• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Is Bulk Reef Supply getting too big?

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

PaulRose1818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know, Bulk Reef Supply recently acquired Marine Depot and Neptune Systems. Initially I thought this would be ok and may even lead to lower prices. However, I recently had a terrible buying experience with Bulk Reef Supply and am concerned that if BRS gets too much control over the market, it will not be good for the hobby at all. Here is what happened"

I recently ordered a new Ecotech Vectra L2 from BRS for full price (no discounts). About a week later I received a box from BRS that was shipped by UPS. First problem, the box was beat up and broken. Bigger problem was that they sent me the wrong item. Instead of sending me a Vectra L2, they sent me a Vectra M2. The M2 is a smaller less expensive pump. I immediately notified BRS of the problem. They responded that they would ship me the proper item I ordered only after I sent them back the wrong item they shipped to me. To make matters worse, BRS sent me a prepaid return label and told me that I had to go and take the time to wrap up the damaged box and then take it over to my local UPS store. Only once BRS was advised that I had dropped off the package at UPS, only then would BRS ship out the correct item I ordered. For the hassle, the customer service agent told me that BRS would give me a store credit worth $20. I told them it was unreasonable for them to ask me to take the time to go to a UPS store and wait in line (30 mins average) to drop off the return package and so I asked them to have the return box picked up by UPS. That's when things got hairy. The customer service rep called me on the phone and was acting very angry that I had requested such a thing and told me that BRS would not ship the actual item I ordered until it got picked up by UPS which could take days. The BRS customer service rep was pushy and agitated with me, especially when I told him that I though a $20 credit was not satisfactory for sending me the wrong item and then asking me to fix their broken box. He told me that BRS now has "policies" that are strictly adhered to.

Here is my concern. As BRS continues to consolidate its power over the hobby, there will be less competition. Less competition generally means (1) higher prices and (2) strict return "policies" that are not favorable to the customer. What do you think?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know, Bulk Reef Supply recently acquired Marine Depot and Neptune Systems. Initially I thought this would be ok and may even lead to lower prices. However, I recently had a terrible buying experience with Bulk Reef Supply and am concerned that if BRS gets too much control over the market, it will not be good for the hobby at all. Here is what happened"

I recently ordered a new Ecotech Vectra L2 from BRS for full price (no discounts). About a week later I received a box from BRS that was shipped by UPS. First problem, the box was beat up and broken. Bigger problem was that they sent me the wrong item. Instead of sending me a Vectra L2, they sent me a Vectra M2. The M2 is a smaller less expensive pump. I immediately notified BRS of the problem. They responded that they would ship me the proper item I ordered only after I sent them back the wrong item they shipped to me. To make matters worse, BRS sent me a prepaid return label and told me that I had to go and take the time to wrap up the damaged box and then take it over to my local UPS store. Only once BRS was advised that I had dropped off the package at UPS, only then would BRS ship out the correct item I ordered. For the hassle, the customer service agent told me that BRS would give me a store credit worth $20. I told them it was unreasonable for them to ask me to take the time to go to a UPS store and wait in line (30 mins average) to drop off the return package and so I asked them to have the return box picked up by UPS. That's when things got hairy. The customer service rep called me on the phone and was acting very angry that I had requested such a thing and told me that BRS would not ship the actual item I ordered until it got picked up by UPS which could take days. The BRS customer service rep was pushy and agitated with me, especially when I told him that I though a $20 credit was not satisfactory for sending me the wrong item and then asking me to fix their broken box. He told me that BRS now has "policies" that are strictly adhered to.

Here is my concern. As BRS continues to consolidate its power over the hobby, there will be less competition. Less competition generally means (1) higher prices and (2) strict return "policies" that are not favorable to the customer. What do you think?

Hi @PaulRose1818 ,
I'm so sorry to hear that we shipped you the wrong item! I'm confident that we can make this right. Can you please send me a PM with either your order number or email on your BRS account? I'd like to bring this to the attention of our customer service team manager so that we can get you the pump that you ordered in a timely manner.

I look forward to hearing from you

OP
OP
P

PaulRose1818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @PaulRose1818 ,
I'm so sorry to hear that we shipped you the wrong item! I'm confident that we can make this right. Can you please send me a PM with either your order number or email on your BRS account? I'd like to bring this to the attention of our customer service team manager so that we can get you the pump that you ordered in a timely manner.

Hi @PaulRose1818 ,

I was unable to PM you through the Reef2Reef system. Please provide me with another way to get you the information.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unable to PM you through the Reef2Reef system. Please provide me with another way to get you the information.
I got in touch with our customer service team manager and she informed us that UPS has picked up the package and it arrived back here today. Our support team said that you requested a refund instead of a replacement, so this refund was initiated earlier today. If you're still in need of assistance, just reply to your open support email ticket with "attn Jen" and Jen, our customer service team manager is happy to help in any way she can.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back