 3 fish, 5 corals and a bubble tip and I'm picking up a Crocea clam today. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.
Welcome to R2R. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus when you bounce questions around in here, others like myself, will benefits for your questions and reading the answers. I may not have the problem you have, but I could one day. And if I see a thread here that I can refer to it makes it easier for me to quickly react. I think that's what is great about here, share problems and solutions as a group to hopefully helps someone else one day.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see most questions being bounced off of the forum and getting great answers. I can also see someone feeling embarrassed over how their tank is faring, wanting to fix it and not wanting the community to find out. As I say often, this is a poodle show and if your poodle has mange, you don’t want the poodle association seeing it. If you have one of those “mangy poodle” questions, feel free to pm me. I’m not going to judge you. There are no dumb questions.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. I do indeed have a build thread, but i need to go back into it and update it. I'll continue to do what I've been doing and maybe i'll post something in the local thread. This place is awesome though. Without all the help this hobby would be near non existent.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back