Votes: 81 19.5%

• Total voters

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many say forgiving. I rest my feelings on management of tank. Ive had so many sizes and the 360 has been the easiest to mange, the one I have had to maintain or clean less and the one I was able to stock with everything I have wanted and I am now actively seeking an even larger yet system

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More water or bigger tank. They are not necessarily the same. Multiple tanks totaling say 300 gals in my mind would be more work than one 300 gal tank. I like a very clean tank with lots of colonies so for me 100 gals is the perfect size. I can keep everything manual and other than picking HA off the corals on a weekly basis it is very easy to maintain. The cost to run a tank this size is less that $20 for electricity and about the same for other supplies.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
More water or bigger tank. They are not necessarily the same. Multiple tanks totaling say 300 gals in my mind would be more work than one 300 gal tank. I like a very clean tank with lots of colonies so for me 100 gals is the perfect size. I can keep everything manual and other than picking HA off the corals on a weekly basis it is very easy to maintain. The cost to run a tank this size is less that $20 for electricity and about the same for other supplies.

You said Clean tank with lots of colonies? It can be done with my 360g also

360c.jpg

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a 90 to a 240 second hand glass cages tank. After 2 years I am now downgrading to a 120. The 240 was 31” high on top of a 36” deck so if I ever needed to reach the bottom (with my hand not tongs) I would need a step stool and water would get up to my ear! And being 24” deep forget about anything on the SB in the middle back- that was know as the “abyss”. As for water changes I did not have just “knobs” to turn so yea that involved buckets doing 25 g a pop so that means 10 buckets-5 out and 5 in, so naturally my WC regimen slacked and what happens- algae. As others have stated- the water stays stable but once you have a problem it is a real pain to get it back under control because the moves are so slow. Even if you have access to the systems and resources to perform large automated WC it still makes for a challenge- my neighbor has a 300 and he would do 60 gallon WC monthly and he still had hair algae problems- that tank is no longer a reef but instead a predator tank which is still cool but not a reef. I would say you will still want to have a very large overpowered skimmer and do at least 10% WC weekly to stay on top of things. Of course everyone has different preferences and equipment (and opinions) but it’s still a lot of work and costs a lot more for reasons stated. It didn’t work for me and I’m fine with never going above 180 again.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, if you are currently having problems with a small tank, and thinking the solution is to go big, you will probably just end up with the same problems, or a new set of problems. Lots of small tanks work just fine. better to know to how to properly fix the current problem.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I upgraded from a 90 to a 240 second hand glass cages tank. After 2 years I am now downgrading to a 120. The 240 was 31” high on top of a 36” deck so if I ever needed to reach the bottom (with my hand not tongs) I would need a step stool and water would get up to my ear! And being 24” deep forget about anything on the SB in the middle back- that was know as the “abyss”. As for water changes I did not have just “knobs” to turn so yea that involved buckets doing 25 g a pop so that means 10 buckets-5 out and 5 in, so naturally my WC regimen slacked and what happens- algae. As others have stated- the water stays stable but once you have a problem it is a real pain to get it back under control because the moves are so slow. Even if you have access to the systems and resources to perform large automated WC it still makes for a challenge- my neighbor has a 300 and he would do 60 gallon WC monthly and he still had hair algae problems- that tank is no longer a reef but instead a predator tank which is still cool but not a reef. I would say you will still want to have a very large overpowered skimmer and do at least 10% WC weekly to stay on top of things. Of course everyone has different preferences and equipment (and opinions) but it’s still a lot of work and costs a lot more for reasons stated. It didn’t work for me and I’m fine with never going above 180 again.

I too have a Glass cages) and acquired it used from original owner. I will be the first to admit some of your headaches.
It took 8 guys to get my tank into entry and to the stand and these were all guys from planet fitness. The depth was my biggest challenge. I have a 6ft step ladder just to get to lower part of tank as well as tongues and grippers which I bought after assuring myself I could place my coral in lower part of tank and when I dropped a prized gonipora, I reached in further getting the side of my face into water but was able to retrieve it at the tune of 3 cracked ribs which sounded like someone twisting bubble wrap.
Water changes however have been easy for me. I do them twice a year and I do utilize a python unit and large capacity ATO and mix tank made of poly.
I have adapted and have overcome the headaches and truly enjoy the tank rather than enduring headaches. Its a matter of patience and willingness with such a beast of a tank..

You wouldn't have a couple of pics of your tank, would you? Just curious how similar it is to mine

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found this question to be a strange one because (as seen in the responses lol) a lot of people have a different definition of easy.

Are larger tanks more forgiving? I believe yes... some could argue that due to the amount of work required for a WC that the answer should be no.

Are larger tanks easier to maintain? I would say yes, because if I built a 300+g tank I would automate a lot of it and plan for that money being spent. Others will argue no because they didn't or don't want to budget for the automation or plumbing.

I think there is a sweet spot where you get all the benefits of a larger system in terms of water volume and fish selection but you don't run into the issues of budget and relying on automation as much. To me, that sweet spot is probably around 80-120 gallons. They're large enough to accommodate most fish and still be able to reach every area in the DT. I think a lot of it depends on your personal situation and your budget to answer what size will be simpler to maintain.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've always found this question to be a strange one because (as seen in the responses lol) a lot of people have a different definition of easy.

Are larger tanks more forgiving? I believe yes... some could argue that due to the amount of work required for a WC that the answer should be no.

Are larger tanks easier to maintain? I would say yes, because if I built a 300+g tank I would automate a lot of it and plan for that money being spent. Others will argue no because they didn't or don't want to budget for the automation or plumbing.

I think there is a sweet spot where you get all the benefits of a larger system in terms of water volume and fish selection but you don't run into the issues of budget and relying on automation as much. To me, that sweet spot is probably around 80-120 gallons. They're large enough to accommodate most fish and still be able to reach every area in the DT. I think a lot of it depends on your personal situation and your budget to answer what size will be simpler to maintain.

What budget ....LOL . You made valid points and its great to see the various feelings on Large Versus smaller.
One thing I will say for sure - It's not so much on here but having a larger tank is nice and all, but I have noticed as was also brought up to me as if there are people out there with very large systems (500 gal Plus) who have them due to passion of reefing or for bragging rights? I admire all setups and pics I see on R2R and never mock any tank as we were all once there.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a ten gallon fresh water than a twenty finally a55 gallon system. As I mentioned over up the tanks became easier to maintain parameters this more stable. When I went to set up salt water I wanted to go bigger. I see up a 75 gallon. Easier is not the goal stability was. In the end stability in my opinion makes the tank easier to maintain. Just my op

toti21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank was a 55g next a 75 then a 120. Never had issues with large swings and everything grew well. I now have a 29 biocube and if I don’t test it 1 day my alk will be off. Ph gets to 7.6 at night and 8.3 in the evening. If I feed a little bit more my po4 goes through the roof. These are my daily struggles, so I say bigger is better.
I am at the 75 mark. I agree that larger tanks are more stable.

I used to have 20, 130RSM, 55.
Water evaporation alone causes issues on smaller tanks with the increase in salinity

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many say forgiving. I rest my feelings on management of tank. Ive had so many sizes and the 360 has been the easiest to mange, the one I have had to maintain or clean less and the one I was able to stock with everything I have wanted and I am now actively seeking an even larger yet system

I agree completely!

I think there's a hidden undertone here -- As I said, when most people go big, 300g+, they don't typically head down to the nearest Petco and buy the cheapest El Tanko brand tank they can get. It's a serious build, with MONTHS of pre-emptive planning, and discussion with friends. Before you even have a tank brand in mind people already have a plan for water stations, plumbing, what they want, what they need, what they can't stand, etc etc.

So going purely on the merits of the OP's question. Is bigger easier? Yes, from a water chemistry standpoint. Absolutely.

From a maintenance standpoint? Most likely -- The caveat here being that once in a blue moon, someone DOES head down to petco to buy an El Tanko 300 gallon tank... And that's okay, but that typically means impulse buy, with lack of planning.

If you plan your system from the ground up, you're probably going with a custom tank, and looking to invest about $15,000 into the TANK ITSELF. Yes, JUST the tank starts at around that price. Most people don't realize nice custom tanks in this size range cost in excess of $25,000+ if you're going with at least half of the bells and whistles. Additionally, the wait list for these big name custom manufacturers is like a year -- That gives you a YEAR of planning and discussing with the tank manufacturer. It only takes a month or less for them to build your tank, but it takes a year for your tank to be started usually.

Sorry for the caps... emphasis is important to me, I think it drives home the importance... But if that's where you're coming from? Maintenance is going to be the EASIEST setup of all time, because you'll have planned for everything.

BUT, if you walked down to the ole petco for the El Tanko brand tank, and plan to be walking 5 gallon buckets back and forth, you're gonna have baaaad time when it comes to maintenance.

@vetteguy53081 -- Out of curiosity, would you mind elaborating on what steps you chose when setting up such a large tank? Especially if you walked down to the ole petco and bought an El Tanko, because that's good data to show how much better a large tank can be, even WITHOUT proper planning.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier can mean different things. IMO more water volume is more stable, but also more work. More fish and coral, more equipment to maintain, more glass to clean, more things to break, more things to fix, etc. That said a large tank running smooth could be less work than a small tank that’s out of whack.

Overall though, I think a properly set up and maintained small tank is less work and easier to maintain.

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't have a couple of pics of your tank, would you? Just curious how similar it is to mine

Oh just a couple.[emoji57]

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

I found it on Craigslist for 800 which included a nice solid teak stand- a beast for sure. I did love the possibilities that tank offered- just bit off a little more than I could chew I guess. But the 240 is now in a good home and still setup as a reef I am happy to report. I am doing a build for the new 120 and since this is daddy’s “last” tank I am sort of splurging on, we’ll everything.

Vetteguy you have a beautiful tank, no doubt about it! With 2 water changes per year, how do you export nutrients? How old is your setup and how big is your sump? What type and how many gallons is your skimmer rated for? Do you grow macro algae or have an ATS? Do you run GFO?

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan your system from the ground up, you're probably going with a custom tank, and looking to invest about $15,000 into the TANK ITSELF. Yes, JUST the tank starts at around that price. Most people don't realize nice custom tanks in this size range cost in excess of $25,000+ if you're going with at least half of the bells and whistles.

I think these numbers are a little inflated, unless you are only referring to reef savy or nutso systems the like of ATM on Tv. Not saying you have to only go with Petco either but your lfs can surely get a decent deal on a big boy if you’re seriously interested. You can get a Tank only 500g on glass cages for 3500 brand new (shipping will cost a few hundred more I believe) but $25k- that baby better be a built in with sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

IMG_1901.JPG

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this number is a little inflated, unless you are only referring to reef savy or nutso systems

Those are exactly the kind of tanks I'm saying people DON'T get when they're doing a big build. I'm talking Reef Savvy, A.G.E., Crystal Dynamics, etc etc. No run of the mill stuff, big custom 20k tanks only.

I don't know a single person with a tank over 300+g who didn't get a completely custom high end tank made by a master tank builder. No El Tankos here.

E_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are exactly the kind of tanks I'm saying people DON'T get when they're doing a big build. I'm talking Reef Savvy, A.G.E., Crystal Dynamics, etc etc. No run of the mill stuff, big custom 20k tanks only.

I don't know a single person with a tank over 300+g who didn't get a completely custom high end tank made by a master tank builder. No El Tankos here.

So your saying no one on here uses glass cages tanks over 300g on here? Also, by “el Tanko” you mean that they are far inferior to reef savvy or crystal dynamics?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your saying no one on here uses glass cages tanks over 300g on here? Also, by “el Tanko” you mean that they are far inferior to reef savvy or crystal dynamics?

Kind of.

I'm saying usually when people setup a big tank, they don't screw around with something like that. They go to a major manufacturer, because it needs to be sturdy, reliable, and have ALL the options they need (Steel bracing, Eurobrace if you live in Earthquake country, Drilled area's in the EuroBrace for Sea Swirls, sea sweeps, etc etc). In my area, I can tell you it's extremely rare for anybody to have a tank over 240 gallons that isn't a complete custom tank, designed from the ground up for all the users needs.

And yes, non-custom tanks are FAR inferior for a myriad of reasons. Build quality, steel bracing, steel stands, longevity, customization, equipment limitations, strips of glass to strengthen silicone corners, routed PVC bottom that's significantly stronger than glass, etc etc etc.

If you want anything mildly big, you are doing yourself a staggering disservice going with a basic tank. You need it to last 10 years+, be exceptionally sturdy, reliable, etc etc.

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a smaller tank is easier than a big tank if you don’t have the funds for all the fancy equipments. All you really need to keep a small tank stable is water change. No fancy protein skimmers, calcium reactors, biopellets, gfo, etc. I have keep a pair of 9 gallon nano for over 5 years by simply water change. Try that on a 300 gallon+ without fancy equipments.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back